Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Upgraded Nor'Wester Tours 10spd STI Gearing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 06:19 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I built up my new Co-Motion Nor'Wester tour I went with the Ultegra Triple cranks and STI shifters in 10spd but this limited me to a 11-28 gearing in the rear. I only do light touring, love STI shifters but wanted a little more low gearing, problem solved. I installed a Long Cage Shimmano LX Rear Derailuer and one of the newley released Shimmano Dyna SLX 10spd Mountain bike rear Cassetes in 11-34 (problem solved). The bike shifts great and the gearing is just what I wanted while still maintaining the Ultegra STI shifter set up. This is a Win Win for me.

I also installed a new Topeak rear rack that can accept any type rear bag but but has a channel for the Topeak line of MTX rear bags with the fold down panniers built into them with the quick release for easy removal, a great set up for light touring.

Take Care All,
Bill G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00096-20100717-1628..jpg (103.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG00091-20100717-1618..jpg (97.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-17-10, 06:25 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this -- I was shopping for a light touring bike a year ago, spent a lot of time looking at the Nor'wester, but wanted lower gearing. I have been wondering about whether they were going to change their stock spec to something like what you've done. Very interesting to see that you've tried it and that it worked so well (I ended up doing a 9-speed set-up with NOS Shimano 105 STI's and an 11-34 rear cassette, but on a different frame).
Old 07-17-10, 06:49 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweetness!
Old 07-18-10, 11:10 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a pretty sweet setup - both for light touring and for old guys like me who like to take it easy up hills even on Saturday rides!