Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight training and bike in the same day?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 02:33 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all again,

I just back from the gym (yes I know it is late) and I was thinking something. Can weight training (upper and lower body) be combined with endurance training (E2, M1, F1, etc) in the same day? Right after each other? Split (one in the morning, one at night)? Would that be overtraining for one day? Of course this all assumes that you do active recovery after the workout, recovery drink, food, etc.

I am applying for local PDs and I have no choice to work out anarobic weight training for upper body strength. I usually do 3 sets of leg presses, leg extention and leg curls when I do my weight training. I do weight training 3 times a week upper and try to only do lower body 2 times a week. Other than the power benifits I would also like to have more defined muscles in the legs... intimidation... .

What do you all think, is a short endurance run bad after weight training?

Thanks
Old 12-22-04, 03:16 AM
Crunkologist
Stegosaurus

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of your progress in bulking up, and increasing your strength, endurance training post-workout is very bad. But as long as you recover with a few hours rest, and a good bit of food heavy on protein and calories, then you're fine. Its not too much of a tradeoff then.

Might I suggest though, getting off the machines for lower body, and starting to squat and deadlift? You'll get more powerful overall this way, in addition to seeing better progress in your legs.

We debated this exhaustively some months ago. Do a search in this forum. I was in the thread alot, so use my username if you can't find it. It was one of the first threads I got into.
Old 12-22-04, 12:14 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read the posts on that. My main concern is my upper body at this point which endurance training should not hurt. For the lower body I might drop the weight training to once per week and dp most of the work on the bike in that respect. Most of the stuff I have read says no to anarobic strength training after base 1. I guess you want to build kean quick muscles in the legs and not big bulky ones...

Interval trainign I supose...

I would think that if you do endurance training first then anarobic after you may be better... any ideas?
Old 12-22-04, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yes, you can do both... but make sure you're not doing high intensity work for your cycling.

Also, from what the recent seminars have been preaching, you should do the weights BEFORE you do the cardiovascular. You will definitely compromise the amount of weight your muscles should be able to withstand if you do the cardio first, but the studies done I've read about say that the cardiovascular will not be as adversely affected as weight training if you do the weights first. A couple of seminars I attended even said weight training would be beneficial to the cardio because the lactate buildup in the muscles would be used for energy to drive the Kreb's cycle. With the excess lactate in the blood before commencing cardio, you should be able to sustain a longer endurance training session.

All this is contingent on the fact that you are NOT doing anaerobic work... your intensity would have to be low enough so that the lactate accumulation in the blood is able to be recycled through Krebs. Krebs is limited when you exercise in such a high intensity that you accumulate even more lactate in the blood.

Beyond that, I don't know if I could give much more information. You really need to coordinate your training program with someone who has knowledge of what your abilities are and can coordinate your weight training and cardiovascular routine.

Koffee

Old 12-22-04, 03:54 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to start working with a personal trainer that was recomended by some people who I ride with. I think Koffee makes alot of since, since I already do cardio and weight training the same days in the gym (crosstraining by running). I hope that when I start working with a trainer I can start working on getting a plan together that will allow for weight loss, muscle growth in upper and lower body and muscle endurance in my lower body...
Old 12-22-04, 04:01 PM

If you work with a personal trainer and you want to discuss cycling, make sure they have enough knowledge to discuss cycling. Otherwise, you may find yourself in some troubl with your training later on.

Definitely, though... I recommend a personal trainer for your strength training.

Koffee

Old 12-22-04, 04:06 PM
Crunkologist
Stegosaurus

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just remember: cardio melts muscles. Most especially if they're actively recovering from a hard workout. So you've got to juggle things a bit. If you can split it up across the day, then do. Absolutely do cardio after lifting, if you must do both in the same session. But since you're pretty dedicated and have the time... I recommend that you don't do them together.

I can't stress enough how much you need to squat and dealift heavy, for overall power and development. As in upper body too. I have no idea how that would affect your cardio periodization, though.
Old 12-22-04, 04:10 PM

It affects it. Weight training is recommended during the lower intensity cycle of your periodization program. Less by the time you get to doing focussing on higher intensity. That doesn't mean you should stop... period. It just means you should cut back. Personal trainers will know how to cut back to where you can still maintain muscle mass and not lose the gains yo've made.

Koffee

Old 12-27-04, 01:29 AM
richmyer

Bikes: Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much practical difference does all this make for the average schmuck who just wants to be a little more fit? Sometimes it's difficult to schedule everything optimally, and sometimes I just like to be spontaneous. Maybe I'm out riding my bike, and I suddenly decide to scoot home and do a bunch of squats. Am I going to either harm my body, or get significantly less benefit for my efforts. I am willing to work hard, but I won't stick with all this fitness stuff if I can't have fun and be spontaneous sometimes. What wisdom from the gurus and pundits of physical fitness?
Old 12-27-04, 08:47 AM

For the average schmuck, just make sure you're getting in enough dailly physical activity and eat right. You should be ok. But if (for instance) spontaneous to you means you lift once every 10 days, and you ride two days and take off 4, then ride two more days, you won't see very much in the results. You should try to be a little more consistent with your exercise, and always be spot on with your nutrition.

Koffee

Old 12-27-04, 12:24 PM
RedHairedScot
So say we all.

Bikes: Gary Fischer Wahoo, upgraded Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"All this is contingent on the fact that you are NOT doing anaerobic work... your intensity would have to be low enough so that the lactate accumulation in the blood is able to be recycled through Krebs."

The moral of this story is that Koffee can beat us at a bike race OR at scrabble.

Seriously, where do you find this out? I used to lift weights regularly until I dated a runner, then switched almost entirely to cardio sports. I try to keep myself well-educated about fitness but there's apparently another level of knowledge entirely. As a grad student, there's no way I can afford a personal trainer. Besides the seminars you mentioned, where do you get your info?

I'm guessing it's not from the magazines with the blonde chick and the guy with the six-pack and the headline "Better abs in 10 minutes a day".
Old 12-27-04, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by RedHairedScot
"All this is contingent on the fact that you are NOT doing anaerobic work... your intensity would have to be low enough so that the lactate accumulation in the blood is able to be recycled through Krebs."

The moral of this story is that Koffee can beat us at a bike race OR at scrabble.

Seriously, where do you find this out? I used to lift weights regularly until I dated a runner, then switched almost entirely to cardio sports. I try to keep myself well-educated about fitness but there's apparently another level of knowledge entirely. As a grad student, there's no way I can afford a personal trainer. Besides the seminars you mentioned, where do you get your info?

I'm guessing it's not from the magazines with the blonde chick and the guy with the six-pack and the headline "Better abs in 10 minutes a day".
Good god! Those magazines with the fitness tips that can be done within a certain number of reps, a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of minutes per day just make me laugh. I was standing around at one of my fitness clubs with the instructors and we picked up Shape. I said something like "great, now I can get the perfect abs for 10 minutes a day in one month!" I was being totally naive and sounding so riduculous that everyone just broke out in laughter. We didn't stop laughing for a full 15 minutes, as I went through the article and read aloud, pausing for much dramatic effect and demonstrating all those great moves. Well, I still don't have the flat abs, but I did get a great laugh!

You would really have to attend a few of the fitness conventions and go to the different seminars in the area (or out of the area in my case, since I've attended conventions worldwide). Besides that, do lots and lots of reading. Then you have to teach or just apply the knowledge so you can put it all together. Once you know how to put it all together, you can train others.

Those fitness magazines like Men's Health, Shape, Prevention, etc. just give nothing. It's like being a professional cyclist trying to glean imformation about cycling from Bicycling Magazine.

Koffee

Old 12-27-04, 07:41 PM
richmyer

Bikes: Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
For the average schmuck, just make sure you're getting in enough dailly physical activity and eat right. You should be ok. But if (for instance) spontaneous to you means you lift once every 10 days, and you ride two days and take off 4, then ride two more days, you won't see very much in the results. You should try to be a little more consistent with your exercise, and always be spot on with your nutrition.

Koffee
I really am consistent--one to two hours of physical activity daily, pretty much every day of the week. (Usually I ride 7 days a week, lift on 2 or 3, and walk or play games a couple times.) What I mean is, if I am not in training for competition, will it hurt me or hinder me to mix up aerobic and anaerobic in the same day?