Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me change a tire/tube….

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-05, 11:33 AM
BillC
Hooked

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so here it is, I'll say it - I hate changing flat tires. Like doing wash, I purposely suck at it in fact. It does not matter what it is, each one is an adventure that usually leaves whatever rim scratched and scarred. I'm a user. But I am now convinced this is something I need to get good at.

So tell me, what do I need to change a tube on the road... What portable pump can deliver ~125psi? Does Nashbar sell a "kit"? (any good links?)

Where do you guys carry this stuff, I've got two water bottles and pouch under the seat almost full w/essentials, and don’t think I could get used to a shirt stuffed w/goodies.

And last but not least - just what are the "best practices" to changing a road bike tire…on the road?

Thanks for your help, hammer away!
Old 05-23-05, 11:50 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Match your tyre to your rims. Some combos are tighter than others due to manufacturing tolerance of rim and tyre.
Use 3 plastic tyre levers (glass reinforced) that won't scratch the rim.
Fit some decent rim tape (like velox cloth) to the rim. Check the valve hole for sharp edges , (smoothe it with emery cloth).
Check the inside of the tyre for pointy bits. Beware of pointy bits on the inside of the tyre, they can cut you. In some neighbourhoods, pointy bits include discarded hyperdermic needles. Remove pointy bits with a small knife or pliers.

Put the tyre back onto one side of the rim. Insert new tube through open side. (ensure oily cogs are on the other side).
Fix the valve in place (pointing towards hub)with the nut. Put tyre back on using tyre levers with great care to avoid pinch flats. Losen nut and push valve out from under the tyre bead. Inflate.
Mini pumps rarely inflate beyond 100psi and will get you home.
Store the pump in a clip alonside a water bottle.
carry a spare inner tube and a patch kit.
Old 05-23-05, 12:09 PM
Smaug
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of THESE . It has everything you need (besides the spare tube). There's a little CO2 chuck that's MUCH smaller than the big CO2 Guns. The wallet it comes in is nice too, everything in one place and you could easily slide it into your back jersey pocket and you'd hardly even know it was there. And the price is right.

Portable hand pumps aren't likely to get you to 125psi, at least not without separating your shoulder.

A 16g CO2 cartridge will fill a 700x23 tire to about 110. Some people report good result using a small hand pump to get to about 30-40psi, then "topping off" with the CO2 when the hand pump gets too hard to push. Having the hand pump also gives you securty in knowing you won't ever run out of refill air completely, like you can with CO2.

Personally, I just use the kit above and carry 3 cartridges... I figure, if I need to fix more than three flats in one ride, I'm calling for backup, cause I probably pissed off the Cycling Gods somehow and should get off the road as soon as possible.

Last edited by Smaug; 05-23-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 12:51 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
All you need is a CO2 air chuck (one with trigger to control air flow) or a pump, a tube of the correct size for your tires, and a set of tire levers. You should be able to get all of this for $20 at your LBS. You may want to also include a pair of latex gloves and some packaged wet wipes to keep your hands cleaner and to aid in cleanup after the change.

If you are in doubt about your ability to change a tube, next rainy day when you can't ride, go get the bike, let the air out of a tire and practice.

As to routine, I place two levers under the tire a few spoke holes apart and pry the bead over the rim. Hook one lever onto a spoke (make sure your levers are made to do this) and run the other lever around the rim. Remove the tube from the rim and set it aside to put back in your pack or whatever. Do not leave it beside the road, leave nature like you found it. Carefully inspect inside and outside of tire to check for whatever caused flat. You can run the rounded end of a tire lever around the inside of the tire to feel for the sharp object. Before installing new tube, I use my mouth to blow just enought air into it to aid in getting it into the tire. Now use your hands to work the tire back onto the rim. Be careful not to twist the tube or pinch it if you use your levers in this stage. I use just hand pressure. Once the tire and tube are back on rim, make sure the valve is still coming straight out of the rim and has not slipped. If it has moved, rotate the tire and tube on the rim until the valve is straight. Now slowly add air to tube (make sure your CO2 inflator has a trigger or button so you can control air flow) and make sure bead is seated all the way around on both sides of rim. Once tire is a bit firm, you can add air faster until tire is at desired pressure. Reinstall wheel on bike, clean up your old tube, levers, etc. make sure not to leave your trash or tools beside the road.
Old 05-23-05, 02:25 PM
BillC
Hooked

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok got it. Tire levers, Co2 Inflator w/spare cartridges, multitool, a few Continental tubes...and a new Alchera on order. I'll practice on the kid's bike.

Thanks!

Edit: Good newbie article here (with pictures): https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/flatkit.shtml

12gr C02 = 110 psi+ ???

Last edited by BillC; 05-23-05 at 07:28 PM.