Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will you ever go disc?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will you ever go disc?

Old 04-23-19, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I did, but its my Bike Friday , not my road bike (its C&V) ..
Old 04-23-19, 03:03 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
One needs to race to have the best braking available?

I don't have an unlimited budget either. Hydraulic discs don't cost a fortune. I wouldn't run out and buy a new bike, just to get disc brakes, but I won't buy another road bike without them(unless it's a TT bike).

I'd rather go back to mechanical shifting, than to rim brakes.
I've never needed any more braking than afforded by rim brakes. I'm guessing that maximum braking is needed more in racing. I'm not against disc brakes, I personally don't have the need.

Last edited by MSchott; 04-23-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 03:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
I've never needed any more braking than afforded by rim brakes. I'm guessing that maximum braking is needed more in racing. I'm not against disc brakes, I personally don't have the need.
Not necessarily. For crits, I'll actually loosen the front caliper so that I'll have *less* braking.
Old 04-23-19, 03:35 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
From my experience hydros are great when everything is working and not so great when stuff isn't
I've had shimanos and formulas. And they all developed some weird problem within a year. The formulas needed bleeding every year and the shimanos had multiple problems. I basically got tired of it and went cable instead. Its very easy to fix and troubleshoot cable discs. I run bb7 on all bikes.
That's interesting. One of my road bikes has BB7's, and I'm not a fan. Constantly squealing and in need of adjustment, and I honestly don't notice that they work any better than other brakes. All of my other road bikes have rim brakes, which are totally fine for the Midwest, so it will probably be a while before I have disks on another road bike. I had always heard that hydros solved the issues that I have with BB7's, so I figured if I ever did get road disks they would be hydros. I have never heard of someone switching from hydros to mechanicals before.
Old 04-23-19, 04:05 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
No
Old 04-23-19, 05:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I don't wish to belittle anyone's position on this topic, but I'm old enough to recall similar debates on manual vs automatic transmissions on cars.
Old 04-23-19, 05:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I don't wish to belittle anyone's position on this topic, but I'm old enough to recall similar debates on manual vs automatic transmissions on cars.
I still have a manual in my car. So, I guess I"m consistent.
Old 04-23-19, 05:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by caloso
I still have a manual in my car. So, I guess I"m consistent.
"Manual transmissions account for just 2 percent of all vehicles sold in 2018, according to data from Edmunds.com."

Hang in there.
Old 04-23-19, 05:59 PM
caloso

"Manual transmissions account for just 2 percent of all vehicles sold in 2018, according to data from Edmunds.com."

Hang in there.
Yeah, I know. I'm planning to pass on this current car to my kids in a year when they turn 16. I expect that they could park it in the HS parking lot with the keys in the ignition and no one would steal it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-23-19, 06:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
If I were still racing, there would be disc brakes on my bikes as that is what the sponsor provides. Outside of racing? No. Does not solve a problem for me as I don't have stopping issues with rim brakes. My last mountain bike had disc brakes and they were very effective, however they didn't make me any faster than the rim brake model it replaced, and I didn't hit fewer trees with them either. Simply put, disc brakes do not fix something that ain't broke.
Old 04-23-19, 06:43 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Why couldn't manufacturers come up with a rim brake that allowed for wider tire? I'm sure such a thing is possible.
They exist, they're just not standard for the built kits that component manufacturers send to bike manufacturers.

The best rim brakes in my stable are probably the Deore T610 V-brakes on my gravel bike. I've got them set up above 52mm tires and full-length fenders with healthy clearance to spare. They're as light as 105 caliper brakes, despite being cheaper. They're extremely powerful in all conditions. And when it's not mucky out, they modulate around as well as the hydro discs on my MTB (right now they're actually significantly better, but that's unfair because my hydros are in need of a bleed, whereas I just serviced the V-brakes).

Actually, before the narrow tire fad strangled the market in the 1980s, it was typical for road calipers to be able to handle 35mm tires or bigger. Dual-pivot centerpulls and especially cantilevers could go considerably wider. As far as road bikes are concerned, "rim brakes can't handle wide tires" is more a fashion issue than an engineering problem. The main technical advantages of disc brakes on road bikes are wet-weather modulation and avoidance of rim wear.
Old 04-23-19, 06:52 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

Hang in there.
That number of 2% would be very different if you counted the rest of the world outside the USA!
Old 04-23-19, 06:56 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, I know. I'm planning to pass on this current car to my kids in a year when they turn 16. I expect that they could park it in the HS parking lot with the keys in the ignition and no one would steal it.
My car has a manual transmission too. I have 4 teenagers and none of them have ever been able to learn how to drive it. I took one of my daughters out for a drive, and she gave up after half-an-hour or so.
Old 04-23-19, 07:05 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Dean V
That number of 2% would be very different if you counted the rest of the world outside the USA!
Google's you friend.. most of the time. Here ya go..

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-worldwide/
Old 04-23-19, 07:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Oh it goes back a whole lot further than that or your father or your great-grandfather.

Ex. Horses vs the horseless carriage? Why change something that has served us well for a thousand years? We really should know better by now.
Old 04-23-19, 10:42 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Evidently you have never experienced them in action.

(Serious. I do have broken teeth from a bike accident.)
Thru-axles? Yes, I had a demo at a local shop. Confirmed: they are a PITA. I'm at a minimum removing and stashing my front wheel once per day. Could not be bothered with anything that involves spinning.

In 5 decades of using (proper) QR skewers, I've never had any incident or even a close call.

Another advantage of using QR skewers without lawyer tabs is added security. So you park your bike unlocked while while you dash into a washroom or to grab a coffee. Opening up both skewers will make a successful snatch and ride theft harder.
Old 04-23-19, 10:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I love new tech
Old 04-24-19, 12:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't know maybe if I found the right Schwinn...
Old 04-24-19, 01:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
My car has a manual transmission too. I have 4 teenagers and none of them have ever been able to learn how to drive it. I took one of my daughters out for a drive, and she gave up after half-an-hour or so.
We've officially accounted for every stick shift in America in this thread now.
Old 04-24-19, 05:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Before going disc, I'd probably want to first ensure my LBS has a bleed kit in their workshop. I've heard it's a thing -- shops selling disc bikes but can't work on them.
Old 04-24-19, 05:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Discs? I don't need no stinking discs.
Old 04-24-19, 06:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
In 5 decades of using (proper) QR skewers, I've never had any incident or even a close call.
Irrelevant - none of those 5 decades has been with the POWAH of disc brakes.
Old 04-24-19, 07:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Before going disc, I'd probably want to first ensure my LBS has a bleed kit in their workshop. I've heard it's a thing -- shops selling disc bikes but can't work on them.
Never seen this before.

A bleed kit isn't expensive, and there's nothing difficult about bleeding brakes.
Old 04-24-19, 07:57 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Thru-axles? Yes, I had a demo at a local shop. Confirmed: they are a PITA. (Because it is different than I'm used to.) I'm at a minimum removing and stashing my front wheel once per day. (And I hate it when my disc goes back in the same place relative to the calpier every time consistantly)Could not be bothered with anything that involves spinning.

In 5 decades of using (proper) QR skewers, I've never had any incident or even a close call. (Because everyone knows my quick releases are infallible and always work 100% of the time, with out fail and operator error is not possible.)

Another disadvantage of using QR skewers without lawyer tabs is added insecurity. So you park your bike unlocked while while you dash into a washroom or to grab a coffee. Opening up both skewers will make a successful snatch and ride theft harder...But that'll never happen to me. I am immune to infallibility.

FIFY

Safety third.

FWIW, what did me in on my disc bike was the senior mechanic at a well known bike shop. I'll not mention them here, but their website rhymes with schmikesaledotcom. About 5 miles into riding home from that shop, I asked myself "What is that rattle-rattle?" And looked down to see it was the front wheel. I then used the rear brake to stop & fasten the QR appropriatly. The lawyer tabs did exactly what the were supposed to.

My 17 year-old kid has all the mechanical ability of a tree-stump. On his rim brake bike I noticed the wires for his dynamo were wrapped around the axle. The lawyer tabs worked & held everything in place. He had no idea how long it'd been that way.

And finally 35 years ago, my front teeth became brakes when I had the joy of having the front of the bike decide it didn't want to play bicycle any more.

But yeah, you do you, man. Safety is for losers.
Old 04-24-19, 08:15 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
My most recent bike purchase was a disc brake bike. I doubt I'll ever buy a bike with rim bakes again. The brakes are just better. Plus, I like thru-axles better than QR. Everything is aligned perfectly every time and I'm not racing, so I don't care about a few extra seconds it takes to put them on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.