Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Yes, another ‘help me choose’ thread ;)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 04:34 AM
clubmanager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Narrowed it down to two bikes available nearby. 2015 Kona Jake the Snake and 2014 Cannondale SuperX; both have 105 more but considering the carbon frame and hydraulic brakes, I’m guessing that evens the playing field a bit.
Years ago, I asked similar questions about mountain bikes and still have the Trek I ended up with. My now 13 year old son has outgrown his bike (and me!) so he’s taking it. Time for dad to get something new.
I need a bike for 20-40 mile rides on pavement but do like to get off that concrete now and then......so have settled in a gravel or cyclocross bike. I will likely never race or anything like that. Are either of these the right choice and if so, does one outshine the other?

Both have less than 50 miles in them and the Cannondale frame is still wrapped in plastic and the seller is including a bunch of stuff like helmets, jerseys, etc that are unworn.....not that that sways the deal for me but thought I should mention it.
Will ride them but looking for a value/ride opinion.
Old 07-22-18, 05:06 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I’ve not ridden either bike, but if you can test ride each of them I would go with what is most comfortable, followed by how good the lbs is selling the bike.

either way I’m sure, and your son, will be happy!
Old 07-29-18, 05:45 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by clubmanager
Narrowed it down to two bikes available nearby. 2015 Kona Jake the Snake and 2014 Cannondale SuperX; both have 105 more but considering the carbon frame and hydraulic brakes, I’m guessing that evens the playing field a bit.
Years ago, I asked similar questions about mountain bikes and still have the Trek I ended up with. My now 13 year old son has outgrown his bike (and me!) so he’s taking it. Time for dad to get something new.
I need a bike for 20-40 mile rides on pavement but do like to get off that concrete now and then......so have settled in a gravel or cyclocross bike. I will likely never race or anything like that. Are either of these the right choice and if so, does one outshine the other?

Both have less than 50 miles in them and the Cannondale frame is still wrapped in plastic and the seller is including a bunch of stuff like helmets, jerseys, etc that are unworn.....not that that sways the deal for me but thought I should mention it.
Will ride them but looking for a value/ride opinion.
I may be a bit biased but if they're even remotely in the same ballpark price wise then SuperX all day long. Even if they aren't then it seems like you keep your bikes for a long time so why not get the better one (SuperX)?
Old 07-30-18, 04:48 AM
clubmanager

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I needed up going in a completely different direction and bought a Twin Six Rando locally available. Got it yesterday and heading out for a ride today; been working 12-20 hour days the last 4 days! Totally love the look and purpose of the bike, a little more ‘tourey’ than the others I’d guess. Anyway, more later......
Old 07-30-18, 06:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Well, I needed up going in a completely different direction and bought a Twin Six Rando locally available. Got it yesterday and heading out for a ride today; been working 12-20 hour days the last 4 days! Totally love the look and purpose of the bike, a little more ‘tourey’ than the others I’d guess. Anyway, more later......
I think that's a sweet looking ride. I live near the Twin Six office/warehouse and I've looked over the Rando when picking up orders - I'd ride it!
Old 07-30-18, 02:11 PM
clubmanager

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quick question, I rode it today and really dislike leaning so far forward. Do I just keep riding in the hopes it’s just my not being used to it or do I make the switch to a flat bar?
Old 08-06-18, 12:22 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Quick question, I rode it today and really dislike leaning so far forward. Do I just keep riding in the hopes it’s just my not being used to it or do I make the switch to a flat bar?
How long did you ride? I find the first 15 - 20 minutes my bike feels a little stretched out, too far forward, but after 20 minutes I'm in the hoods and I love my position. Do you have any more room on your fork to move your stem up?
Old 08-06-18, 01:05 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Imagine years from now trying to look up your thread on a particular topic that was entitled "help." If there was ever one word that should never be in a thread title, that would be it.
Old 08-06-18, 04:47 AM
clubmanager

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or, imagine taking the time to respond to a post with a non-response. Why waste your time unless you simply enjoy being ‘that guy’. Have a nice day.
Old 08-11-18, 12:23 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Or, imagine taking the time to respond to a post with a non-response. Why waste your time unless you simply enjoy being ‘that guy’. Have a nice day.
Might not be within his abilities

Regarding fit/leaning forward. I've found bike position is something that is pretty counter intuitive in a lot of ways. If you plan on riding seriously, and your bike is uncomfortable, I'd recommend getting a professional fitting done. I was always a bit skeptical of the benefits until I got one with the purchase of a bike. I would have paid the purchase price of the bike for just the benefits of the fit if forced to. Makes a big difference if anything is out of wack.
Old 08-11-18, 10:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
shorten the stem perhaps.
get bars with shorter reach perhaps.
get a stem with a higher angle perhaps.

all these effectively reduce the amount you stretch forward.