Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Del Sol LXI Flow 2?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Del Sol LXI Flow 2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 07:22 AM
gob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Del Sol LXI Flow 2?

I'm looking into a new bike for my mom who just turned 70. We looked at the Del Sol LXI Flow 2 today and it was pretty nice. The thing is that I've never heard of Del Sol. Amazon doesn't carry any of their bikes and Google returns relatively limited search results. I can find no reviews anywhere. Does anyone have experience with Del Sol? Are they a solid name in the cycling industry?

Here's the bike:

https://ridedelsol.com/products/lxi-...12746410885200

Also, as a side topic, what's everyone's experience with regard to shopping for bikes in an actual dedicated bike shop as opposed to your average retail outlet like Amazon, Kohl's, Target, WalMart, etc? It seems that bike shops carry a lot of unusual and unheard-of brand names that typically can't be found in retail outlets. Schwinn is about the only exception to this that I have found.

Last edited by gob; 06-14-19 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add link
Old 06-16-19, 06:35 PM
gob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump from page 2. Anyone have any info on Del Sol? This is my last bump. Will just see if it gets any responses and will assume no.
Old 06-16-19, 06:48 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I have never heard of Del Sol . I can offer no opinion on it.

The quality of bikes you will find at a bike shop will generally be much better than what you will find at Walmart and similar big box stores (such bikes are often referred to on these forums as BSOs...Bicycle Shaped Objects). It all depends upon what your budget is and how often the bike is going to be ridden. Any bikes that you are thinking about buying should also be given test rides prior to purchase to see if they fit and should be carefully examined to see if they were assembled correctly. Places like Walmart are notorious for less than stellar bike assembly.
Old 06-16-19, 07:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have never heard of the brand, either. Did you look at the bike in person or online?
A bike shop can fix problems that might be difficult to deal with for online purchases. I've never heard of Walmart or Target, etc., fixing bikes; they typically exchange defective products for new ones.
Old 06-16-19, 09:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Del Sol are pretty much SoCal local-- most people outside of the San Diego area won't have heard of them-- take a look at their dealer list, the furthest one is about 100 miles from their headquarters in Vista. They also only sell through brick and mortar shops, so far as I know.

My LBS used to carry them years ago, I still have a Del Sol banner hanging up in my workshop. They build a nice cruiser.
Old 06-18-19, 12:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,988 Times in 2,663 Posts
It looks like another cheap bike, a bit of a clone of the old Giant Cypress, which wasn't a great bike. Certainly will be nice and heavy and shift fairly poorly but for riding once in a blue moon it is fine. If you cannot easily find info on the bike it is a good idea to avoid it.

Most bike shops of repute will sell quality brands. Schwinn hasn't been a brand of quality for a very long long long time and most other brands sold at department stores will be of similar low low quality at super high prices (in relation to their quality not in relation to actual normal pricing).

A bike shop will be able to service the bike and might offer tune ups or other services with the bike and you have an opportunity to actually ride the bike. They will also have useful knowledge to pass on and can help find a bike that will work well for your situation. Wally Mart and other box stores will be able to tell you "uhhh it's a bike I think" and when you go to purchase the bike you will walk out with it immediately in the same poor condition it was put on the floor in with nary a mechanic ever touching it. A bike shop will generally exit tune the bike where they make sure everything is good to go before it leaves and install any accessories to it.

If you are looking for a more upright bike that is reasonably lightweight and comfortable and might possibly work for your situation I would find your local Specialized dealer and try out the Roll Elite or if maybe they are having issues with hills or want to go a bit further try the electric version the Como. Take it for a test ride or in your case have your mother take it for a test ride and see if she can handle it. It has nice wide 650b tires and a very comfortable upright position but isn't a heavy tank with a quill stem and suspension forks. Specialized is quite a well known brand and they have been around since the 70s.
Old 04-16-20, 06:51 PM
SlothRide

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It looks like another cheap bike, a bit of a clone of the old Giant Cypress, which wasn't a great bike. Certainly will be nice and heavy and shift fairly poorly but for riding once in a blue moon it is fine. If you cannot easily find info on the bike it is a good idea to avoid it.

Most bike shops of repute will sell quality brands. Schwinn hasn't been a brand of quality for a very long long long time and most other brands sold at department stores will be of similar low low quality at super high prices (in relation to their quality not in relation to actual normal pricing).
It's not a cheap bike. It's components are shimano and not the bottom of the line ones either... it's a mid-line comfort bike. The Shimano Acera Rapidfire Plus shifters are great.

My main bike is a S-works stumpjumper 29 w/ full xtr comps and fox rear and front suspension. I use the Del Sol LXI Flow 2 to cruise around with my kids for a nice comfy ride.
Old 04-17-20, 02:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by SlothRide
It's not a cheap bike. It's components are shimano and not the bottom of the line ones either... it's a mid-line comfort bike. The Shimano Acera Rapidfire Plus shifters are great.

My main bike is a S-works stumpjumper 29 w/ full xtr comps and fox rear and front suspension. I use the Del Sol LXI Flow 2 to cruise around with my kids for a nice comfy ride.
That it has Shimano basically says nothing. Shimano has a whole range of stuff, from complete and utter cr*p to professional-level. Acera is second from the bottom of their named stuff. It's a functional group, at least. From what I see, the bike is about on par with what you'd find at Dick's Sporting goods. That is, better than Walmart and maybe equal to the low-end stuff at a bike shop. Certainly nothing special.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-18-20, 10:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by SlothRide

I had to go back and look into this as it has been a while. The bike is a cheap bike. You can go through the list of parts and see a lot of cheap stuff. JAK brakes, Random threaded suspension fork with no name... Not a good sign of quality. I have never heard of JAK and I looked them up and the only time I could find a picture was on eBay the rest was low end brake pads from other no name companies.

In terms of Shimano, that means almost nothing. Shimano is probably one of the largest companies in the industry and they make a wide range of stuff. Altus is one small step up from their absolute bottom end named group Tourney, Acera is one step up from that. 8 speed era came about in the late 80s and early 90s well over 20 years ago. Frequently on low end bikes they make sure to highlight SHIMANO parts and some even put big sticker proclaiming it because they want to equate their cheap crap with some sense of quality.

Like I said it is a copy of the Giant Cypress or the Fuji "comfort" bike that my old shop occasionally stocked. Nice and heavy with cheap outdated parts called comfort because nothing says comfort like lugging a super heavy poorly shifting and braking bike around. If a knife was held to my throat and I had to choose one of their "comfort" bikes I would go with the Flow 3. Still crap but at least you start getting a cheap but known and branded fork and hydraulic brakes with center lock hubs. Not of great quality but mediocre enough for riding once and while.

S-Works Stumpy is a great bike though.
Old 04-18-20, 10:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I assume this poster's 70-year-old mother isn't going to be carrying the bike up flights of stairs. I assume also she isn't out bagging PRs and QOMs .... and in fact her basic needs are comfort and reliability. If I am wrong, so be it. But the simple fact that this "comfort bike" appealed to her says a lot.

Lots of the elderly folk in my neighborhood rid crappy cruisers, and a few ride trikes---which probably weigh 70 pounds and would be dangerous at any speed about 10 mph ... which is about as fast as any of them choose to go..

A few have electric-assist bikes and love them because they can get across the road or up the road to the next st of cul-de-sacs without worrying about backing up auto traffic so much---or they can zip up the road when there are no cars.

I'd ask what type of riding the lady in question might want to do, and what level of fitness she has and aspirs to.
Old 11-19-20, 02:10 PM
DougSt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gob
Bump from page 2. Anyone have any info on Del Sol? This is my last bump. Will just see if it gets any responses and will assume no.
I just purchase a DEL SOL ZXI FlOW 2 from a reputable dealer in Brooksville FL. and will update this latter. I have had several back & neck surgeries the last several years & needed a comfortable step thru bike. The test ride on the aluminum frame bike was comfortable & the 9 speed Shimano shifted like butter. This is not a Box Store crap bike. If you need higher end parts DEL SOL has other models for a higher price.
Old 11-19-20, 02:16 PM
DougSt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gob
I just purchase a DEL SOL ZXI FlOW 2 from a reputable dealer in Brooksville FL. and will update this latter. I have had several back & neck surgeries the last several years & needed a comfortable step thru bike. The test ride on the aluminum frame bike was comfortable & the 9 speed Shimano shifted like butter. This is not a Box Store crap bike. If you need higher end parts DEL SOL has other models for a higher price.
Old 12-15-20, 01:23 PM
kingspointer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I had to go back and look into this as it has been a while. The bike is a cheap bike. You can go through the list of parts and see a lot of cheap stuff. JAK brakes, Random threaded suspension fork with no name... Not a good sign of quality. I have never heard of JAK and I looked them up and the only time I could find a picture was on eBay the rest was low end brake pads from other no name companies.

In terms of Shimano, that means almost nothing. Shimano is probably one of the largest companies in the industry and they make a wide range of stuff. Altus is one small step up from their absolute bottom end named group Tourney, Acera is one step up from that. 8 speed era came about in the late 80s and early 90s well over 20 years ago. Frequently on low end bikes they make sure to highlight SHIMANO parts and some even put big sticker proclaiming it because they want to equate their cheap crap with some sense of quality.

Like I said it is a copy of the Giant Cypress or the Fuji "comfort" bike that my old shop occasionally stocked. Nice and heavy with cheap outdated parts called comfort because nothing says comfort like lugging a super heavy poorly shifting and braking bike around. If a knife was held to my throat and I had to choose one of their "comfort" bikes I would go with the Flow 3. Still crap but at least you start getting a cheap but known and branded fork and hydraulic brakes with center lock hubs. Not of great quality but mediocre enough for riding once and while.

S-Works Stumpy is a great bike though.

Is there a comfort (upright riding position) bike you do like? thanks.
Old 12-15-20, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by kingspointer
Is there a comfort (upright riding position) bike you do like? thanks.
The Specialized Roll Elite is a decent bike and quite comfortable. Having ridden it I really recommend it for comfort and lightweight as well. It is what a comfort bike should be. Decent more modern parts and a well designed frame that can fit wide tires. Plus Specialized does offer a lifetime warranty on frame and fork for the original owner as well.
Old 05-17-22, 04:15 AM
f.k.march

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Del sol,

Originally Posted by gob
,. In my " opinion Del sol are made by Haro bikes " leaders in BMX bike, built strong and reliable, I have a DEL SOL e- bike here in Australia , apart from the restriction they put on for legal purposes, it's a great bike for the suburbs ,