Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

dia compe ac 500 brake re-installation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 11:18 PM
bill12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello,
i recently purchased a miyata 110 road bike from craigslist for $15 and i think it needs a little bit of work.
first, i'm going to work on the brakes. they're dia compe ac 500 brakes, and for now im focusing on the rear brake. the pads didnt seem to be working together (one side was pulling more than the other), and the cable and housing was frayed in spots. so, i went to a local cycle store and they sold me some cable and some housing, along with some housing end caps and ferrules (sp? i think that's what they sold me - little pieces to clamp down onto the end of the cable). i took all the brake pieces off to clean them, and now im not sure what that i cleaned off was road grime and what was necessary grease.

1) could you tell me which parts of the rear brake assembly should be greased (just either side of washers, other parts too, nothing?) ?

2) im a little concerned with trimming the cables after i have them threaded through the brake and tightened down, because i dont want them to fray and keep unwinding over time, and make it so i cant clamp a ferrule down on them. will a decent pair of wire cutters be okay? is soldering the end of the wire to prevent it from fraying ever done? any tips here?

3) also, it seems as if on the handlebar end of things, i dont know if i should be removing this rubber "cover" that slides over the brake mechanism (also dia compe), or if i can just leave the handle bars and brake levers in place and thread the new wire in from that end and not worry about anything since the new cables have stops attached to them?
the brake levers have little metal pieces that slide left or right with the text "<--- release --->", but with the rubber "covers" on part of the brake levers i cant see much past that... could anyone explain it?

im sorry i cant describe a lot of this very clearly, but it's all new to me. i just figured that rather than spend $500 on a brand new bike i could learn about this $15 bike while making repairs and eventually upgrade if i totally ruin this one

thanks for any input/suggestions/help/explanations,
-bill