Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

18 speed Fuji Saratoga 1980's or 1990's

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

18 speed Fuji Saratoga 1980's or 1990's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 10:10 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have one for for sale in this same model / color scheme near me. 27 inch wheels which i believe makes it an 1989 model. I am curious to know if the cantis on this can be adjusted up/down to allow me to eventually run more modern 700c wheels. I know some cantis will but some wont. I also know i have seen some bikes that have different canti posts which are different in such a way that you cant run more modern calipers which allow the up/down adjustment. I would likely run the 27in wheelset until i good deal on 700s came along or the 27s failed in some way. I am just hoping they can be adjusted. The spec sheet for this model year says they are suntour XCM BRS cantilievers but i cant find much on them online. IF this is a 1989 model shown above it would have the diacompe advantage ii 983d brakes and again...i cant find much on those to know if they are adjustable up and down. I know alot of the diacompe 900 series you cant.

Also...how are these Accushift suntour barcons? I know the old ratcheting barcons are great but i have never had a chance to run the indexed style like these. Can you switch them to friction and if so, do they ratchet like the older ones? Are they all plastic or are they painted black metal?

Also....i know this thread is from 2009. I dont know why that is valid or even a concern. Im sure someone will bring it up on a condescending way. It's the internet. It has information.......even old information. I have never understood the "this is an old thread comments". The bike itself is 30 years old. With that same argument you could crap all over someone for posting a picture of their bike suggesting it was too old and shame them for posting that .

Last edited by scale; 12-09-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 12:59 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I have one for for sale in this same model / color scheme near me. 27 inch wheels which i believe makes it an 1989 model. I am curious to know if the cantis on this can be adjusted up/down to allow me to eventually run more modern 700c wheels. I know some cantis will but some wont. I also know i have seen some bikes that have different canti posts which are different in such a way that you cant run more modern calipers which allow the up/down adjustment. I would likely run the 27in wheelset until i good deal on 700s came along or the 27s failed in some way. I am just hoping they can be adjusted. The spec sheet for this model year says they are suntour XCM BRS cantilievers but i cant find much on them online. IF this is a 1989 model shown above it would have the diacompe advantage ii 983d brakes and again...i cant find much on those to know if they are adjustable up and down. I know alot of the diacompe 900 series you cant.

Also...how are these Accushift suntour barcons? I know the old ratcheting barcons are great but i have never had a chance to run the indexed style like these. Can you switch them to friction and if so, do they ratchet like the older ones? Are they all plastic or are they painted black metal?

Also....i know this thread is from 2009. I dont know why that is valid or even a concern. Im sure someone will bring it up on a condescending way. It's the internet. It has information.......even old information. I have never understood the "this is an old thread comments". The bike itself is 30 years old. With that same argument you could crap all over someone for posting a picture of their bike suggesting it was too old and shame them for posting that .
OK. How about bringing it back again?
The cantilevers will probably accommodate 700c but why? The wheels were tough and you can still find good tires.
The barends can be switched to friction but work fine in indexing mode on either a Suntour or Shimano 7 speed freewheel or cassette. They are metal and are tough enough to take a scrap or two. Just dab a little paint on em and they look fine. They are as good a touring bike as any. I'd lower the gearing a tad but I'm a softie.
Old 09-30-21, 07:39 AM
WalkerBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome bike.

Originally Posted by cyanemi
Attachment 126048Attachment 126047Attachment 126046Attachment 126045

Here are some poor pictures of the Fuji Saratoga. WHich I think is a 1989. It rides great and is as fast as I want. I am thrilled that I did not buy a new road bike and saved all this money.

This EXACT bike just popped up on my local marketplace, I don't even need one as I recently got a 80s Pinarello.

But I would love to find a friend who needs one. Do you like it still?