Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Energy for a long ride

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Energy for a long ride

Old 10-07-18, 04:59 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Energy for a long ride

Does anyone else load up on protein (peanut butter w/o sugar, hard boiled eggs and yogurt before a long ride. I also carry peanut butter with me along the ride. If I take carbs...even a little...I seem to have low blood sugar very rapidly.

Mike Adams
Old 10-07-18, 06:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've had low blood sugar problems since childhood and have tried various methods. Looking back, most of it was due to poor diet. With a more contemporary approach suggested by many nutritionists, doctors and trainers, I've been able to ride harder, longer, with a reasonably normal diet by adjusting the timing to suit my workout goals.

And I've cut out most junk carbs the past few months. Almost no cookies, muffins, etc. No beer in almost 3 months -- I didn't drink much, but even a beer a day was contributing a lot of junk carbs that I wasn't burning off effectively with extra cycling or workouts.

Opinions and experiences vary on the timing of protein consumption. Some folks say consuming too much protein before and during a ride or any hard workout can divert our body toward digesting and interfere with the energy needed to ride. That conventional wisdom says the time to consume extra protein is immediately after a workout, or at normal meal times outside of strenuous or long rides.

This year I've tried intermittent fasting on non-workout days (often 12 hours between the final meal of the day and first meal of the next day), and fasting rides and indoor workouts. I was surprised to discover I didn't experience any blood sugar bonks. The trick was to stick to a very moderate effort ride or indoor workout for about an hour or so and encourage the body to metabolize body fat. Seems to work. I've lost some fat around the middle and dropped from 34 to 30 waist jeans for the first time since I was in my 20s.

Some practitioners of fasting rides will compromise on small breakfasts containing little or no sugar and carbs: one or two eggs, bacon, black coffee, etc. I've done that as well and had no problems. Some folks may experience digestive problems with fatty bacon, acidic black coffee, etc., so it's a very personal thing.

During longer or harder rides I've avoided high protein snacks and supplements, such as the protein bars I used to carry. I just use gels and drink plenty of water (usually with electrolytes). Most of the gels and nutrition bars I eat use less simple sugar and more sugar alcohols (typically mannitol, xylitol, erythritol, sorbitol, or maltitol). Some folks report digestion problems, headaches and other issues with sugar alcohols but I've been okay with 'em. Takes a little experimenting to see what works.

If I do eat a protein supplement bar it's after at least an hour of riding, during a rest break. Same with protein supplement shakes and smoothies -- usually after a workout. I prefer whey protein. The legume based stuff gives me turbocharged gas, which would be unpleasant for folks behind me in group rides.

Over the summer I had a fairly serious relapse of an longstanding thyroid problem that interfered with swallowing solid foods. I switched to smoothies and protein supplement shakes, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. Those were nutritious enough but contained a lot of sugars. Often fruit was the only source of sugar and carbs, but it was enough to interfere with my other goal of metabolizing body fat. So my efforts to lose belly fat stalled. No big deal, my priority was fixing the thyroid problem since I had too little energy to work out like I was accustomed to. But it reinforced the fairly well established principle in nutrition that the main enemy is sugar, not dietary "fat". Sugar doesn't seem to cause much, or any, harm when consumed appropriately as fuel for physical activity.

But it's a delicate balancing act. I was drinking a pitcher of fruit smoothies with protein and nutrient supplements a day and not working out hard enough, or at all some days, so I actually regained 2-3 lbs of belly fat. I was surprised how quickly the belly fat can be lost and re-accumulate. It's been an interesting experiment in testing contemporary nutrition theories for athletes and normally active folks.
Old 10-08-18, 03:56 AM
mdadams1

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting. Thank you for sharing. A lot to "digest" Well thought out.
Old 10-08-18, 04:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If I've eaten normally(for me) I don't do anything particularly special before a ride.
Seems like I need to top up every 60-90 minutes(at the latest) regardless of prep.
If I know it's going to be several hours I try to eat maybe 20% or so more, that's about it.
I can deal with (very) sugary energy bars, but prefer the ones with a slower release. Usually bring some gels or high-concentration energy drink in case of bonking or for the very end of the ride.
To me, starting from "normal", the mid-ride snacks and post-ride replenishment seems to be more important than prep.
Those runny yoghurts meant for drinking seems to work well for recovery. Some sugar to perk up, some protein, and a fluid to boot, good stuff.
Old 10-09-18, 07:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Canklecat, thanks for the details in your experience. It is enticing enough for me to follow suite and try it. This summer beer began to offend my taste buds and I no longer drink it, not that I drank it much anyway. Only a couple of times a summer, but no more. Wine sucks, so that sugar is not going to present itself. I have reduced my cola intake to once a week now, and will eventually get rid of it. Looking to see if I can lose the "dad gut" as my daughter calls it.
Old 10-09-18, 07:42 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
Does anyone else load up on protein (peanut butter w/o sugar, hard boiled eggs and yogurt before a long ride. I also carry peanut butter with me along the ride. If I take carbs...even a little...I seem to have low blood sugar very rapidly.

Mike Adams
Define "a long ride."
Old 10-09-18, 07:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^ Indeed. Everybody has a different definition of "long ride."

Further, how do you know you have low blood sugar? Is it a feeling, or is some sort of metering device employed?
Old 10-09-18, 07:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I never "load up" before a ride. Or during a ride for that matter. What works is a slow steady intake of carbs. It works for everyone. By slow and steady, I mean a maximum of 1/4 of a Clif bar every 15 minutes. 1/8 of a bar is probably enough for many folks. That's "for example." 1/4 of a Clif bar is about 50 calories., so 25-50 calories of any kind of carbs, 4 X hour - something like that. What kind of carb makes no difference really. I prefer fast carbs, the faster the better, high GI in other words, though low GI works too, just not as well. Never eat just once an hour, or worse, even less often. Sports drinks work, too. Look at the label to see how much to drink.

For rides of under, say, 90 minutes, don't eat anything before or during. It's not necessary. It might take you some time to get used to that, but it's worth it.
Old 10-09-18, 07:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

That advice is really only applicable to someone who is conditioned. The guy who has been riding a few times a week for a few months probably cannot just go out and ride 90 minutes without some method of monitoring his intensity. I know I couldn't. I didn't know any better, so I'd go all out and end up recovering off the bike for 2-3 days afterward. Once conditioned, everything changes. This morning I did 67 miles @ 20mph, and had street tacos for lunch at the 40 mile mark. Doesn't matter anymore. I could do it without eating. 100km at medium-high intensity on just water isn't that big a deal... for me. But I would never advise anyone else to copy what I do.
Old 10-09-18, 08:28 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I agree conditioning makes a big difference. I remember bonking on a 32 mile ride 5 years ago when I was just getting into this again. Now I can go do a similar ride without really worrying about what I’ve eaten or not eaten. My standard formula is oatmeal and a banana before a ride, one Clif bar after 30-40 miles, this is plenty for 60-some miles.
Old 10-09-18, 08:43 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I did a solo 100+ mile last weekend with a mix of 50 miles "gravel" (or mud) and 50 miles asphalt. A bowl of fruit loops and coffee for breakfast, a foot long subway sub at the 25 mile point, several rice crispie treats in between and at the 75 mile point had two $1 menu McChicken sandwiches and a sweet tea. I probably could have just finished on treats but I needed a body break after exiting the trail portion and I saw a McDonald's so.. For me, it seems any food is fine but I do have to at least eat a decent amount, include some sugar and spread it around when it gets long. That was just over 7 hours riding with another hour not moving. My avg HR for the trip was 138 (78% theoretical max) so I wasn't fully pushing but not wandering along either.
My problem with long rides is hydration. It was 72 and cloudy for that ride and some humidity so that wasn't an issue that day. I tried this route last month when it was 95+ and tropical humid. Got to 80 miles and painfully limped slowly on a short cut another 8 with cramps. I've done quite a few 70-80 days this year with no problem but that one was brutal. My routine 40-50 mile rides, I do nothing but grab my bike, two bottles of fluid and go. I always have a snack in my frame bag no matter what but that is mainly an excuse to take a 5-10 minute break. I don't know the point of my story, I guess build up the ride length and eat/drink what works for you. Realize not every day is the same and not everyone has the same requirements and not everyone rides at the same intensity. There is no one right way.

Last edited by u235; 10-09-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 12:07 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts
Hmm, for me it is more the electrolytes that keep me going. A Nuun tablet in a water bottle is a big help after 20 miles or so. But as many of you mentioned, I have to be sure not to eat too much, or the wrong stuff, during a ride. A few weeks back a friend and I stopped for a late lunch near the end of a ride, and we were SO dead for the last 400 feet or so of climbing afterwards.
Old 10-10-18, 05:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
127 easy miles, https://www.relive.cc/view/1887947568 , last Saturday on a couple of bananas, M&Ms, CrankSport gels and ClifShot 100mg caffeine ChocolateCherry gels, water with sliced lemon in one bottle and O'Doul's NA beer in 2nd water bottle, folded 8" tortillas with peanut butter/strawberry preserves, couple of NutterButter, Medjool dates/peanut butter.

127 easy miles, https://www.relive.cc/view/1854645618 , a couple weeks earlier same stuff

207 miler in August and 169 miler for 68th birthday ride in July I added oatmeal breakfast before heading out and back at home after first 80 mile segment egg/cheese on muffin also some Mtn. Dew and on the 207 I stopped at Wendy's at 170 for baked potato and Frosty plus Coke.
Old 10-10-18, 10:06 AM
mdadams1

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Really interesting what everyone eats on long rides. I went 120 miles and concentrated on hard boiled eggs, peatnut butter with out the sugar. Water with pickle juice in it. Almost no carbs. Averaged 12 mph. Almost no carbs. Felt good. If I stick to mostly carbs my ride is not good. Very little energy and I struggle.
Old 10-10-18, 01:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

My god, I love whenever @OldTryGuy posts a ReLive. Those route traces are BONKERS. And 127 miles with 115ft? Amazing. I make a determined effort to keep my rides above 100 miles flatter, meaning only 2,500-3,500ft of elevation. Sometimes it works.

I did 3,000 feet in 30 miles this morning. I feel like Florida is some sort of mythical land.
Old 10-10-18, 02:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I like to get a good solid breakfast the day of the ride, covering carbs, protein, and etc.

I do like to stop every 30 to 50 miles or so to get a few extra calories, often carbs which tend to be rejuvenating.

On my last ride, about 40 miles into the ride, I stopped at a state park where they happened to be doing fresh pressed Apple Cider for $5 per half gallon (run by the park rangers). I was going to just get one water bottle filled, but decided to just get them both filled, fresh out of the press.. Then slowly diluted one of them as I drank and refilled the bottle.

I tend to like to carry some salami, cheese, and cookies.
Old 10-10-18, 04:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My god, I love whenever @OldTryGuy posts a ReLive. Those route traces are BONKERS. And 127 miles with 115ft? Amazing. I make a determined effort to keep my rides above 100 miles flatter, meaning only 2,500-3,500ft of elevation. Sometimes it works.

I did 3,000 feet in 30 miles this morning. I feel like Florida is some sort of mythical land.
3,000' in 30 miles = unobtainium around here unless one is in a plane, helicopter or one of these

A nice 11 hour drive to Dahlonega Ga. for Six Gap and 11,000' in 103 miles. Bit of a change from SW FL.
Old 10-10-18, 05:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My long rides are a number of shorter rides placed end to end over several weeks time.

a Bike Tour, as it's called..
Old 10-11-18, 01:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, conditioning and health matter. Usually I don't need to eat much before a ride but lately with this stupid thyroid problem my metabolism is like a box of chocolates -- I never know what I'm gonna get.

Wednesday I had an appointment to get reevaluated for thyroid surgery. Second doc wants another biopsy, etc. Nothing stressful Wednesday, just a consult. Felt great Wednesday morning and afternoon. Had a light breakfast, good lunch -- bbq, cole slaw, potato salad, no desert or sugary soft drink. I planned to get home in time for an evening group ride. Suddenly felt dizzy on the way home, realized I needed a nap more than a bike ride. Could barely get up off the sofa until after 10 pm.

Had some coffee, oatmeal, smoothie with protein and suddenly felt good again. Apparently I had a blood sugar crash earlier. Hadn't experienced that in many years. Didn't occur to me since I'd been eating healthy all summer. But this stupid thyroid thing is making every day a challenge.

Now it's almost 3 a.m. and I'm thinking of doing an @OldTryGuy ride -- starting in the wee hours and riding 'til dawn. Then I need to be home for other stuff. But the night is clear, cool in the 50s, perfect riding weather.
Old 10-11-18, 03:13 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by canklecat
.............Now it's almost 3 a.m. and I'm thinking of doing an @OldTryGuy ride -- starting in the wee hours and riding 'til dawn. Then I need to be home for other stuff. But the night is clear, cool in the 50s, perfect riding weather.
Hope you had a great ride!!!

Just don't wait until 3AM the next time because a Midnight Madness Ride is way better.