Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 04:52 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hello Ted,
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 70 year old Texas road rider..

Old 09-04-12, 11:59 AM
epiking

Bikes: '86 Miyata 1000, '85 Raleigh Elkhorn (retired), 2000 Specializer HardRock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 59
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? My current ride is a hybridized 85 Raleigh Elkhorn (MTB)

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I take a daily multi-vitamin and glucosamine-chrondroitin.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I lost about 4-5 mph (flat level). My recent riding efforts are about 4 months old, not sure if there are more gains to be had.

4. How long have you been biking? Off and on all my adult life, in the early 70's as a college student, in the mid 80's (daily commuted), recently began cycling for fitness early May.

5. What type of biking do you do? Strickly recreational at this point although my range continues to grow.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I ride daily (early mornings) and sometimes in the evening. It is hot in Arizona (flat lands) this time of year. Once the weather cools off that will change. Should be over 2000mi (annual) at current pace.

I recently began exercising, I am limited to low impact type activities. The exercise bike was so boring I opted to do the real thing. Having fun.
Old 09-10-12, 05:21 PM
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 here
1. Trek 7500 fx
2. as few as possible.
3. I'm much slower than when I was in high school, but quite a bit faster than the past 25 years or so...
4. Since second grade, but then I stopped at around 25 and didn't pick it up again till last year, and not seriously till 2 months ago.
5. Mostly fitness, but I'd like to do a century next year.
6. 5-6 days a week, around 100 miles a week now (up from 50 at first) - 15-20 weekdays, with a 30+ longer slower ride on Saturday. Maybe 2000 miles this year, looking at 4000+ next year unless I flake out.

I'm mostly focused on fitness and weight loss - I've done a lot of walking in recent years, but I found that just didn't keep the weight off - and running is out - the knees won't take it. Biking has been every bit as fun as it used to be and seems to be working for me - I can't believe I stopped for so long.
Old 09-10-12, 05:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome Esteban58 and Epiking. Enjoy
Old 09-20-12, 11:16 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age. A month away from 54.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Surly Steamroller 48x16 single speed, and fixed, mostly freewheeling these days.
Surly Long Haul trucker. Love this bike for touring and commuting.
Kabuki lugged steel roadie, I needed something to just ride found this in the basement of the LBS and built it up.
I sold my van last year, and took off work to ride along the Mississippi, got to St. Louis, and took the KATY to K.C. By the time I got to K.C. Joplin and I had experienced the tornados.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I do the baby aspirin, vitamine E and C. HBP is a family thing but have been doing okay at staying off the meds with diet and cycling

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Nope, I seem to keep up with the young guys I introduce to cycling.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I picked it back up some time ago, when I was in need of transportation, and couldn't afford a car, about 30 years ago. I finally broke from needing a car last year, selling off my van. I've commuted by bike for about 15 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I enjoy biking, so I do a lot of different riding. I enjoy touring, and commute most every day.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I ride almost every day, and gave up keeping numbers, as it took the fun out of my riding.
Old 09-25-12, 09:09 AM
Greyride

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age. 51

Raliegh Revino 2

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? The usual multivitamins.

When I was younger 20+ I had a never ending gas tank.. now I have about a 15 minute tank..

I had a bike when in high school, threw it in the trash when I got my first car and vowed never to ride one again. 30 yrs ago.

Few months since I've taken it up. Tried Hiking didn't like the fact that it took so long to get anywhere.

Still conditioning and building up. Doing around 10 - 12 miles most days.

I try to bike 3-4 days a week (weather permitting, it gets real hot here).

Last edited by Greyride; 09-25-12 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-12, 03:23 PM
Not2old

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the forum and thought this a great place to jump in!!! I'm a "young" 52 yrs old!!!

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have a new Ridley Orion, full carbon road bike

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? [B]Yes, I take GNC Mega men 50 plus Multi https://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033438 , and fish oil.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? HUMMM, I really don't think I've slowed down, as much as I feel it more the next day!! I play competitive tennis a min of 3 days a week as well as ride 2 day.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I've been riding for years, but not regularly. Mostly mountain bikes during the summer when we go camping. However, jumped into road biking in April this year and now I'm hooked.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. I ride one long ride on weekends, and at least one shorter one during the week. My weekend morning ride averages about 70 miles as I ride from my home out to the ocean, down Pacific Coast highway (turning around at 35 miles) then head back. During the week right now it's still light enough after work to get in 25-30 miles of faster paced riding.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? see above.
Old 09-29-12, 08:27 PM
jesseh627

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. I'm 50

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

4. How long have you been biking?

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
Specialized Allez, bought it used, so I don't know if it is a Double, Triple, Sport...no idea.

Should I be taking supplements?

Fairly new to cycling....I'm still trying to get faster!

I'm new to biking, got serious almost a year ago

Enjoy riding paved country back roads. Lots of wind in our part of TX and rolling hills. We've done a few charity rides, our longest being 50 miles.

I try to ride 3-4 times per week, 15-20 miles per trip with usually a 30 miler at least once per weekend. I'm on pace to do over 2,000 miles in 2012. Just completed a 50 miler and averaged 15.6 mph. I dream of the 19-20 mph range, may be just a dream forever.

Just turned 50 a few months ago
Old 09-30-12, 07:55 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 10-07-12, 05:46 PM
Solus

Bikes: older Fiji, new Janis Dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This over 50 person used to ride a Fuji street bike till life and circumstances put me on 4 wheels.
I just bought a 17” Janis Dragon MB from EMS.

Not yet though the VA does prescribe a number of meds.

It’s not that I’ve slowed down from age as much as I’ve gotten lazy from lack of direction.
I was fast walking a number of miles a day for work 11 years ago but retired without a plan for my continued physical fitness.
This is one reason I want to get back into the sport.

I’ve biked on and off for most of my life though not at all over the last 10 years. One reason for joining the forum is the motivation it inspires.

I’m interested in local trails and maybe some touring with an overnight. Once my butt’s in shape I’ll be looking at some more difficult rides in N.H. and Vt.

It’s too early to say. Just getting started again and haven’t even gotten beyond the saddle sores yet.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I turned 61 in July 2012.
Old 10-07-12, 06:08 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Hi and welcome

I believe Timtruro - I hope I have that right - a long time 50+ forum member lives on Cape Cod - I would guess near Truro. You might PM him.

Enjoy.
Old 10-07-12, 07:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Solus,

You probably already know about the CCRT, but if you don't you should. 22 miles from Dennis to Wellfleet, a very nice run. And if you add a run on the Old Colony Rail trail which heads over to Chatham from the bike rotary (yes, there is one) in Harwich you can easily make 50 miles by going end to end and back.
Old 10-08-12, 08:44 AM
pexio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all. John from western MA here. I currently ride 5 bikes (not all at the same time): a road bike, a geared dual-suspension MTB, a rigid single speed MTB, a touring bike, and a fixed gear. N+1: hell yeah! I also have a tandem which, being single, doesn't see much use these days.

Multi-vitamin, calcium supplement, fish oil, plus lisinipril (blood pressure) and simvistatin (cholesterol).

At 56, I'm probably in better shape now than at any time since my 20's, thanks to cycling. Yeah livin' that American dream was hard work and it took its toll - getting fatter, weaker, and sicker with each passing year. How come that wasn't in the brochure? Anyhoo, I've dropped 40 lbs over the last few years (to 200) and could stand to lose 20 more but, with riding and doing weights and watching what I eat, I feel GREAT!

4. How long have you been biking?
I've always loved bikes, both riding and tinkering with them, ever since my dad bought me a cruiser from Western Auto when I was 6. I built up a Sting Ray-style chopper bike in the 60's and a loved my dept. store "10-speed" in the 70's but the smell of perfume and car fumes put cycling on the shelf for me until '04 when I returned to riding with a comfort bike (Giant Cypress). In '08', I decided to try mountain biking, then bike touring in '09, road cycling in '11, and most recently I've been having fun with a fixie I put together.

I do all kinds. I mix it up to keep things fresh: an hour on the fixed gear one day, a loop in the forest on the MTB another day, a longish (50-85 miles) ride on the road bike on the weekend. I'm hope to have a century under my belt within the next few weeks. I try to ride at least a little every day.

I don't really keep track of total mileage but I like to ride a LOT! For me, cycling is the fountain of youth!
Old 10-08-12, 08:59 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome pexio. Lots of weight lifters, swimmers, etc., here, including yours truly. See

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...er-than-biking)
Old 10-13-12, 07:35 PM
genmo

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. L-Style; 2012 Surly Disc Trucker; 1994 Trek 860 Mountain-Track-Turned-Geeky-Commuter Bicycle; 1972 Raleigh Twenty; 1971 Fleetwing (Raleigh) 3-speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I turn 52 in a couple of months.

A few years ago, I turned my early 90's Trek mountain bike into a commuter. This past summer I also rode the 1971 Fleetwing (Phillips/Raleigh) 3-speed (from my early teens) and a 1972 Raleigh Twenty Folder after overhauling both this past winter. Something about riding the old English 3-speeds puts a smile on my face! I am about to order a Surly Disc Trucker through my LBS.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? When I remember, I take a multivitamin, a Vitamin D supplement and Krill Oil.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I have to pay more attention to stretching than I did when I was younger or my hip flexors complain. I don't recover from injuries as quickly as I used to.

4. How long have you been biking? I rode bikes for recreation growing up. Not that much as an adult until a few years ago when I started dabbling in commuting between cities with an assist from the bike racks on the front of local buses.

5. What type of biking do you do? So far, I seem to be a utility rider. I'm finding that the more I ride my bicycle, the less I want to drive my car.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? This summer I rode most days around town for 45 minutes to an hour. I haven't been keeping track of miles. I've been gearing up to continue riding into the winter.....studded tires, bright lights, wool socks with hiking boots, etc. We'll see how I do! My next challenge is to ride when the temperature is in the 30's....which I could've done this morning if I had gotten my act together!

Favorite pie is my mother's rhubarb custard, served warm with vanilla ice cream.

-Linda
Old 10-18-12, 08:38 AM
mnor

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
59 and back in the saddle

Please tell us your age.
I'm 59 (just a few weeks away). Haven't been on a bike since 1984.

Just purchased the Norava Gotham at Rei's. Picked it up yesterday. Love the new nuvinci N360 drive.

Off and on..... now getting more serious about it.

Since I have been working at a desk for the last 25 years and not exercising, I didn't slow down....I was stopped.
Now that I've started biking yesterday, feel like I am speeding up.

When in my 20's biked everywhere. After 26 riding was just off and on but not too much. After 1984 didn't ride at all.

Right now starting on a graident of just laps around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes. Will be working my way up to day long rides, but not sure how long that will take.

I'm doing this everyday now, too soon for long any real mileage yet.
Old 11-01-12, 07:46 PM
Eagle1

Bikes: Trek 8.5 DS, Mongoose Switchback SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike: New 2013 Trek 8.5 DS; retired '01' Mongoose Switchback SX Hybrid.

Supplements: Multivitamin/Multimineral & D3 1000u daily.

Activity Level: No change..., just a reduction in risk taking.

Time on the saddle: Regular basis for last 10 years (spring/summer/fall).

Type of rides: 70% road & 30% trail. Spend a fair amount of time camping on/off the grid and take my bike with me..., so one day it may be 35 miles of hard surface roads and the next day 20 miles of National/State Forest 2-trackers.

Frequency/Distance: Weather permitting around home base I try to ride at least 5 days a week, averaging 70 miles for the week. When camping I tend to ride every day (riding becomes an adventure) so 150 miles on the bike during the week is real easy to do. I would put my annual mileage north of 1,800 miles since retiring a few years ago.

I ride for enjoyment.., fitness is the by-product of an enjoyable ride.

Bob
Old 11-01-12, 07:50 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome

enmo
mnor
eagle1

I started bicycling (seriously) at age 58, and in 3 months did the "Ride the Rockies" on a mtn bike.

Enjoy the forum and thanks for posting!!
Old 11-05-12, 08:15 PM
Tom_Accuosti

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1993 GT Outpost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 year old guy here. In my late 40s, I realized that the more time I spent behind the desk, the more unhealthy I'd become. Started working with a personal trainer, lifting weights, and running. After a few months I remembered why I hated running, and got back into cycling. I had given it up for a few years (work, house, lack of time, etc.).

I've got a 1993 GT Outpost - a non-suspension mountain bike that I turned into my errand bike.

I've spent most of the last few years on my 1983 Cannondale ST500. I picked it up at a consignment shop, the last year put on some bar-end shifters, some ergonomic handlebars and aero-style brake levers, and replaced the touring chanring with a 52/42/30 set, and threw on some Gatorskins. This is my baby.

And I just acquired a 2008 Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy. It's fast, light, but it needs some more tweaking before it will be comfortable.

Oh, and there's my old 1980 Kabuki steel frame that I now just put up on a trainer in my garage for the winter.

Yes, I know about N+1.

Like a lot of people around here, I tend to eat Paleo, or sometimes Mediterranean. I take a men's multi-vitamin when I remember, but that's about it.

Since I became fitness oriented over the last half dozen years, most of my friends can't keep up with me anymore. Now I have to hang with the 30 year olds. For cycling, I usually ride solo, but I might start looking into group rides in the area. Physically, I'm in better shape now than I was in my 40s; my BP is down, my weight is down, and my energy level is still pretty good.

Was biking ever since I was a kid, and went through a handful of 10-speeds and 12-speeds back in the 70s & 80s. I'm fortunate that I have been able to repair and rebuild most of them.

I'm usually out for 15 to 30 miles, once to several times a week for excise. I live in Connecticut, so we have some up-and-down. My area is what I call the "rural-burbs," so I don't have to deal with much traffic. On the flip side, I do have to deal with windy back roads that aren't in the best condition.

When it's summer, I'm out 3 to 5 times a week. In the fall it's less because I don't like riding much after dark. I'm not a big mileage guy like some people here, but I probably put on 1,000 miles a year. And every year I try to extend my season a little more. Last year I rode into the early winter, and this year I'm thinking about picking up some cold weather gear.

Why, does anybody doubt this?

BTW, long time lurker here. I've been coming here for the last few years when I've been looking for information on various bikes. Glad to see that I'm not the only guy who doesn't think "Harley" when someone starts talking about a new bike.
Old 11-05-12, 08:19 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome, Tom. Enjoy the forum.
Old 11-06-12, 02:03 AM
mudmouse

Bikes: Trek Pilot, X-Caliber WSD, Rockhopper, Allez vita, miyata triplecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello
Long time lurker with a few post floating around here somewhere.

03 Allez Vita
11 Trek X-caliber
90-something Miyata Triplecross
95 Rockhopper - retired but still loved

Daily vitamin. Asthma/Allergy meds, but not really age related.

Since I didn't do anything like this when younger it seems like I"m faster and in better shape. Pretty sure had I rode as much back in the day I would have been faster then ... and in less pain

Since I was a kid, but as a "serious" recreational rider ... going on 10 years

Club rides, Short tours (supported). A little mtn biking when time allows

Was just a weekend warrior, but since I now work part time I can go out more during the week. Dh is still stuck with just weekends though. Weekend rides are 30-50 miles on average at a recreational pace. I've put 2,000 miles on the bike this year, but that's higher than normal for us.

52. 53 next month.
Old 11-06-12, 10:13 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
New forum member here. Just turned 55 a few days ago.

Mainly my Surly LHT for the comfort. Started with a Trek 1.2, but have only put a few hundred miles on it this year.

None at all, maybe should start. Just figured a balanced diet would do it.

I have not yet, only speeding up. As always, battling some discomfort in knee, ankle, elbow.... Was diagnosed with a femur crack this past spring and they may advise microfracture surgery. But not at all convinced that surgery would be a good thing.

Biked a little as a kid, teenager and years ago when the kids were beginning cycle age. But only serious about it the last two years.

About half my miles are local exercise rides. The other half are state rides(BRAN) and my September tour. This year I did a 1000+ mile ride to the Black Hills and back. Last year it was a 500 miler to Breckenridge. Next year the plan is to do a 1500 miler

Depending on work schedule, 1-6 times/week Last year (2012) my mileage was 2600. So far this year, I'm at 3700 miles.
Old 11-06-12, 11:27 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome gif4445 Enjoy the forum. Nice increase in mileage.
Old 11-10-12, 11:11 AM
eay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just turned 50.
I ride a recumbent trike, tadpole. HP Velotechnik Scorpion, full suspension, folding. I've had it since September 2011.
I take a multivitamin and calcium supplement.
I'm more active now than when I turned 40.
Biked until I was in my early 20s, stopped for no good reason. Got a Trek hybrid in my early 40s, gave it up as totally awfully uncomfortable, got my shoulder repaired, now stylin' on my bent.
I ride for fun, sometimes for errands. I've done one tour, an overnight. It was fun and I'm trying to figure out how/where to do it again. Here's my tour video and probably the best and most terrifying introduction to me.
I ride about three times a week. I have no idea of my annual mileage. My usual rides are 10 - 20 miles long.
I lead rides for a local casual bike group ('normal' bikes) a couple of times a month. I've ridden one metric century, Foxy's last year. Sometimes I get out to the monthly 30mile ride that the local recumbent group does, but I've been concentrating on riding with my husband on his new trike, getting his mileage up and strength and so on. He's verging on faster than me since I'm excessively cautious on down hills and corners. I keep forgetting "rubber side down".
I don't post very often since I have little to say.

liz
Old 11-10-12, 11:45 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by eay
I don't post very often since I have little to say.
That doesn't stop most of us!

Welcome to 50+, best group here (though C&V is danged good too, discussing C&V bikes for us C&V riders).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.