Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

on-line resource for Utah routes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 04:36 PM
DieuLeVeut
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any on line resources that would help me plan a 600 to 800 mile tour in Utah on lesser traveled but paved roads? I’m not looking for a supported tour but maybe their route would be helpful. Can anyone who has done this length or longer ride in Utah give me some ideas of the best areas to visit? Any other women who have done it?
Are there any web sites that have good long distance touring routes in other areas of the U.S.?.
Old 02-01-08, 04:39 PM
deanp
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.routeslip.com and click the Discover Routes icon, maybe someone has mapped an route?
Old 02-01-08, 05:20 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In case you don't already know about it, Adventure Cycling has maps for bike tours, as well as doing supported and paid-self-supported-group tours. Look at their "Utah Cliffs Loop", "Grand Canyon Connector" and "Western Express".

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/network.cfm

If you buy the maps, they have a lot of details about services, elevation profiles, camping. If you don't want to, you can download GPS files of their maps for free, which you can view in Google Earth.

I'm thinking about Utah too, for a possible spring tour. I've climbed quite a bit near Moab, the season is really short - spring is cold and can rain or snow and be very windy, we usually don't climb until mid-february and get some storms... March can be great, it can already be too hot in late April. Fall is the most settled, but I haven't spent enough time there to know exactly what the right timeframe is.

The area around Moab / Canyonlands is spectacular. Arches Nat'l park. Castle Valley, the LaSalles... South of Moab towards Monticellos, the Abajo Range...

I've been to Bryce and Zion w/o a bike, would totally go back there. Incredible scenery. Southwestern Utah is surprisingly high - I think the Adv.Cycl. routes take you over an 11,000 foot pass near St. George, so it's tricky figuring out when to go - too cold and too hot at the same time.

Good luck with your planning!
Old 02-01-08, 09:36 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode across southern Utah riding thru 4 national parks. Loved it. Lots of pics on my journal if you want to take a look
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2391
Old 02-01-08, 09:50 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some usefully links and info on this site:

https://www.cyclingutah.com/Welcome.html

Bill J.
Old 02-02-08, 03:43 PM
DieuLeVeut
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all!

Valygrl, thanks for the link there is some really helpful info there. I've been to Arches by car and really liked it which is why I want to take two weeks and explore the rest of Utah on a bike. Everyone I've talked to says Bryce is eyestunning. I am thinking May so I have some time to work this out. I don't mind getting lost if I have the time but I want a good sense of where I should be going when I decide I better find my way out of being lost

Bokes, what can I say, I'm jealous. Thanks for the great photos. Your trip is inspiring and makes me want to really do this.

Specbill, Thanks that site will help fill some possible routes in.

deanp, I have to look further into that site. thanks

This site and the people here are a really good resource!

Last edited by DieuLeVeut; 02-02-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 04:14 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieuLeVeut
Thank you all!

I've been to Arches by car and really liked it which is why I want to take two weeks and explore the rest of Utah on a bike. Everyone I've talked to says Bryce is eyestunning. I am thinking March so I have some time to work this out.
Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP are both amazing and only 80 miles apart. Hwy. 12 from Bryce to Torrey is one of the most scenic rides you'll ever come upon. You'll have a permanent smile on your face! The problem with planning to go in March is that Bryce in set at 8-9000 ft and will still be under snow. If you can wait until early June the region will be fantastic! I've done these areas before and will be back again this June!

All the best,
Old 05-30-08, 05:08 PM
llamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when are you thinking of going, unless you've already made it? i might be there in a month or two
Old 05-31-08, 10:39 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Hwy 89 down the central part of the state is a really nice ride, lots of little towns and nice people, traffic isn't bad, good access to multiple state and national parks.