Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix vs Trek Domane

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-29-18, 05:53 PM
bs63366

Bikes: 13 Trek Gary Fisher Marlin 29'er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to be getting a road bike in the next 2 weeks and I am between these 2 as there are shops that cover both of them on Oahu and the roads out here leave much to be desired. I am pretty much set on either the Roubaix Sport or the Trek Domane 5 Disc. The one hesitation that I am having is that I am near the max weights or over of these 2. I am currently weighing in at about 260lbs. Will this be an issue with either of these bikes? Also, has anyone else been in this position and has any feedback on these bikes on what swayed you from one side to the other? Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-29-18, 06:51 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
both will ride near same, wheelset may or may not hold up pending on road and riding style. The Domane is bit more slack head angle so might ride better(easier) when road gets rough. And Domane comes with 32c tires from the GO. Domane looks like it comes with 105 hydro brakes and the Spesh comes with mechanical TRP Spyres (great proven calipers)
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-gear-ran.html

https://www.trpcycling.com/product/spyre/

Ride both, they both sound sweet.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-29-18, 07:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Trek:

This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 275 pounds

With water bottles, shoes, tool-kit, etc, add 25 lbs to your weight.

You'll probably be ok, but it might invalidate a warranty claim. Just use it as incentive to drop a few lbs.

I have what is essentially the steel equivalent of the Domane frame. (It is custom -- it just came out that way.)
Old 11-30-18, 05:12 PM
bs63366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the 105 hydraulics on either one, they have the option for it on the Roubaix. I am planning on riding them when I get back to the island next week, just trying to do some research before I get out there.

For the weight I couldn't find an advertised weight limit on the Roubaix, but for the 275lbs on the Domane I will be over a little bit to start, but I should be getting under the max weight soon after I get it and start putting in miles with it.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Old 12-02-18, 01:28 PM
blackhawkpro

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Townie Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane

I purchased a Domane SL6 Disc two months ago, I put 500 miles on the bike so far. Fantastic bike ! Only issue I had was my Trek Dealer would not fit me for seat height and reach without paying an additional $175 ! I complained all the way to Waterloo Wisconsin. Poor, poor customer service. So I paid my old bike fitter a $100 and I’m in good shape. I will continue to bad mouth Treks customer service but I love the product for sure. I’m 232 lbs and have no issues on this bike. I changed the seat and that’s it.
Old 12-02-18, 04:51 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawkpro
I purchased a Domane SL6 Disc two months ago, I put 500 miles on the bike so far. Fantastic bike ! Only issue I had was my Trek Dealer would not fit me for seat height and reach without paying an additional $175 ! I complained all the way to Waterloo Wisconsin. Poor, poor customer service. So I paid my old bike fitter a $100 and I’m in good shape. I will continue to bad mouth Treks customer service but I love the product for sure. I’m 232 lbs and have no issues on this bike. I changed the seat and that’s it.
Sorry to hear that. Glad you like the bike. I had the opposite experience with Trek customer service. I suspect Trek had no control over forcing one of their vendors to supply you with a free fit. Bad mouth the LBS. Anyway, last year I ordered a Trek Domane for a winter build. It came in a different color that the website showed. The LBS gave me the option of a complete refund or $500.00 off. Well at my age I like things the way I want so I was going to return it. Next thing I know John Cannon from Trek called me and said it was their fault as the website pictures were incorrect. He immediatly offered to put me in Project One and worked with me, sending suggested color/design schemes at no charge, down the the script on custom sayings and frame finisher's signature. He also put a rush on the order and I had a frame in a few weeks and could not be happier with the bike and Trek and the LBS. Picture attached
Old 12-02-18, 05:36 PM
Vq30de

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 roubaix comp here. 300+lbs. about 500 miles ridden and not one single issue. I love it...
Old 12-02-18, 06:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OEM Mfg Contract filled by Merida or Giant.. you test rode both yet?

Local only sells Trek, but walk in customers don't buy higher end road bikes , so you need to say you want one..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-10-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 10:41 PM
bs63366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
OEM Mfg Contract filled by Merida or Giant.. you test rode both yet?
I haven't gotten to yet, just got back on the island, but will be getting over to test ride both in the next week depending on what the LBS's have in stock.
Old 12-03-18, 02:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by bs63366
I am looking to be getting a road bike in the next 2 weeks and I am between these 2 as there are shops that cover both of them on Oahu and the roads out here leave much to be desired. I am pretty much set on either the Roubaix Sport or the Trek Domane 5 Disc. The one hesitation that I am having is that I am near the max weights or over of these 2. I am currently weighing in at about 260lbs. Will this be an issue with either of these bikes? Also, has anyone else been in this position and has any feedback on these bikes on what swayed you from one side to the other? Thanks for all the help.

You will get a great bike with either of them, but for the hell of it, see if you can also try out a 2019 Giant Defy.

They have apparently made some significant changes on the 2019 Defy and it is getting rave reviews in some quarters.
Old 12-03-18, 06:46 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I weigh 230 and bought a Trek Domane SL6 disc in early 2017 and now have over 4500 miles on it.

I have not had a flat or broken a spoke, or had to have the wheels trued. Disc brakes are a huge improvement for me.

Overall, there has only been one component issue that might be weight related but might not be: There is a plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket. That has broken 3 times in 18 months. Can't always tell when it goes, though it makes a loud noise when it snaps - doesn't impact anything immediately, but the first sign was difficulty going to the large chain ring in the front.

I think the first time happened when I hit a bump on a fast downhill (I thought a rock had kicked up against the BB) and the second time I know happened when I stopped in too high a gear and stood on the pedal to get started - heard the noise, looked under and the cable guide was broken. My theory is my weight plus load was pretty close to the limit, BB flexing would snap the cheap plastic.

The bike shop replaced all these for free, by the third one they said Trek had a new cable guide out for the Domane carbon bikes. That one hasn't broken, so maybe by the time you buy it isn't an issue but since you are 30 lbs more, it is worth looking at. The bike shop did NOT think it was weight related, they thought the original component was just wimpy, but they have sold other Domanes to skinnier people and haven't seen it break.

Outside of that, the SL6 has been just a joy to ride and just as reliable as the steel Trek 520 I've ridden the previous 15 years.

The Roubaix was my second choice, I test rode both of them. Very similar, just something about the way the Domane felt riding (and probably some Trek bias, since I'd been riding a 520 for 15 years) made me choose the Domane.
Old 12-04-18, 12:14 AM
bs63366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I made it around to the LBS's today and unfortunately there are no carbon Trek Domane's for sale on the island so I wasn't able to try one out today and they are not planning on getting any in to keep on their shelves. I was able to ride a Specialized Roubaix and a Tarmac both experts, but it gave me a feel for how I would like them both just with a different groupset. I have to say that I didn't really notice the future shot while I was riding it, but I definitely noticed the difference that it provided when I took the Tarmac for a ride. I think that I am kinda leaning to the Roubaix right now just due to the fact that I was able to ride it and see how I liked it in even if the groupset was a higher level one, the frame is still the same. I got a lot to think about though and will post here when I make one.

One last question, is it a big difference or a small difference in ride between a aluminum and carbon Domane? The Trek shop had some aluminums, but I didn't think that would be a very close comparison to a carbon, was I right in that assumption or is that off?

Thanks for all the help in making this decision.
Old 12-04-18, 01:17 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
If you have the funds for carbon frame , get a carbon bike. It's a pretty good difference between those two materials. Larger tires and carbon add on parts can only do so much to alum frame bikes. The buyer remorse will end up costing you more in the end. aka you selling the alum bike at 30-50% loss to get a carbon version.

If you want the carbon domane because of looks/color, order it. It's a production bike, just has shipping time to get to the island.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 12-04-18, 09:30 AM
bs63366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not considering an aluminum bike, but rather to test ride the aluminum, but I don't think that it will be anything near the feel of what the carbon will feel like.
Old 12-07-18, 11:41 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Those are both terrific bikes but the thing that will make the single biggest difference is the tire size you're able to wedge in there. I have 28s on my older Roubaix and it's very nice over rough chipseal or what have you. Pot holes will be trouble no matter what you run.
I don't know the scope of the issue but I have seen some folks on the road forum complaining about durability of that new future shock they have on the Roubaix.
Old 12-07-18, 12:56 PM
rojeho

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport and Ruby Sport

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Roubaix Sport, here. 400 terrific miles so far. 285 pounds. My LBS refused to start with stronger wheels. They opined that with disc brakes and the wheel design that doesn't require the brake area around the outer band, that the wheels may stay true better than a rim brake wheel. So far, so good. My last bike with rim brakes I know I already had the wheels retrued by this point.
Old 12-08-18, 09:34 AM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I agree that the stated weight limits are subject to legal conservatism, I do think you have to consider them in context. The Domane weight limit is stated as 275 lbs, and that limit carries through to nearly all the Domane models. On the other hand, only the base model Roubaix has the same 275 lb weight limit. All Roubaix models above the base (Sport, Elite, Comp, Expert, Pro, and S-Works) carry a stated weight limit of 240 lbs. Here's Specialized's documentation: 2018 Specialized weight limits

I was in a similar situation as you (about 250 lbs, looking at Roubaix, Domane, and a few others) and spent a considerable amount of time doing research and talking to LBS folks who knew their craft. I liked the Future Shock technology in the Roubaix but felt that the base model was a poor spend due to Tiagra components. I wanted 105 or Ultegra-level components for both quality and load-bearing capabilities, so that took me to the Roubaix Expert vs the Domane SL6. As others have said, you're getting a great bike at that level regardless of choice. I rode both and was surprised at the difference. The Roubaix had 28 mm tires and Future Shock front and back, and felt quick and stiff. Certainly it was more compliant and comfortable than the aluminum road bike I was upgrading from. By comparison, the Domane had 32 mm tires and IsoSpeed decouplers front and back, and felt just as quick as the Roubaix Expert but significantly more comfortable. When I combined that difference with the concerns about the Roubaix's 240 lb weight limit, it was an easy decision.

8 months later, I've put about 2,000 miles on the Domane SL6 so far and it's been a dream. It's plenty fast, very responsive to inputs, and just so darn smooth. Any time you get on less-than-perfect tarmac you have an advantage over other riders. Have not had a single mechanical issue with wheels, spokes, tires, or anything else. Ultegra components are significantly better than the 105 components on previous bike and I'm glad I went to that level. Honestly, the best way I can characterize riding the Domane is that it makes me feel like a much better rider than I actually am.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-01-19, 01:18 PM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17 Spec Roubaix Comp

I purchased a 2017 Spec Roubaix Comp June of 2017. I weigh 245 (over the limit). The only issue was spokes loosened after I bought the bike. LBS fixed for free. I have 3500 miles on it and love the bike. I am sure either will be a good choice.
Old 01-07-19, 07:12 PM
Hzg2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geometry

I am also looking to choose between the Domane and the Roubaix. Which one of the two bikes have a more relaxed geometry (more upright)?

Originally Posted by bs63366
Old 01-10-19, 03:50 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
By the way - there's a recall for the fork collar on recent specialized bikes with that future shock

https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/09/spe...My9Qby6K-2TaPE