Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 years later, another Mercier

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-22-19, 01:43 AM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

So, this is my first thread on BF. I only found the forums recently, after getting more serious about doing some online research on Mercier bikes. My dad gave me a new burgundy red Mercier (probably a model 100) in 1969, for my 13th birthday.

It was stolen in 1970, and unfortunately I never saw it again. A few years later, I got a Bianchi "Strada". It was sort of an entry level Bianchi, I guess (it was apparently of a type that was marketed at some of the big discount stores back in the day). I rode that quite a bit from the mid 1970's to the late 80's. It was a decent bike that I put a lot of miles on, and I had it far longer than the stolen Mercier, but to this day I still feel far more nostalgia and sentimentality for that Mercier that my dad gave me. After my wife and I started a family, I got a Schwinn cruiser and hadn't owned another road bike since... until a couple of weeks ago. Off and on for the past several years, I've had my eyes open for a Mercier similar to the one I had. I've seen some come up for sale locally, but none of them were right (model, condition, price, color, etc). To my surprise, I found one a couple of weeks ago via a local Craigslist ad which seems to be completely original except for new tires, and it's in very nice condition for its age (I think it probably dates to about 1970-72). It's not without a few flaws, but for $80, I couldn't say no. It's apparently been owned locally for it's entire life, and my sense is that it's been safely stored in a garage for most of that time.

I know Merciers are not all that desirable to most serious bike enthusiasts, but frankly I'm not really a road bike connoisseur (not yet, anyway!). I look at bikes in general as functional and useful works of art. I could elaborate on that, but for my purposes here I just would say that I think this bike is beautiful (and has a sentimentality factor that's pretty strong for me), and I look forward to getting it tuned up and adjusted at my LBS, and riding it soon.

As I mentioned in another thread, the CLB hoods are pretty toasty, so I'd love to find some nice NOS examples (caramel brown, preferably). I saw some on ebay in the Netherlands, but they're being sold on their original levers. Anyway, I know there are various replacements available (Cane Creek and such), but I'm kind of nerdy about things looking original on a vintage item like this.

Also, the saddle has been a bit of a puzzle. The guy I bought this from had two Merciers (the other one also from the period, but it had the Poulidor decal in the seat tube), and they both had this exact same style of saddle. It's Asian (black quilted vinyl over a padded cream-colored nylon frame), but I suspect that it's original to the bike (perhaps installed in the U.S. after the bike was imported). I've seen these on other French bikes of the era, including a few Peugeots, thus my suspicion that it's always been on there. Mine is in very good shape, and my plan is to see how comfortable it is before I even think about changing it. I think my '69 Mercier had an unpadded black leather saddle (maybe Ideale?), so that might be another option I'll explore.

I've cleaned the bike up a bit more since this photo was taken, but haven't taken any more pics as of yet. Thanks for looking, and for providing such an interesting forum.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 08-06-19 at 11:28 AM. Reason: additional photos
Likes For bfuser191509248:
Old 07-22-19, 05:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
That old Mercier is in great shape and pleasing to the eye. A few have come my way, over the years. One of the last to show up was a product of boredom...

My son was visiting me and bored. I told him to hop on one of my bikes and cruise the back lanes in my neighborhood. An hour later, he and I jumped into the Ford Ranger and drove a few blocks to pick up this lovely old bike which was already in a small utility trailer that was filled with other stuff, obviously ready to go to the dump.

When I knocked on the door, that junk bike was suddenly worth $80.00 CND, which I paid in a heart beat...
Old 07-22-19, 05:54 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Oops, in the post above, I showed the wrong bike. Sorry. This is the one I meant to show...
Old 07-22-19, 06:09 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
One of the bikes that I keep talking about parting with, but somehow never do, is an ancient, crusty Mercier 100 or 200 that probably started out much like JimR56's machine above, but apparently led a hard life that included at least one front end crash bad enough to kill the original fork and bend the top and down tubes. By the time it reached me it was covered in rattle-can blue and had mismatched wheels, cranks, a replacement Akisu fork, pop-riveted bottle cage bosses, and a French fixed cup paired with English adjustable cup and lockring in the bottom bracket. I disassembled it, straightened the frame using a length of plumbing pipe lashed to a utility pole, cleaned and repacked bearings and adjusted everything - and lo, it was another exhibit in the case for the French having a way with gaspipe. Not bad for a bike purchased for $9.99 at the Salvation Army.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 07-22-19, 06:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
One of the bikes that I keep talking about parting with, but somehow never do, is an ancient, crusty Mercier 100 or 200 that probably started out much like JimR56's machine above, but apparently led a hard life that included at least one front end crash bad enough to kill the original fork and bend the top and down tubes. By the time it reached me it was covered in rattle-can blue and had mismatched wheels, cranks, a replacement Akisu fork, pop-riveted bottle cage bosses, and a French fixed cup paired with English adjustable cup and lockring in the bottom bracket. I disassembled it, straightened the frame using a length of plumbing pipe lashed to a utility pole, cleaned and repacked bearings and adjusted everything - and lo, it was another exhibit in the case for the French having a way with gaspipe. Not bad for a bike purchased for $9.99 at the Salvation Army.

That bike has character and a back story,
Old 07-22-19, 06:17 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by JimR56
So, this is my first thread on BF. I only found the forums recently, after getting more serious about doing some online research on Mercier bikes. My dad gave me a new burgundy red Mercier (probably a model 100) in 1969, for my 13th birthday. It was stolen in 1970, and unfortunately I never saw it again. A few years later, I got a Bianchi "Strada". It was sort of an entry level Bianchi, I guess (it was apparently of a type that was marketed at some of the big discount stores back in the day). I rode that quite a bit from the mid 1970's to the late 80's. It was a decent bike that I put a lot of miles on, and I had it far longer than the stolen Mercier, but to this day I still feel far more nostalgia and sentimentality for that Mercier that my dad gave me. After my wife and I started a family, I got a Schwinn cruiser and hadn't owned another road bike since... until a couple of weeks ago. Off and on for the past several years, I've had my eyes open for a Mercier similar to the one I had. I've seen some come up for sale locally, but none of them were right (model, condition, price, color, etc). To my surprise, I found one a couple of weeks ago via a local Craigslist ad which seems to be completely original except for new tires, and it's in very nice condition for its age (I think it probably dates to about 1970-72). It's not without a few flaws, but for $80, I couldn't say no. It's apparently been owned locally for it's entire life, and my sense is that it's been safely stored in a garage for most of that time.

I know Merciers are not all that desirable to most serious bike enthusiasts, but frankly I'm not really a road bike connoisseur (not yet, anyway!). I look at bikes in general as functional and useful works of art. I could elaborate on that, but for my purposes here I just would say that I think this bike is beautiful (and has a sentimentality factor that's pretty strong for me), and I look forward to getting it tuned up and adjusted at my LBS, and riding it soon.

As I mentioned in another thread, the CLB hoods are pretty toasty, so I'd love to find some nice NOS examples (caramel brown, preferably). I saw some on ebay in the Netherlands, but they're being sold on their original levers. Anyway, I know there are various replacements available (Cane Creek and such), but I'm kind of nerdy about things looking original on a vintage item like this.

Also, the saddle has been a bit of a puzzle. The guy I bought this from had two Merciers (the other one also from the period, but it had the Poulidor decal in the seat tube), and they both had this exact same style of saddle. It's Asian (black quilted vinyl over a padded cream-colored nylon frame), but I suspect that it's original to the bike (perhaps installed in the U.S. after the bike was imported). I've seen these on other French bikes of the era, including a few Peugeots, thus my suspicion that it's always been on there. Mine is in very good shape, and my plan is to see how comfortable it is before I even think about changing it. I think my '69 Mercier had an unpadded black leather saddle (maybe Ideale?), so that might be another option I'll explore.

I've cleaned the bike up a bit more since this photo was taken, but haven't taken any more pics as of yet. Thanks for looking, and for providing such an interesting forum.

This bike is beautiful and well worth fixing up. A leather saddle would be right on this bike and you can likely find a decent one if you hunt around on craigslist (Brooks are widely available and often found on French bikes). A bike this old really needs to be overhauled. Info on Merciers is not easy to come by on the web though.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-22-19, 06:47 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Au contraire, Mercier is very desirable to many of us who recall pink Merciers in the peloton. You got a nice one even if it isn't pink.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 07-22-19, 07:19 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Originally Posted by bikemig
That bike has character and a back story,
It rides way better than one would think it would. I know there are many who adore the ride of Peugeot U-08s, but this one is closer in ride quality to my Liberia, another French gaspipe special that somehow manages to actually be special. Merciers are cool old bikes, period.

Of course, remembering how this bike came to be called Straightened Raymond helps in appreciating its je ne sais quois -

Old 07-22-19, 07:21 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
It rides way better than one would think it would. I know there are many who adore the ride of Peugeot U-08s, but this one is closer in ride quality to my Liberia, another French gaspipe special that somehow manages to actually be special. Merciers are cool old bikes, period.

Of course, remembering how this bike came to be called Straightened Raymond helps in appreciating its je ne sais quois -

This picture is almost perfect. It needs an adult beverage--say a beer--to complete the picture!
Old 07-22-19, 07:24 AM
rustystrings61 

This picture is almost perfect. It needs an adult beverage--say a beer--to complete the picture!
In this part of the world, the beer should be in the hands of an onlooker pressed into service with the immortal words, "Hold my beer."
Old 07-22-19, 09:02 AM
schwinnderella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts

My similar green 300?
Likes For schwinnderella:
Old 07-22-19, 10:37 AM
bikemig 

snip . . .

snip . . .
I agree with pretty much everything you said that bikes are functional and useful works of art but I'll disagree that vintage Merciers are not desirable to serious bike enthusiasts. Plenty of people love old French bikes and there are a lot of great Merciers. Yours is one of them.

This is my 70s Mercier 300 as I bought it; I have not yet restored mine:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-22-19, 10:47 AM
TropicStudios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful!
Old 07-22-19, 11:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I don't have a bug for Mercier, but totally concur that there are bikes out there that worth saving. For nostalgia.... and many other reasons... sometimes only curiosity, and that's good enough.

More than just 50yo bent steel, at least to me.

photo post script:

After frame straightening, and subsequently Zeus-ified in the build

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-22-19 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-22-19, 12:52 PM
bfuser191509248

Wow, you guys are making me feel even better about this find. Thanks for all the replies thus far.

First of all, I should mention that I had thought about mentioning Randy in my initial post. Randy, I am the guy who contacted you earlier in the year (February?) via the address on your website. I told you my story and sent you your own photo of that burgundy Mercier (the first one you posted here) as a guideline for what I was seeking. You were very kind and helpful (thanks again), and your website is still a great resource (I used the aluminum foil technique on my chrome, btw). The second photo you posted above looks even closer to the color of my original '69 bike. A little more red and a little less brown than the example in your first photo, but maybe it's just the photo processes that make the two look a bit different. I actually have a few photos of me with my original bike, but they were developed as slides, otherwise I'd post one. Mine did not have the chromed rear stays; the paint/decal ornamentation on the lugs and upper forks was relatively minimal; and the white bar tape only went up to the bottom of the brake levers. These things lead me to assume that it was a model 100.

I guess I should probably explain my comment about Merciers not being all that desirable. I have no illusions about being knowledgeable on this subject, but I got that impression from reading these forums (I did a very thorough board search for every thread and post in the history of the forums with the word 'Mercier') and also communicating with a few bike shops with a lot of experience. Anyway, I suppose this is naturally going to be a subjective thing. Doesn't matter. Those of us who are attracted to Merciers have our reasons, and I'm not exactly frustrated that I'm apparently the only person who was willing to part with $80 for this lovely bike! (long story, but the ad was up for awhile before I managed to get it)

Rusty, nice save on that damaged bike. The blue paint with the red bar tape immediately reminded me of another current thread topic.

bikemig, thanks for your input also. Overhauled it shall be, I just need to find the right person to do that. I agree that a leather saddle would look great, and I'll be keeping my eyes open one way or the other. Saddles are works of art too, imo. Randy sent me a photo of a Torpado that he had for sale, and I was tempted to buy the thing just because of the gorgeous leather saddle! Oh, and your lime green 300 is a looker too. I want to talk more about Mercier decals and their evolution, but I'm running short on time at the moment. More on that later.

CV-6, I've saved lots of photos of Merciers off the web, and there are plenty of nice pink ones in there. I was tempted by a pink example several months ago, btw. It was a bit too far away.

Thanks again to everybody who's joined in so far.

schwinnderella, that's a beauty. Mine doesn't have the 531 markings, so I think mine might be a 200.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 07-22-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 05:38 PM
bfuser191509248

Thought I would post a follow-up on the saddle topic. I found a photo online of the exact style of saddle that's on my Mercier, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it:

As I said above, I had thought that it could be original to the bike, based on seeing other Merciers (and Peugeots) with this saddle. The diamond patterning kind of had a euro flavor, I thought. Maybe I'm crazy. Anyway, I also see a lot of references to BMX when these come up in searches, which adds some doubt. Since the bike isn't ready to ride yet, I won't know for a bit how comfortable it might be, but I'm curious whether anyone else has thoughts on the possibility that this saddle has always been with this bike. Anyone else seen many of these on vintage road bikes? I know that my '69 had an Ideale (black) leather saddle, but I wondered whether other saddles could have been used by retailers after the bikes were imported over here from France.

Still would like to get into the evolution of Mercier decals (and perhaps trying to use this for narrowing down dates of manufacture). Going into details will probably get fairly involved, and it may take some time to organize a coherent post on the subject, but I think it will be fun and hopefully educational (to me).
Old 07-22-19, 05:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
So nice to see that there are other colors other than pink for Merciers!
Old 07-22-19, 10:00 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Chombi1
So nice to see that there are other colors other than pink for Merciers!
There were seven standard colors listed in the early 70's catalog (red, orange, yellow, kelly green, sky blue, purple, and white). There were different varieties of red (including the aforementioned burgundy), and I think the purple may have varied also. A medium blue appeared at some point also. Some other colors were available via custom order (lime green, for example). Not sure where the pink fits into the timeline in terms of imported bikes. There were a number of other color variants that came along later on Merciers in the 70's, and 80's.
Old 07-23-19, 05:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My 1973 Mercier was light blue, with black, gold and white trim. Only the head tube badge was a foil transfer. The down tube and seat tube logos were painted in a multi-step process that was finished with a sort of air brush fade, if that makes any sense at all.

I recently saw photos that I had taken of the frame back in ~1983 or so. Using a 35mm film camera. I'll need to scan or image the prints to post them. PG
Old 07-23-19, 01:28 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My 1973 Mercier was light blue, with black, gold and white trim. Only the head tube badge was a foil transfer. The down tube and seat tube logos were painted in a multi-step process that was finished with a sort of air brush fade, if that makes any sense at all.

I recently saw photos that I had taken of the frame back in ~1983 or so. Using a 35mm film camera. I'll need to scan or image the prints to post them. PG
Thanks Phil. Not sure I follow you regarding the air brush fade. Photos would be great.

For what it's worth, I've saved pics of a couple of light blue Merciers from the early 70's. Quite different from each other:

Old 07-24-19, 01:02 PM
bfuser191509248

Hoping for more discussion here, but in the meantime I'll be adding some miscellaneous Mercier info and links from time to time. I'd like to gradually make this a sort of Mercier database, if possible. Please feel free to add to it.

I thought I had a scan of the page for the Model 100, but I seem to have lost it (and forget where I found it). Any help there would be appreciated. At any rate, the following spec lists pretty much cover things. (Edit: found missing page)

Mercier catalog from Beacon Cycle and Supply Co. (early to mid '70s) lists the following specs for each of their models:

Model 300 ("Ultra Road"):
Reynolds 531 double butted frame, front and rear forks.
Chromium plated front fork ends.
Simplex Criterieum front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mount shift controls.
Normandy Competition Dural QR large flange hubs
Stronglight headset.
Stronglight professional crank set and chainwheel 46 x 52 (picture looks like a Stronglight 93).
Simplex cable clips.
Dural pedals with reflectors.
Chrome seat post.
MAFAC brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Atom 66 competition freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Mavic Monthlery alloy rims.
Chromed straight gauge spokes.
Hutchinson tubular sew-up racing tires.
Ideale 2000 molded saddle.
Dural handlebar.
Dural AMC handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump with AFA express connector.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Toe clips and straps.
Approximate Weight: 22 lbs.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25"

Model 200 ("Le Mans Club"):
Luxtub tubing - frame, front and rear forks.
Simplex Prestige front and rear gear changers and frame mount shift controls.
Normandy Dural QR large flange hubs
Precision fork ends.
3 pin steel chainwheel 46 x 52.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Steel rattrap pedals with reflectors.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Mavic Sport alloy rims.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson sew-up tubular racing tires.
Molded vinyl covered saddle.
Dural handlebar stem.
Dural handlebar.
Tornade Dural ringed pump with AFA express connector.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Toe clips and straps.
Cloth handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Approximate Weight: 25 lbs.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25"

Model 100 (and 111 Mixte):
Simplex front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mounted shift controls.
3 pin steel chainwheel 40 x 52.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Rattrap steel pedals with reflectors.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 28.
Sedis chain.
Rigida steel rims, serrated edges.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson high pressure gumwall tires.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Black handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple.
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25" (20" and 22" for mixte)

Model 90 (and 91 Mixte):
Simplex front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mount shift controls.
Normandy large flange hubs with wingnuts.
3 pin steel chainwheel 40 x 52.
LAM brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 28.
Sedis chain.
Butted rustless spokes.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Black handlebar tape.
Colors: Blue and Yellow
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25" (20" and 22" for mixte)

Model 140 (and 141 Mixte -- both of these are children's 18" frame racers):
Simplex Prestige front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mounted shift controls.
3 pin steel chainwheel 36 x 42.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Butted rustless spokes.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Black handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Colors: Red, Lime Green, and Sky Blue
Frame Sizes: 18" for both boys and mixte.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 08-06-19 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Found more information
Old 07-24-19, 02:26 PM
bfuser191509248

Although I've had access to the above 1971 catalog images for some time (months, if not years), I had never really studied them all that carefully. As I was looking at them today, it struck me that aside from the distinction of the Reynolds 531 tubing (and in a best case scenario, the survival of the stickers to indicate that) indicating a bike as a model 300, the catalog images also show other differences in ornamentation between the 200 and the 300. The 200, like my newly acquired green bike, has the horizontal white geometric patterning on the top tube; the white triangular decoration on the upper forks; and painted lugs at the head tube. I suppose it's possible that these images aren't conclusive evidence that every 200 and 300 from that time period were ornamented that way (and guaranteed to be distinguishable that way), but it seems more likely than not.

The decals on each model's seat tube also appear to be slightly different (unfortunately, these scans were only so sharp). As I said above, the evolution of the decals and logos is a whole puzzle unto itself, which should be interesting to examine.

I will also be curious to learn when the "Special Tour De France" lettering on the top tube first appeared, and for how long. I've seen it on bikes with a down tube logo decal like mine, but also on later bikes (1976-ish and later) with the large MERCIER block lettering on both the seat tube and down tube.

Still planning to detail my bike's parts; and illustrate the aforementioned decal/logo evolution in hopes of getting our heads together to come up with a reasonable timeline for dating unmodified bikes by their combinations of original features.
Old 07-24-19, 03:07 PM
bfuser191509248

I agree with pretty much everything you said that bikes are functional and useful works of art but I'll disagree that vintage Merciers are not desirable to serious bike enthusiasts. Plenty of people love old French bikes and there are a lot of great Merciers. Yours is one of them.

This is my 70s Mercier 300 as I bought it; I have not yet restored mine:

I thought of this again today when I happened to return to this blog, with a nice account of a restoration on a lime green 300:
Retro Bike Restorations / Mercier 300 (from 2008)
Old 07-24-19, 06:03 PM
bikemig 

I thought of this again today when I happened to return to this blog, with a nice account of a restoration on a lime green 300:
Retro Bike Restorations / Mercier 300 (from 2008)
Yeah I've seen that blog post before; that's beautiful work.
Old 07-25-19, 06:15 PM
bfuser191509248

I had been thinking about posting some images from bicycledecals.net, showing the various decal/logo styles used on Merciers from the 60's through the 80's, in hope of beginning to sort out the time frames (and model associations) of their use. When I actually visited the website and looked at the list of items they offer, I noticed that the various designs are only very roughly described in terms of what years they were in use. This was a bit discouraging, in that I would have expected their experience in working with Mercier owners might have helped them to narrow things down a bit more by now. On the other hand, as I suggested earlier, maybe there was more overlap going on during the 60's and 70's than I had realized. If different down tube logos were being used on the same models during the same years, this would pretty much ruin my hope of trying to sort everything out. I might also mention that I've saved dozens of bike images off the web, and in relatively few cases did the bike owners seem to be sure about what year their bikes dated to. So, it's been great to find so many images, and yet there's quite a puzzle there in terms of trying to sort out models and dates. Dates are far more difficult than models, though, as the 300's can be easy to spot, and there seem to be relatively few examples of the 100 out there (it's relatively uncommon to see a Mercier without chromed rear stays, for example).

I can easily post some bike images as we go along in discussing all of this, but I thought I'd start with the decal site. Below is a screenshot of the website's decal descriptions. Obviously, these sets are general in nature; don't necessarily correspond directly with every combination of decals found on vintage Merciers (the older ones all include the "Special TDF" decals, which of course were not found on all Mercier models of the period); and are not complete, in that not all of the original decal variations are included in their sets.

I guess my primary point is that there is no way to tell when (and how, depending on models) the "Mercier" down tube logo changes occurred. The uppermost logo, with the dot inside the "C" (and inside the "R's"), seems to have first appeared as early as the 1940's or 50's (?), and continued to be used into the early 70's. But did its use overlap with the use of the second logo? The all-block letter logo seems to have appeared circa 1976, as far as I can tell thus far, and continued until the early 80's script logo

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 07-25-19 at 06:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.