Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identifying Campagnola Hubs

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-11-18, 09:58 PM
dkmatdrum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello
Can anyone point me in the direction of a way to tell which 70s era high flange hub is which from the logo and the hole pattern?
thank you
Old 08-11-18, 10:27 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmatdrum
Hello
Can anyone point me in the direction of a way to tell which 70s era high flange hub is which from the logo and the hole pattern?
thank you
In my experience, you've got two choices -- Nuovo Tipo and Record. Record hubs had oval holes and lube ports with the little snap covers. Tipo hubs had round holes (except some were custom made OEM for one of the French makers with oval holes -- maybe others) and no lube ports. Well, lube ports on the dust caps. Earlier there were Gran Sport HF hubs which appear to have been three piece shells.
The Record hubs were wonderful, the Nuovo Tip hubs, not so much, though they are pretty cool and do take a nice shine. Apparently Tipo cups were not as high quality and I'm not sure if the front hubs had the same diameter balls as the Record hubs did. I'd have to measure.

velobase.com has images of the different hubs so you can see the engraving/labeling.

Some of the early Record hubs were not labelled as Record and are referred to as "no Record."
Old 08-11-18, 11:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Unless you have a Motobecane, they ordered a batch of "Tipo" hubs with the record piercings in the 70's. No oil port and clip at the center though.
Old 08-12-18, 08:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Nuovo Tipo hubs have the "winged wheel" logo on the hub barrel, while Record hubs have the Campagnolo script overlying a globe:

There are differences in the quick releases as well. The Record lever is retained by a nut, while the Nuovo Tipo lever uses a circlip. The Nuovo Tipo adjusting nut has a nylon insert to prevent loosening, while the Record adjusting nut uses a D-ring and brass inserts.