Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much rust is too much?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 09:26 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi folks

I recently picked up a Dawes Super Galaxy 531 from my local recycle centre. It's in pretty bad shape, and I had already decided the frame was beyond redemption because of the rust on the drive side chain stay. But curiosity got me brushing away at the rust to take a closer look, and it's not as bad as I thought.

But...

I don't want to ride a bike that isn't safe, but I don't know how to tell when a frame is beyond redemption. I've done a fair bit of internet searching, but I can't find any relevant info.

Any suggestions? (I can post pics if you want to see)

Thanks
Old 07-21-19, 09:34 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Pics would help. Just sayin'...
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-21-19, 09:50 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Pics would help. Just sayin'...
Haha, yeah, sorry. Attached (only the chain stay has visible rust, and check out those fancy lugs)

Chainstay

Purrrty!
Old 07-21-19, 09:59 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Looks gnarly to me. I'd sand off the rust to bare metal and check for deep pitting, but can't advise how deep would be acceptable. If the rust has eaten through most of the steel, I'd say forget it. Chainstay could be replaced, if the frame is otherwise a keeper. Interested to hear from those more learned on the subject.

Thanks for posting!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-21-19, 10:13 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Looks gnarly to me. I'd sand off the rust to bare metal and check for deep pitting, but can't advise how deep would be acceptable. If the rust has eaten through most of the steel, I'd say forget it. Chainstay could be replaced, if the frame is otherwise a keeper. Interested to hear from those more learned on the subject.

Thanks for posting!
Thanks for your input. I agree, but have no idea how thick the steel should be on the chainstay. Also interested to know the thoughts of more experienced folks
Old 07-21-19, 10:35 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,455 Times in 3,192 Posts
The thing you have going for you here is that the Galaxy's rear triangle is really beefy. Only the main triangle is db531. (Not sure about the fork.)

But, unless you have a pile of parts and wheelsets on hand, it probably won't be worth it to build up this frame. I'd clean it up and just display it until you find a donor bike or can otherwise justify further investment.
Old 07-21-19, 10:39 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
One way to remove rust is to soak the bike in a dilute solution of oxalic acid. There have been a number of threads about this technique on this forum. Perhaps you can use the search function to find them.
Old 07-21-19, 10:55 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
remove the rust using wire brush and your choice of chemical assists.
Without understanding how much good steel is left, hard to say. If it bends, or folds up from hands alone, only option is repacement.
Old 07-21-19, 10:56 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The thing you have going for you here is that the Galaxy's rear triangle is really beefy. Only the main triangle is db531. (Not sure about the fork.)

But, unless you have a pile of parts and wheelsets on hand, it probably won't be worth it to build up this frame. I'd clean it up and just display it until you find a donor bike or can otherwise justify further investment.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a pile of parts on hand and a rebuild might be a way to distract myself from work for a good while (I'm always up for that!)

Originally Posted by ironwood
One way to remove rust is to soak the bike in a dilute solution of oxalic acid. There have been a number of threads about this technique on this forum. Perhaps you can use the search function to find them.
Thanks - I've heard of the oxalic acid bath method, but I've got nowhere safe to set it up, so it's manual rust treatments only for me. The closest I've been able to get to that method is wrapping a frame in rags soaked with acid which works fairly well, but generally needs to be repeated 2-3 times which is a massive pain in the bum.

I'll have to give it some thought as to how much time it's worth I guess.
Old 07-21-19, 11:24 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My favorite trick is wire wheel on an angle grinder. It makes short work of old British rust and older British paint. A wire wheel on a drill also works but the drill motor isn't as fast and the handle isn't so ergonomic for this job.

In my experience drilling holes in frames, cracking frames, and brazing frames back together, based on that photo I'd bet you'll be fine. 531 or not, chainstays are really thick-walled. If something does happen, it'll probably be a slow crack starting. So inspect the area early and often. Initial inspection would indeed benefit from a rust removal so you can see any cracks that might be starting, and how deep any pits go. Other than that, I would wholeheartedly enjoy this ride, and once it wins your trust you can probably inspect it less-often.

Last edited by scarlson; 07-21-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 12:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Yeah there are a few but I wish we had a master thread or even a sticky on this. There are ways this can go wrong.

This is one of the better how to threads I've read:

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

I think you're suggestion is spot on. If there is this much rust on the outside, there is bound to be rust on the inside. This bike likely needs an OA bath.
Old 07-21-19, 12:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Any, that being said, this is pretty extreme and will require some consideration, the OA bath is needed to stop or at least slow down whats inside.

Then you will need to decide where you want the outside to end up, regardless you should stop it on the outside as well.
Old 07-21-19, 02:20 PM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah there are a few but I wish we had a master thread or even a sticky on this. There are ways this can go wrong.

This is one of the better how to threads I've read:

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

I think you're suggestion is spot on. If there is this much rust on the outside, there is bound to be rust on the inside. This bike likely needs an OA bath.
Originally Posted by merziac
Any, that being said, this is pretty extreme and will require some consideration, the OA bath is needed to stop or at least slow down whats inside.

Then you will need to decide where you want the outside to end up, regardless you should stop it on the outside as well.
Originally Posted by scarlson
My favorite trick is wire wheel on an angle grinder. It makes short work of old British rust and older British paint. A wire wheel on a drill also works but the drill motor isn't as fast and the handle isn't so ergonomic for this job.

In my experience drilling holes in frames, cracking frames, and brazing frames back together, based on that photo I'd bet you'll be fine. 531 or not, chainstays are really thick-walled. If something does happen, it'll probably be a slow crack starting. So inspect the area early and often. Initial inspection would indeed benefit from a rust removal so you can see any cracks that might be starting, and how deep any pits go. Other than that, I would wholeheartedly enjoy this ride, and once it wins your trust you can probably inspect it less-often.
Thanks again everyone. I'm always really impressed with the helpfulness of this community. Hopefully I'll learn enough one day to be able to pass some of this on myself...

I hadn't even considered the rust on the inside.... Maybe it's time to find a big-ass plastic container with a lid then... I definitely need something dog-proof. If anyone has any suggestions (this is, of course, a 25" frame...) for something I can get in the UK, I'd really appreciate it. Time to hit Amazon search I guess.
Old 07-21-19, 02:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
Thanks again everyone. I'm always really impressed with the helpfulness of this community. Hopefully I'll learn enough one day to be able to pass some of this on myself...

I hadn't even considered the rust on the inside.... Maybe it's time to find a big-ass plastic container with a lid then... I definitely need something dog-proof. If anyone has any suggestions (this is, of course, a 25" frame...) for something I can get in the UK, I'd really appreciate it. Time to hit Amazon search I guess.
Kiddie swim pool with plywood for a lid.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-21-19, 07:54 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I will not claim to have a good sense of the condition from the photos. However, I'd say take it for a bumpy ride. If it breaks, so be it. If it doesn't break (and I don't think it will), treat it and get it re-painted.

Treatment could be oxalic acid, wire brush, ... whatever. Maybe use the Bondo sealer (not the filler, the red sealer) to smoothe the surface. It might be that an automotive primer/filler will be all you need.

You see, I think the bike is structurally sound. I'd look forward to using it and riding it.

I would paint it, myself. That would reduce the monetary investment and would provide a VERY nice paint job. The quality of the finish is almost completely determined by the quality of the surface prep and sanding. That gloss overcoat is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-22-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 02:23 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Coincidentally, I've just finished giving oxalic acid baths to several of my frames which I've neglected (put away wet and let to rust). I have some experience with OA baths. For this latest round (3 frames in 3 days), I built a simple frame using some wood on hand, some L-brackets bent to the required angles, then lined with large trash bags and a shower curtain, topped with plywood and heavy rocks (I also have pets). I think this is the best way to go. The frame and shower curtain can be broken down, stored easily, and were less than $15 total. I use ~1 tablespoon of OA powder (wood bleach) per gallon of water, an let it soak about 24 hours, depending on how bad the rust is. The "kiddie pools" are fine but they use require a lot more volume than the frame-shaped coffin box. The end product is a grimy yellow liquid, which you should neutralize using baking soda.

Old 07-22-19, 02:37 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
You call that rust!

Wow, there is nothing to worry about there. Wire wheel it. Wire will not remove any good steel. After that lightly sand it, clean with solvent, rust converter, sand again, prime coat it, paint/clear coat and then polish, Good for another 50 years.
Old 07-22-19, 05:11 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Wow, there is nothing to worry about there. Wire wheel it. Wire will not remove any good steel. After that lightly sand it, clean with solvent, rust converter, sand again, prime coat it, paint/clear coat and then polish, Good for another 50 years.
Agreed, as a life long native of the "Rust Belt" that surface rust wouldn't scare me a bit and I've lost more cars and trucks to rust than most of you have probably owned. How much rust was on the bottom inside the bottom bracket shell? That would give some idea if there is rust inside the stays. I've torn down old bikes that were solid rust on the outside but looked factory fresh inside. If the inside of the BB shell is clean or just has some light rust it would be very doubtful the stays are rusted inside, that frame will probably outlast a couple generations if properly cared for.
Old 07-22-19, 10:54 AM
TropicStudios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, a wire brush and some elbow grease and you should be able to get the surface rust out.
Old 07-25-19, 12:32 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

1903 Rust bucket

That rust is 116 years old. Two speed Sunbeam direct drive.

116 year old rust is hard to come by. I decided to preserve it for prosperity. Clear coated it for my grandchildren and added 22 more gears for the Jazz.

Last edited by Johno59; 07-25-19 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For Johno59:
Old 07-29-19, 07:02 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had no idea I would encounter so much expertise in rust here. Thanks for all your replies!
Old 07-29-19, 10:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Coincidentally, I've just finished giving oxalic acid baths to several of my frames which I've neglected (put away wet and let to rust). I have some experience with OA baths. For this latest round (3 frames in 3 days), I built a simple frame using some wood on hand, some L-brackets bent to the required angles, then lined with large trash bags and a shower curtain, topped with plywood and heavy rocks (I also have pets). I think this is the best way to go. The frame and shower curtain can be broken down, stored easily, and were less than $15 total. I use ~1 tablespoon of OA powder (wood bleach) per gallon of water, an let it soak about 24 hours, depending on how bad the rust is. The "kiddie pools" are fine but they use require a lot more volume than the frame-shaped coffin box. The end product is a grimy yellow liquid, which you should neutralize using baking soda.

I have done the exact same thing. I bought a scrap 3/4" plywood piece and several "L brackets" bent the brackets to the approximate frame angles. I ripped the plywood to 9" widths and cut the sides to contain a 58 cm frame with a bit of margin. For a liner, I bought four square yards of pool/pond liner from a home improvement store. This set up can be covered with a sheet of plywood for safety, although I have neither kids at home nor dogs. I do the soaking in my garage (out of direct sunlight). Simple and easy to use.

It's easy to store the frame by hanging it on a utility wall or stacking it on an upper shelf. The liner folds to 12" x 12" by 6" pretty easily.
Old 07-29-19, 11:26 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I just finished earlier this year one of the rustiest resurrections I have ever done. A 1972 ItalVega. I bought it for $100 figuring the Campy stuff was worth it. I ended up spending about a year off and on getting the rust off with various grades of steel wool.Lots of luck , Joe
With Rust!!

Bike is now presentable with patina
Old 07-29-19, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts

There is a place where rust is good (and it involves steel tubes, though we tend to call them "pipes" - plumbing. I grew up in a house with a deep well drilled into granite. Our water tasted of rust. (Except for that, it was great drinking water. Radically better tasting than city water.) We stayed healthy. Then my sis moved to another big city. After a time was diagnosed as anemic. Proof, rust can be good! (You could plumb your water bottles to run through the frame and get some of the same benefit. )
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-29-19, 01:37 PM
Johno59

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I just finished earlier this year one of the rustiest resurrections I have ever done. A 1972 ItalVega. I bought it for $100 figuring the Campy stuff was worth it. I ended up spending about a year off and on getting the rust off with various grades of steel wool.Lots of luck , Joe
With Rust!!

Bike is now presentable with patina
Wow! That is a sweet bike. Old too cool for school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.