Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Idiots guide to pedaling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Idiots guide to pedaling

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 04:35 PM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Idiots guide to pedaling

Hello friends,

I'm after some advice on how to pedal correctly. Mainly I want to concentrate on efficeincy and reducing knee discomfort.

I've had a bike fit so I feel I have done everything I can in that department. I tend to get a wee bit of discomfort after a long day out of the saddle climbing. It tends to be above the kneecap, and outer knee.

I've read about trying to scrape mud off with your heals? Anyone else have any tips or good videos/articles to look at?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Champ340; 07-22-19 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-22-19, 04:46 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
All of my knee pain is just below the kneecap, so I'm not the best help.

Scraping is done while seated, and not while climbing out of the saddle.

Try an equally long day without doing any out of the saddle work, does the knee still hurt?
Old 07-22-19, 05:12 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Not all bike fits are equal so I wouldn't necessarily assume that your fit is perfect.

That said, you might have more luck just increasing your cadence which will reduce the forces being applied. Try sitting and spinning rather than climbing out of the saddle.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-22-19, 07:10 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Not all bike fits are equal so I wouldn't necessarily assume that your fit is perfect.

That said, you might have more luck just increasing your cadence which will reduce the forces being applied. Try sitting and spinning rather than climbing out of the saddle.
Thanks for that. Maybe I will book in at a different bike fit person. At $200 a pop it will be a tough pill to swallow but better than wrecking my knees.

I have been increasing my cadence, keeping it between 90 and 110 which I find is helping.

Many thanks.
Old 07-23-19, 12:34 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I'm not sure it's your pedaling. Feeling mild discomfort after a long day doing anything strikes me as normal. I feel mild discomfort a good deal of the time, not just in cycling but in almost everything physical that I do.
Old 07-23-19, 12:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Stretch, if not doing so already.

Every night before bed is wonderful.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-23-19, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
dunno of this is helpful to you, but, I've read that one should keep their back straight. when I ride by shop windows I can see that mine is not. I've also read, it helps to straighten your back by visualizing pushing your butt out, as if, to arch your back the other way. which of course, I can not do, but I can visualize that. sometimes I have to remind myself. it feels a little awkward, but I've done it riding by a shop window & my back is better but still not straight & my butt certainly is not sticking out. but if is a step in the right direction
Old 07-23-19, 12:59 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
It's not pedaling so much as it is spinning. Just how big of a gear are you trying to push? I don't know the specifics of your situation, but if you're out there mashing with every stroke instead of spinning then you're gonna have problems. Try downshifting and focusing on higher cadence spinning and less mashing.

-Kedosto
Old 07-23-19, 01:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Did your bike fit include cleat placement to get your feet that correct angle for you?
Old 07-23-19, 01:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I think a cadenceof 90-110 qualifies as 'spinning.' The old heuristic is: knee pain on the front, seat too low. Knee pain behind knee, seat too high.

What led you to get a bike fit? Can you go back with your complaint?
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-23-19, 01:29 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Three posts, you don't say how long you've been at it. You can get all kinds of advice when asking here on BF and all is good intentioned and gives the "what works for most people, what the TT, racers, fondo riders do". With that said, I say go ride a while if new, find "your" rythme, best position, most comfortable, etc. To justify "My thinking", I use Froome as an example. When he's climbing, he's usually spinning , maybe scraping dung like Lemond did while others are out of saddle, and he looks miserable but it must be what works for him. My legs from the top down to include the feet look just like yours but I bet we might be way different. WOW, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about don't I?

LOL, Buckey Cats fan.
Old 07-23-19, 01:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
I see people riding with knees spread. Mine nearly brush the top tube.

Did i I miss a comment about cleats/pedals?
Old 07-23-19, 01:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I see people riding with knees spread. Mine nearly brush the top tube.

Did i I miss a comment about cleats/pedals?
My racing days mantra after my knee issues showed up was "brush that paint" (on the top tube). Always helped. I was feeling my knees the other day, "Oh yeah." Still works.

And yes, for some of us, cleat placement and angle is key.
Old 07-23-19, 01:57 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Rollers
Old 07-23-19, 02:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Brushing the top tube, been doing that since mid 1970's with help from cleat angle. PLENTY of video on You Tube regarding pedaling technique/efficiency, even lots about bike fit. Agree about spinning and gear inch. Would LOVE to spin my 53/12 at 90.
Old 07-23-19, 02:10 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
If you work on and/or maintain good flexibility and muscle balance for both upper and lower body combined with a proper fit you will not have to worry about form per se while pedaling in the saddle. The preceding will by default have you maintaining proper form. You will automatically pretty much always naturally be in the proper form. The proper form varies from individual to individual so you shouldn't be overly strict on trying to maintain a one type form for all is the right one.

Riding out of the saddle on a climb does produce different and greater forces on your knees. However, if you use proper form, (you will have to develop that), and you have healthy knees you will be fine there too. At a certain point in terms of weight the heavier, a rider is the more difficult it is to climb out of the saddle. You won't find too many 200 pound or 200 plus riders coming out of the saddle very much especially on longer climbs. (And the older they are that amount will get less after a certain age.)
Old 07-23-19, 02:49 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
Thanks for that. Maybe I will book in at a different bike fit person. At $200 a pop it will be a tough pill to swallow but better than wrecking my knees.

I have been increasing my cadence, keeping it between 90 and 110 which I find is helping.

Many thanks.
If you like the fitter and they are competent you should be able to go back for 1 or 2 fine tunings. All anyone can do is fit you in the bell curve. Your normal may be a bit different. Can't hurt to ask before you drop any more cashe!
Old 07-23-19, 03:19 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
dunno of this is helpful to you, but, I've read that one should keep their back straight. when I ride by shop windows I can see that mine is not. I've also read, it helps to straighten your back by visualizing pushing your butt out, as if, to arch your back the other way. which of course, I can not do, but I can visualize that. sometimes I have to remind myself. it feels a little awkward, but I've done it riding by a shop window & my back is better but still not straight & my butt certainly is not sticking out. but if is a step in the right direction
Thank you I will definitely try keeping my back straighter. I will try rocking my hips forward as well.
Old 07-23-19, 03:33 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for all of the awesome replies everyone.

To add a bit of context. I purchased a new second hand bike and that was when I got the bike fit, new stem, new handlebars. A month later I got new shoes. The cleat position was traced off my old shoes and replicated on my new shoes. I use Shimano yellow cleats on dura ace pedals. I also switched the 23 cassette to an 11-28.

I'm 185lbs and my rides are no longer than 2 hours. Average 4-500km a month. I got back into cycling last November after a 4 year hiatus.

I will try scraping the paint off the top tube and keeping my back straight. Also spin up the hills, the steeper ones around me I have no choice but to get out of saddle. The higher cadence seems to be helping. Like I say it's only mild discomfort but I just want to ensure I am pedaling correctly so I can get the most out of my knees.
Old 07-24-19, 06:26 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Stretch, if not doing so already.

Every night before bed is wonderful.

-Tim-
Might help, might not.

Current research advises caution, since stretching has been shown to lead to weakening of connective tissue in some cases. At 67, I ride fairly hard for up to 14 hours a week, and I've never felt the need to stretch.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-24-19, 06:36 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree to reduce down force on pedals and spin more, after riding like that for a while slowly increase how hard you are pedaling. as you get stronger so will your knees.

also stretching after rides is important. at least try grabbing your foot with your hand and pulling up to your butt and holding for 30 seconds with each leg. do this 2-3 times after each ride.
Old 07-24-19, 06:41 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Old 07-24-19, 06:44 AM
eja_ bottecchia

BTW, I regularly ride on the road depicted on this video. Normally very windy, especially in the afternoon. But nice ocean views, surfers and dolphins.
Old 07-24-19, 06:45 AM
eja_ bottecchia

And finally...

Old 07-24-19, 07:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
Thank you for all of the awesome replies everyone.

To add a bit of context. I purchased a new second hand bike and that was when I got the bike fit, new stem, new handlebars. A month later I got new shoes. The cleat position was traced off my old shoes and replicated on my new shoes. I use Shimano yellow cleats on dura ace pedals. I also switched the 23 cassette to an 11-28.

I'm 185lbs and my rides are no longer than 2 hours. Average 4-500km a month. I got back into cycling last November after a 4 year hiatus.

I will try scraping the paint off the top tube and keeping my back straight. Also spin up the hills, the steeper ones around me I have no choice but to get out of saddle. The higher cadence seems to be helping. Like I say it's only mild discomfort but I just want to ensure I am pedaling correctly so I can get the most out of my knees.
I ride many many miles in high gear, use platform pedals, and the rare times I get knee pain, it's clearly muscular and goes away within an hour or two of rest. I'm not saying any of that will apply to you, but what I am saying is no one on this forum really can know what's causing your pain, and you might need to do a lot more trial and error if it recurs. For a variety of reasons unrelated to my knees, I need to be able to shift my feet around while riding, so cleats have never been an option for me. I question whether there is any science behind the long-term effects of any cleat placement.

I'm not going to dig it out again, but there's a study that indicates spinning and mashing both increase slightly the chances of repetitive knee injury at about the same rate, just that there is a difference in the type of injury you'd see with each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.