Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Diamondback

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 01:27 PM
birdermom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamondback

Can someone comment on this brand as an entry level mountain bike?
Old 11-23-15, 02:34 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The Diamond Back name was first introduced by Western States Imports (a distributor) in the 80's. They were later sold to Raleigh, who continues to own, spec and sell them today.

They have a good line of mountain bikes from entry level up to medium/decent level but no really high-end mountain bikes (which you aren't interested in anyway . . . so never mind).

Diamondback bikes have been made in Taiwan and China but I think they're all manufactured in China these days.

Is that the kind of information you were seeking?

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-23-15, 02:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
"Entry level" is relative, too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-23-15, 02:51 PM
birdermom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes....that helps. If someone is riding one now or has owned one if you could comment please. Thanks
Old 11-23-15, 03:38 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
The Diamond Back name was first introduced by Western States Imports (a distributor) in the 80's. They were later sold to Raleigh, who continues to own, spec and sell them today.

They have a good line of mountain bikes from entry level up to medium/decent level but no really high-end mountain bikes (which you aren't interested in anyway . . . so never mind).

Diamondback bikes have been made in Taiwan and China but I think they're all manufactured in China these days.

Is that the kind of information you were seeking?

Rick / OCRR
You're halfway there, after being "owned" by several Raleigh management groups, the Raleigh, Diamondback, and Avenir brands were sold to Accell North America in 2012.
Old 11-23-15, 03:49 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think you can do a whole lot worse than buy a Diamondback bike as an entry level ride. Dick's Sporting Goods sells them and probably some other sport retailers too. They are far better than anything you will get at a Walmart, Target or other department type store.
This week, Dick's has bikes for 1/2 off, so now, a Diamondback becomes more affordable and competitive with the better bikes at Walmart and Target.
Old 11-23-15, 04:01 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Bike Retail Store Search Results
Old 11-23-15, 04:04 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think one of these Bike shops is near you. They carry Diamondback and i would trust them more so then a dicks sporting goods store as far as putting a bike together right.
Old 11-23-15, 04:24 PM
birdermom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that they had the 50% on the Lux and Axis...so each is 300 now. I was going to check out a couple on Craigslist and some of the LBS while in Richmond later this week. I talked to someone in the Dick's store closest to me when I first began to look at bikes and he put together all the bikes and has been riding for years. He appeared to be very knowledgeable, even said to ask for him if I returned to the store if I was buying a bike. One good thing is there return policy that I will not get at the LBS that is in my rural area. The LBS would not let me take the mountain bike on the trail this time to test...afraid I would get dirt on the tires...etc...only allowed me on the pavement. I did the first time..maybe I got that one too dirty..lol
Old 11-23-15, 04:40 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
You're halfway there, after being "owned" by several Raleigh management groups, the Raleigh, Diamondback, and Avenir brands were sold to Accell North America in 2012.
You are quite correct cale! I didn't know what direction of "comment" the OP was looking for and I thought I'd maybe gone too far on the "who owns the name" thing already.

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-23-15, 05:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Names are another Commodity sell ing past reputation is no forecast of future Quality.
Old 11-23-15, 05:46 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Names are another Commodity sell ing past reputation is no forecast of future Quality.
The personnel at Diamondback kept their jobs. There's been continuity.
Old 11-23-15, 06:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's no help for an opinion on the brand, but Christmas shopping, I see that Chain Reaction has a sweet deal on a 2015-model hardtail Dback, with a RockShox fork and a Deore-or-better build

Diamondback Axis Hardtail Bike 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-23-15, 07:15 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow nice bike with pedals and her size
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's no help for an opinion on the brand, but Christmas shopping, I see that Chain Reaction has a sweet deal on a 2015-model hardtail Dback, with a RockShox fork and a Deore-or-better build

Diamondback Axis Hardtail Bike 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 11-24-15, 09:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
not production Paperwork and sales.. in the importer
Old 11-24-15, 09:43 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Any specific model your looking at?
The Diamondback frame, while still being perfectly serviceable, won't be as finished as some of the other higher priced LBS only bikes(Trek, C'dale, Specialized, ETC). The welds won't be as clean, or filled\ground smooth. And the wheels probably won't be as nice(although the wheel on my Specialized Roubaix are pretty crummy, flexy).
I work on a lot of bikes of every level, and Diamond back is usually a middle of the road bike. You could do a lot worse.
Old 11-24-15, 11:27 AM
birdermom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Any specific model your looking at?
The Diamondback frame, while still being perfectly serviceable, won't be as finished as some of the other higher priced LBS only bikes(Trek, C'dale, Specialized, ETC). The welds won't be as clean, or filled\ground smooth. And the wheels probably won't be as nice(although the wheel on my Specialized Roubaix are pretty crummy, flexy).
I work on a lot of bikes of every level, and Diamond back is usually a middle of the road bike. You could do a lot worse.
Was looking at the woman's Lux and the Axis
Old 11-24-15, 02:45 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We have purchased two Diamondbacks from Dicks Sporting goods in the past 8 years. Both were impulse purchases. I was there to look at golf stuff and there was a good sale going on. Both bikes were for my wife. We got the second one 4 years later because it had a deeper step thru frame that she could get on and off more easily. I inherited her first one.

At that time, I was still riding some no-name 24" bike I found in the trash after the owner had run over it with his car in his driveway. Crushed the front wheel and bent the bars, which I replaced. So maybe my low brow tastes disqualify me from rating bikes, I think the Diamondback quality will work for many people. The Diamondback was certainly far better fit for me with 26" tires , with front suspension and a sprung seat. I still like it.

I'd still be riding that first Diamondback but I decided to reward myself this summer with a slightly better bike and bought a Transeo model.

You should enjoy a Diamondback for a while. If you get the bike bug, you haven't spent too much and can upgrade later.
Old 11-24-15, 03:35 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Not a mountain bike, but I've been riding a Diamondback Insight as my foul weather commuter for the last six seasons. Have about 6000 miles on it now and haven't had any troubles. Even went 5500 miles before the rear derailleur needed its first adjustment. Been pretty reliable.

As long as you're not looking at competitive downhill racing I think a Diamondback would be plenty solid for you.
Old 11-24-15, 11:42 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I bought a Diamondback mountain bike for my wife a couple years ago and we have been happy with it. Diamondback USA is located here in the Seattle area and I know a couple of people who work there. They are quite passionate about putting out a quality product and supporting their customers. I would have no problem recommending them.
Old 11-25-15, 05:05 PM
tssummers50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three Diamondbacks,I have a Podium 1 roadbike,Insight 3 hybrid, and a Diamondback Hook mountainbike. All three are fantastic bikes,and I haven't had anyproblems with them.I would recommend them. I am pleased with them.
Old 11-25-15, 05:16 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
I bought a Diamondback mountain bike for my wife a couple years ago and we have been happy with it. Diamondback USA is located here in the Seattle area and I know a couple of people who work there. They are quite passionate about putting out a quality product and supporting their customers. I would have no problem recommending them.
I bought a Diamondback Sorrento, from a friend for 100.00 its a mtb, thing sold new maybe 300.00, anyway bike rides great , shifts smooth everytime, has front suspension mushy but ok,, my beater all around bike , I've never had to do anything to it , it's 21 spd, the welds look good,, I'm a welder, I know,,, it's an older modle someone said that quality may not exsist anymore for that bike ,, don't know but I think this bike is really good,,,,,don't know what year it is ,,,,,