Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Opioids and personal responsibility

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Opioids and personal responsibility

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 01:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevareeno
There is a difference between being addicted and being physically dependent. Anyone that takes narcotics will most likely become physically dependent but that does not mean they are a junkie.
I fell off of my roof 10 years ago (18 feet) and landed on my feet and shattered both heels and broke both ankles. I have had 6 surgeries and have CRPS or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I have tried everything to relieve pain, creams with Lidocain, CBD oil, 6 weeks of acupuncture 3X a week and lately a big syringe in my back to deaden the sympathetic nerve. The last made the pain worse than the original accident. The only thing left is have a some electronics installed in my back to fool my brain about the pain.
I have been on narcotics for 10 years and have used them responsibly. Random urine and blood drops and never a fail.
The big buzz now is M.E.'s or Morphine Equivalents.How much of a drug = morphine amounts. A 15 mg oxycodone pill = 22,5 ME. A year ago I was on a 75 mcg/hr fentanyl patch and 6 oxy 30 mg for a total ME of 450. The goal or mandate now is to get everyone down to under 90 ME per day REGARDLESS OF PAIN or history of pain meds. The government demanded doctors prescribe this stuff and now they demand us to quite taking it. My ME amount today is 90 and my pain is such that daily living or sleeping is not optimal. So who ever in this post that said opioids do not lessen pain is either mistaken or ignorant of medical facts. In Arizona where I live prescriptions written for opioids is down 40% but the number of monthly deaths is the same. What does that tell you??? At the Mexican border of Nogales, AZ, an hour from my house they are finding semi's full of narcotics. Fentanyl and oxycodone in original manufacturer's packets. Those are the ones they catch out of a thousand trucks a day. The problem now is that some people that become physically dependent and addicted to prescriptions are turning to heroin because it is cheaper. I may be physically dependent but reduced my medication by not having reactions of an addict. So people that have a medical need for opioids are pretty much screwed.
And therein lies the inherent flaw of medicine today: Doctors being superseded by political legislation. In that case, why bother with ten years of education if the final decision of what medical procedure to use is ultimately in the hands of the politicians, with zero knowledge of medicine and it myriad complexities.

It also means that government's use of doctors for determining what is medically appropriate is meaningless, since they retain ultimate control of what medicines and procedures can and cannot be used. Their use of doctors knowledge for enacting legislation heretofore, has been merely superficial posturing, for the benefit of the masses.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-26-18 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-27-18, 01:20 AM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This conversation got interesting fast!