Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Recommend a 29+ tire

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Recommend a 29+ tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 07:33 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Recommend a 29+ tire

I've been running two tires for this size on separate wheelsets. Surly Dirt Wizards and Panaracer FatBNimbles.
Completely different tires for the right job. I just found a 10mm gash on the DWs and need a replacement. Looking a for a replacement in the rear which is a little faster but not as fast as the FBNs.
Has anyone tried Surly Knards in a non-fat tire size? Don't need to match tire brands so recommendations for any less aggressive of any brand is welcome. thanks
Old 07-23-19, 07:35 AM
qclabrat

forgot to mention it should be a true to size 3" tire
Old 07-23-19, 11:36 AM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
XR2 (FKA Chupacabra)?
Old 07-23-19, 03:34 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Fast? In a 3.0 x 29er? Hmm. Running maxxis chronicles on my krampus, nothing to compare it to though. Flatish triangle, low profile knobs.
Old 07-24-19, 06:58 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Ryder1
XR2 (FKA Chupacabra)?
How knobby are the XR2s they look similar to FBNs? I have a set of XR4s and just read they came in a 29+ size which I can't seem to find at the moment.
They would be perfect as they are one of my favorites for the rear. XR4s are also relatively cheap and a good alternative to Minions which are the benchmark for many in rowdier tires.
Old 07-24-19, 07:02 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Leebo
Fast? In a 3.0 x 29er? Hmm. Running maxxis chronicles on my krampus, nothing to compare it to though. Flatish triangle, low profile knobs.
speed is relative, no? lol
Throw on a set of DWs on the Krampus to see the difference....
I've been intrigued by the Chronicle. Looks speedy. How are they on wet roots and rocks? Compounds on a lot of the Maxxis tires seem to do well in wet.
Old 07-24-19, 04:36 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
My chronicles are on my bikepacking rig, did ok in the mud and wet rocks. For low profile knobbies.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 07-24-19, 06:00 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
How knobby are the XR2s they look similar to FBNs? I have a set of XR4s and just read they came in a 29+ size which I can't seem to find at the moment.

They would be perfect as they are one of my favorites for the rear. XR4s are also relatively cheap and a good alternative to Minions which are the benchmark for many in rowdier tires.

XR2 nobs are small for sure, but there are many and they do a better job than you'd think, esp. in back. In my time riding them, I was always a bit hesitant to lean the bike over hard, for fear the front would wash out, but have a friend who shreds impressively on them in desert terrain. I have the XR4 (29x2.4) in front of my trail bike and like it well enough it considering it's weight (wanna try a Spesh Eliminator 2.3 grid instead), but the 3.0 version is considerably heavier than the XR2 @ 3.0. I'd never put a xr4 3.0 in back, maybe xr3/xr2? As for FBN, no experience but it has an AWFUL reputation durability-wise. And not a true 3.0.
Old 07-25-19, 08:02 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Ryder1
XR2 nobs are small for sure, but there are many and they do a better job than you'd think, esp. in back. In my time riding them, I was always a bit hesitant to lean the bike over hard, for fear the front would wash out, but have a friend who shreds impressively on them in desert terrain. I have the XR4 (29x2.4) in front of my trail bike and like it well enough it considering it's weight (wanna try a Spesh Eliminator 2.3 grid instead), but the 3.0 version is considerably heavier than the XR2 @ 3.0. I'd never put a xr4 3.0 in back, maybe xr3/xr2? As for FBN, no experience but it has an AWFUL reputation durability-wise. And not a true 3.0.
I forgot about the SE series and will look at the the SE2 and SE3 in addition to the XR counterparts you mentioned. As for the FBNs, I was leary about them as well but they are primarily used with rock free flowy sandy dirt in South Jersey. Guess that's their penalty for being so light. On Velocity Duallys they air up to about 2.7, so yeah they are quite a bit undersized.