Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What a day

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 12:48 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
What a day

What a day.....

Working with limited time in life I have to find ways to ride around my kids and work. I planned out a ride from my son's preschool that came to 11 miles. Keep in mind I had never ridden this route before.

Starting out there was a lot of upward climb, not extreme but enough for slower speeds and hard work.

Mistake #1 : I missed my first turn resulting in 5k of more hills. I was riding alone, no one but me to realize the mistake.

Mistake#2: Assuming those rather large dogs I passed during mistake #1 inside the fence were no threat. Seems that nice, secure fence has a hole in one end, out they came and the chase was on. Result: 130 cadence as they were trying to bite my feet and I was trying to get away.

Back on route, doing good now.....ah crap, more hills.

Mistake #3 : Getting kinda worried now that I'm about 8 miles into my ride and I have one hour to get back to my son's preschool in that hour for pick up​​​​​​ and sorta feeling lost. I stop at an intersection (keep in mind I'm in the middle of the country area so little traffic). A beater car pulls up on the opposite lane at the stop sign, I'm checking my phone for a route to get me back. I make eye contact and notice they are sitting there looking around for a very extreme amount of time. I still have my phone in my hand. I honestly think they were contemplating robbing me. The mistake....not carrying my small pistol on me, this will be rectified from now on, this world is becoming violent. I honestly think my prolonged eye contact is what made them change their mind.

They leave, I make a route choice and continue on going what I hope was the right choice. Yep, more hills. I get on a road I recognize from when I lived out there about 15 years ago, feeling better about making it back on time. On the last stretch and it seemed it just went on FOREVER.

So, a somewhat planned 11 mile ride turned into a 14.5 mile ride with hills, getting lost and thugs.....
Whew.....

Last edited by mynewnchome; 02-05-19 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 09:06 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
What a day.....

Working with limited time in life I have to find ways to ride around my kids and work. I planned out a ride from my son's preschool that came to 11 miles. Keep in mind I had never ridden this route before.

Starting out there was a lot of upward climb, not extreme but enough for slower speeds and hard work.

Mistake #1 : I missed my first turn resulting in 5k of more hills. I was riding alone, no one but me to realize the mistake.

Mistake#2: Assuming those rather large dogs I passed during mistake #1 inside the fence were no threat. Seems that nice, secure fence has a hole in one end, out they came and the chase was on. Result: 130 cadence as they were trying to bite my feet and I was trying to get away.

Back on route, doing good now.....ah crap, more hills.

Mistake #3 : Getting kinda worried now that I'm about 8 miles into my ride and I have one hour to get back to my son's preschool in that hour for pick up​​​​​​ and sorta feeling lost. I stop at an intersection (keep in mind I'm in the middle of the country area so little traffic). A beater car pulls up on the opposite lane at the stop sign, I'm checking my phone for a route to get me back. I make eye contact and notice they are sitting there looking around for a very extreme amount of time. I still have my phone in my hand. I honestly think they were contemplating robbing me. The mistake....not carrying my small pistol on me, this will be rectified from now on, this world is becoming violent. I honestly think my prolonged eye contact is what made them change their mind.

They leave, I make a route choice and continue on going what I hope was the right choice. Yep, more hills. I get on a road I recognize from when I lived out there about 15 years ago, feeling better about making it back on time. On the last stretch and it seemed it just went on FOREVER.

So, a somewhat planned 11 mile ride turned into a 14.5 mile ride with hills, getting lost and thugs.....
Whew.....

You're not serious about the gun are you? Seems a bit OTT. Well done on the extra mileage!