Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 02:25 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
gitarzan - That is a very nice looking ride... I like the curves.
Old 04-10-11, 10:30 PM
freighttraininguphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought my Specialized Sirrus used last summer. It had a road wheel in the back with a 700x28c tire, and a hybrid wheel in the front with a 700x35c. I replaced the front wheel with a road wheel and 700x28c tire and added a stemraiser, bar ends, bottle cages, and a saddlebag. Unfortunately, the largest rear cog on the cassette was only a 24t, so I didn't ride this bike much, especially since I got a road bike with a triple and replaced the stock cassette with a Shimano MegaRange 11-34, and the small front chainring with a 24t. After that I had to replace the rear derailleur with a Shimano Deore long-cage mtb derailleur.

The other day I finally got around to making those same modifications to the drivetrain of the Sirrus, and replacing the stock saddle with a Specialized Dolce women's saddle, so now it climbs as good or better than the road bike and is much more comfortable than it used to be.

Specialized Sirrus near top of Ridgeview Drive by kittyz202, on Flickr

Specialized Sirrus next to Folsom's 'Bicycle Friendly Community' sign by kittyz202, on Flickr
Old 04-11-11, 07:20 AM
Kerrvillian

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trigger's Current Incarnation

Here is Trigger's current incarnation.

Trek 7200 Hybrid with stock pedals, saddle, and a lot of other things. Topeak rear rack, fenders and mismatched water bottle cages. Bontrager ergo grips.

You'll see the recently added and not taped drop bar ends. These are still "experimental". I like some of having them, I dislike some of having them. May just be an interim option until I decide to actually swap out the entire handlebar for something else.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trigger1.jpg (103.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 04-11-11, 08:47 AM
Riverside_Guy

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just came across a very interesting video, making of a custom steel frame in a custom frame shop in CA:

https://vimeo.com/18969652
Old 04-11-11, 10:28 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is my wife and my kid posing with the newly installed childseat on my bike:

It can be attached or detached in a minute so I'll only install it when needed.
Old 04-11-11, 10:32 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerrvillian
May just be an interim option until I decide to actually swap out the entire handlebar for something else.
How many speeds do you have in the rear? I have 7 on mine, and I went with drop bars and old Suntour Barcon power ratchet bar-end shifters. Shifting is very smooth for "friction" shifters (they are friction shifters going smaller cogs, and ratcheted going to larger cogs, so they don't slip). I really like the setup. I also have aero brake levers.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-11-11, 11:03 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
This is my wife and my kid posing with the newly installed childseat on my bike:

It can be attached or detached in a minute so I'll only install it when needed.
it needs pedals so the kids can help
Old 04-11-11, 02:09 PM
Kerrvillian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
How many speeds do you have in the rear? I have 7 on mine, and I went with drop bars and old Suntour Barcon power ratchet bar-end shifters. Shifting is very smooth for "friction" shifters (they are friction shifters going smaller cogs, and ratcheted going to larger cogs, so they don't slip). I really like the setup. I also have aero brake levers.
The stock gears are 8 in the rear. They are controlled through the handle bar "grip" shifter/brake lever housing.

I'm thinking of a trekking bar for the handle bar. Not sure if that would require new shifter/brake levers.
Old 04-11-11, 06:59 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The stock gears are 8 in the rear. They are controlled through the handle bar "grip" shifter/brake lever housing.

I'm thinking of a trekking bar for the handle bar. Not sure if that would require new shifter/brake levers.
Nope:

Old 04-11-11, 11:33 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

...It can be attached or detached in a minute so I'll only install it when needed.
Lovely picture. "The Cycling Family"
Old 04-12-11, 04:33 AM
Kerrvillian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Nope:

To quote C. Montgomery Burns "Excellent!"
Old 04-13-11, 03:54 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool setup with the gripshifts on the trekking bar irclean
Old 04-13-11, 07:17 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My hybrid Diamondback:

I am an older, very out of shape new rider struggling with the local rolling hills. I am riding about 5, 6 miles a day so far.

Good points about this bike:

--Easy off and on because of the girlie bike style. Works well, looks funny.
--good on the rough city streets, crossing railroad tracks
--easily shifts through the gears
--I like my stupid and cheap Walmart basket

Bad points, either about the bike or the bike's relationship with me:

--I can't get comfortable. I move the seat all over and can't find a happy place. The handle bars feel too high. They are much higher than the seat. I am short, I can't have the seat up any higher. My hands and wrists hurt even in my short rides.

--The pedals are slippery but I can't get them off to put on any different ones. Broke my husbands wrench trying to take them off.
Old 04-13-11, 09:48 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by goldfinch
My hybrid Diamondback:...

I am an older, very out of shape new rider struggling with the local rolling hills. I am riding about 5, 6 miles a day so far.

Good points about this bike:

--Easy off and on because of the girlie bike style. Works well, looks funny.
--good on the rough city streets, crossing railroad tracks
--easily shifts through the gears
--I like my stupid and cheap Walmart basket

Bad points, either about the bike or the bike's relationship with me:

--I can't get comfortable. I move the seat all over and can't find a happy place. The handle bars feel too high. They are much higher than the seat. I am short, I can't have the seat up any higher. My hands and wrists hurt even in my short rides.

--The pedals are slippery but I can't get them off to put on any different ones. Broke my husbands wrench trying to take them off.
Congratulations on your purchase. Your bike doesn't look funny at all, and I should know, as I have a funny bike.
Now, if the handle bars are too high, why not lower the stem? It looks adjustable. I don't know if that is related to your wrist pain, as wrist pain is often associated with too much pressure leaning on the bars. Since your bars are high, I don't think it is.

The pedal vs wrench...maybe it's because you are screwing the bolt against the thread. Just do a search on google and you'll see that the thread is different to normal.

Have fun.
Old 04-13-11, 09:52 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To quote C. Montgomery Burns "Excellent!"
Cool setup with the gripshifts on the trekking bar irclean
Thanks! I was a little nervous about going with grip shifts since I'm so used to trigger and thumb shifters. That, and the only grip shifters I've used before were crap. These were a little higher quality and I'm very happy with the results.
Old 04-14-11, 04:47 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah most gripshifters are crap indeed and many people seem to hate gripshifts because of this.
My gripshifts are the SRAM Attack's and they have worked flawlessly until now ... they are about the most expensive gripshifts one can buy after all.
The only thing you can't do with gripshifts is shift when your whole hand is full of wet mud ... but that doesn't hold me back because I do not ride through wet mud
What I can do with my gripshifts that triggers can't do is shift up to 8 gears in one pull ... that can be handy sometimes when encountering sudden slipperyness in the woods.
Old 04-14-11, 06:15 AM
ejschultz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pedal wrench will go above the pedal and you'll pull it back toward the rear of the bike. In other words, the left pedal turns clockwise to loosen and the right pedal turns counterclockwise to loosen. The reasoning behind that is so the pedals don't come off while you're riding (I had that happen once when I was a kid; it hurt just a little...).
Old 04-14-11, 06:33 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ejschultz
The pedal wrench will go above the pedal and you'll pull it back toward the rear of the bike. In other words, the left pedal turns clockwise to loosen and the right pedal turns counterclockwise to loosen. The reasoning behind that is so the pedals don't come off while you're riding (I had that happen once when I was a kid; it hurt just a little...).
Yup. I also think of it as "righty-tighty as usual" for the right side, since it's "right", a.k.a. "correct"; and the left pedal is "not right" therefore it's "wrong", or "lefty-tighty".

I remove pedals by leveling the cranks, standing over the bike, attaching the wrench to the forward pedal so that the wrench also points forward, putting my chest against the top tube or saddle, then pulling up on the wrench and the rear pedal at the same time. Lots of leverage, and it always turns the pedal spindle the correct way.
Old 04-14-11, 07:22 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did google and found the method for removing pedals and lowering the handlebars. Neither will budge. As I mentioned, I (actually the neighbor guy) broke the wrench trying to remove a pedal. For the handlebars, I just tried putting the allen wrench on the nut on the top of the stem and it will not turn. I bonked the stem a bit to see if it would free. I sprayed WD-40. Still will not budge for nothing. (Sorry if this belongs in another thread, I still am finding my way around here.)
Old 04-14-11, 07:29 AM
ejschultz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I changed the pedals on my Utopia, I had to literally disassemble the entire right pedal and use a pipe wrench to get it off. The left one wasn't too tough, but that right one was a b*tch.
Old 04-14-11, 08:28 AM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did google and found the method for removing pedals and lowering the handlebars. Neither will budge. As I mentioned, I (actually the neighbor guy) broke the wrench trying to remove a pedal. For the handlebars, I just tried putting the allen wrench on the nut on the top of the stem and it will not turn. I bonked the stem a bit to see if it would free. I sprayed WD-40. Still will not budge for nothing. (Sorry if this belongs in another thread, I still am finding my way around here.)
I tried using a crescent wrench on the allen wrench for leverage. Still no luck.
Old 04-14-11, 08:42 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

I tried using a crescent wrench on the allen wrench for leverage. Still no luck.
It appears that the employee who assembled your bike may have failed to put an adequate amount of gease on those parts.
I'm not sure of the bike shops in your area, but the ones here would never charge for changing your pedals if you buy them from the shop.
While you are there simply ask them to adjust the stem. Again, I'd be surprised if they charged you for that. Do you think a new saddle would help? If so, thank them by buying a new saddle and surely they'd correctly fit that for you too.
Old 04-14-11, 09:36 AM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All good ideas--the nearest bike shop is about 60 miles away, so I am fussing myself to see what I can do. I let the stem sit with the wd-40 for a while and tried again, using the crescent wrench for leverage. I got the nut loosened on the stem. Turns out it already was as far in as it would go. Major bummer.

In a few weeks we will go into the bike shop to get my spouse's free tuneup after buying his bike. I'll see what they can do to help me with my bike. I think that I could ride further than I am but between my hands and my butt I am having serious comfort problems. At first I thought they would go away as I got used to riding but they are not.

I do hate the saddle. It feels fat and wide. Although I am still overweight I am small boned.

Originally Posted by giantcfr1
It appears that the employee who assembled your bike may have failed to put an adequate amount of gease on those parts.
I'm not sure of the bike shops in your area, but the ones here would never charge for changing your pedals if you buy them from the shop.
While you are there simply ask them to adjust the stem. Again, I'd be surprised if they charged you for that. Do you think a new saddle would help? If so, thank them by buying a new saddle and surely they'd correctly fit that for you too.
Old 04-14-11, 10:14 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the nearest bike shop is about 60 miles away
Around here there are hundreds of bike shops within 60 miles of my house
Old 04-16-11, 05:52 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
"WOOHOO" finally my new schwalbe sammy slicks arrived and man do these things roll fast, I these tires as much as I my bike.
I was going to try them out once on the way to work then save them for trail riding but I think I'll leave them on and still use ultremo R1's for weekend road rides.
As fast as they feel on the road they are also smooooth "WOOHOO"
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

They also comfortably fit a 26er frame remembering they are 29er wheels. They are 35mm wide and 30mm high. There also a folding tire and weigh half as much as my vittoria 28c's also during hard cornering there's not much squirming feeling on the nobbies, did I say I love these tires.
And yep the tire is on backwards I fixed that
[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.