Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1957 JRJ Olympic Cycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 06:52 AM
MRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1957 JRJ Olympic Cycles

According to the serial number provided to Bob Jackson's, I have a circa 1957 JRJ Olympic Cycle. It was pulled from its storage location and I'd like to get it to someone that would like to restore it. I don't want to give it away and I know it's worth what someone will pay but, is there a guess on what ball park it might be in. Rough condition but I think it's all original.
Old 10-03-18, 10:10 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. I have a '64 JRJ, They're very nicely made bikes. Most of them were semi-custom, made to order. I can tell you that mine is in solid condition but it had some paint issues. I believe I paid around $250 for it, which I think was fair. It would help us to evaluate yours if you could post pictures, however you need to make 10 comments before the system will let you. You could post them someplace else, like imgur or flikr, and then post the link to the photos here. The system also won't let you post a link yet, but you can fool it by posting the link and then editing some spaces into it where there were periods. For example: "www.google.com" could be posted as "www google com" and the system won't recognize it as a link.
Old 10-03-18, 02:02 PM
MRD1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos may be found in the Gallery in Albums. Album "1957 JRJ Olympic Cycles".
Old 10-04-18, 10:57 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Great, here is the link:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/11208287

The rust at the seatpost is pretty concerning. Otherwise it looks a little rough but not too bad. Looks like maybe a 22-1/2" or 23" frame?

It's a tough one to value in the present condition. My guess is if you could get around $200 for it that'd be fair, since it needs a lot of love. Where are you located? Prices can vary a lot by location.
Old 10-05-18, 04:33 AM
MRD1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm located a little north of Philadelphia in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.

Last edited by MRD1; 10-05-18 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 11:51 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by MRD1
I'm located a little north of Philadelphia in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.
If you could sell it on the Philly CL you might get a little more for it, but you might also be selling it to some kid who would ruin it. On ebay you could probably get quite a bit more, but you have to deal with the hassle of packing and shipping. If you wanted to sell it on this site, you will probably make the least but at least you would know it was going to an enthusiast who would take care of it. Tough choice.

Frankly if it was my size, I'd be sending you an offer now. Looks too big for me, unfortunately. My JRJ is the best riding bike I have ever owned.
Old 10-05-18, 12:00 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
If you could sell it on the Philly CL you might get a little more for it, but you might also be selling it to some kid who would ruin it. On ebay you could probably get quite a bit more, but you have to deal with the hassle of packing and shipping. If you wanted to sell it on this site, you will probably make the least but at least you would know it was going to an enthusiast who would take care of it. Tough choice.

Frankly if it was my size, I'd be sending you an offer now. Looks too big for me, unfortunately. My JRJ is the best riding bike I have ever owned.
The seatpost does look like toast and it is likely no easy thing to get it out. Looks like there is some rust on the frame as well (headtube, top tube). The bike has some issues.

That said, that is a nice bike. If I lived in the OP's area, I'd make him an offer on the bike as its my size . . .

The point is that I think he can get a reasonable price either on CL or on this site. The advantage of selling it here is that the OP knows someone will treat it right which may or may not matter to the OP.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-05-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 12:37 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by bikemig
The point is that I think he can get a reasonable price either on CL or on this site. The advantage of selling it here is that the OP knows someone will treat it right which may or may not matter to the OP.
Yep. I mentioned that because in their first post, they said they want to get it to someone who would like to restore it.
Old 10-05-18, 01:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Lovely bike. I'd be tempted at $200 if it were my size. I'd also be very reluctant wrt restoration. Fix what's broken, clean what's dirty, lube what's dry. Keep it as original as possible. Just my two euro cents.

Old 10-05-18, 02:08 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Lovely bike. I'd be tempted at $200 if it were my size. I'd also be very reluctant wrt restoration. Fix what's broken, clean what's dirty, lube what's dry. Keep it as original as possible. Just my two euro cents.
To me, that's what restoration means. Especially given that the decals look good, I would not suggest repainting. Just deal with the rust.
Old 10-07-18, 07:42 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I'd likely buy it at $200 but you just know it's going to cost some money and time to fix it up right. That seat post is likely seriously stuck and the frame has rust issues.

It's going to take more than a 6 pack of beer to get this bike up and running, right!