Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wow! Made in Detroit

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wow! Made in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 04:50 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Made in Detroit

Very Cool from my home town!
https://shinola.com/blog#blog-content-244
Old 02-13-13, 04:57 PM
DEW21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cyclelicio.us/2012/sky-ye...nola-bicycles/
Old 02-13-13, 05:32 PM
Flying Merkel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Pardon my cynicism, but this looks like another boutique bike. Perty but expensive.
Old 02-13-13, 05:59 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Pardon my cynicism, but this looks like another boutique bike. Perty but expensive.
+1 Don't see them really making it unless they can do something about those prices.

The website is also a hot mess.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-13-13, 06:24 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riv Bikes should worry
Old 02-14-13, 08:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
First, I'm delighted in Shinola and their mission, though I do think they're milking it a little too hard with the "made in Detroit" thing. Parsing the nuances between "hand made," "hand built," "assembled by hand," and "made in" is one thing-- and I will say that for a traditional manufacturing town like Detroit, if you say "made in Detroit" about a hard good, you're saying manufactured; stamped, welded, forged, machined, painted, and polished, none of which applies to the Shinola bikes-- and another is pushing this populist notion when the products are out of reach of 99% of the population of Detroit.

I get that there needs to be a top tier, and I think the Runwell looks the part, but couldn't they ease off the "made in Detroit" message a bit? I mean, I just had a Taiwan made frame built up in L.A., but that doesn't make the bike "built in Los Angeles," and the shop that built it doesn't claim to make bikes, either. Shinola doesn't even build the wheels. Now, I don't think Shinola are trying to hoodwink us, but their pitch feels a little smarmy.

Even the claim that Detroit is the "new watchmaking capitol of America" feels disingenuous and ahead of things. The watch is not yet available, and what they call "their movement" appears to be just assembly of a Swiss quartz design, but yet we have in Pennsylvania both RGM and Kobold watch companies, who not only design and manufacture their own mechanical movements, but also make their own cases, true feats of watchmaking. When Shinola claims Detroit is the watchmaking capitol, it smacks of arrogance, and implicitly ignores what any watch buff would say are the more impressive achievements of RGM and Kobold. After the headlining, watchmaking capitol claim, they try to qualify by saying mass-produced watches, but again, jeez, let's actually see some production first, right?

I dunno...maybe I'm being too hard on Shinola, who really are engaged in Detroit in an important and meaningful way, and are not just an address in an office building in the 'burbs, but on the other hand, if Detroit has anything, it's authenticity, and I think Shinola would do well to express more of that themselves, rather than selling so much of the image.

I'm definitely pro-Detroit resurgence, though, and will try to buy what I can from Shinola, while hoping their efforts to stimulate Detroit's recovery while also making money, really pays off in every sense, and leads the way to truly cool things, both literally and figuratively.
Old 02-14-13, 08:21 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
The website is also a hot mess.
Yeah, like it was thrown together in 5 minutes by a developer with ADD.

Also, considering what Shinola is most frequently compared to, that's kind of a crap brand name.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-14-13, 08:49 AM
DEW21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I thought about titling this thread "s**t from shinola" but opted against that. Should have been "Assembled in Detroit".
Old 02-14-13, 10:16 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my first thought was shoe polish, too. whatever possessed them to use that name and it's unfortunate comparison?
guess i'm old. dunno whether the shoe polish is even made anymore. i've always used kiwi.
Old 02-14-13, 03:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled for a "made in Detroit" Pino Moroni: https://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...oroni_main.htm
Old 03-20-13, 12:10 PM
ShinolaBrian
Shinola Community Mgr

Bikes: Shinola Bixby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
First, I'm delighted in Shinola and their mission, though I do think they're milking it a little too hard with the "made in Detroit" thing. Parsing the nuances between "hand made," "hand built," "assembled by hand," and "made in" is one thing-- and I will say that for a traditional manufacturing town like Detroit, if you say "made in Detroit" about a hard good, you're saying manufactured; stamped, welded, forged, machined, painted, and polished, none of which applies to the Shinola bikes-- and another is pushing this populist notion when the products are out of reach of 99% of the population of Detroit.

I get that there needs to be a top tier, and I think the Runwell looks the part, but couldn't they ease off the "made in Detroit" message a bit? I mean, I just had a Taiwan made frame built up in L.A., but that doesn't make the bike "built in Los Angeles," and the shop that built it doesn't claim to make bikes, either. Shinola doesn't even build the wheels. Now, I don't think Shinola are trying to hoodwink us, but their pitch feels a little smarmy.

Even the claim that Detroit is the "new watchmaking capitol of America" feels disingenuous and ahead of things. The watch is not yet available, and what they call "their movement" appears to be just assembly of a Swiss quartz design, but yet we have in Pennsylvania both RGM and Kobold watch companies, who not only design and manufacture their own mechanical movements, but also make their own cases, true feats of watchmaking. When Shinola claims Detroit is the watchmaking capitol, it smacks of arrogance, and implicitly ignores what any watch buff would say are the more impressive achievements of RGM and Kobold. After the headlining, watchmaking capitol claim, they try to qualify by saying mass-produced watches, but again, jeez, let's actually see some production first, right?

I dunno...maybe I'm being too hard on Shinola, who really are engaged in Detroit in an important and meaningful way, and are not just an address in an office building in the 'burbs, but on the other hand, if Detroit has anything, it's authenticity, and I think Shinola would do well to express more of that themselves, rather than selling so much of the image.

I'm definitely pro-Detroit resurgence, though, and will try to buy what I can from Shinola, while hoping their efforts to stimulate Detroit's recovery while also making money, really pays off in every sense, and leads the way to truly cool things, both literally and figuratively.
Hello everyone. My name is Brian. I am the community manager for Shinola, and a lifetime Detroiter. I'd like to thank you, first of all, for the well-reasoned and thoughtful post about our products, and the conversation here. It shows us that people are interested, and we're happy to address any concerns anybody has about our bicycles. We want to be as open and honest as possible about everything we make and where our components come from.

I'd like to clarify our "Made in Detroit" stance; we're doing more than just assembling products here. We have invested significantly in a factory and shop where we are building watches and bicycles from as many American parts as we possibly can. Not only are we investing in manufacturing infrastructure, we're training and re-training skilled American craftspeople. It's hard to tell that story in a few words, but we are proudly Made in Detroit.

If any of you are local, I would love to invite you up to our shop and factory for a tour so you can see first-hand what we've built here.

Also, since this post was made last month, we actually have released and completely sold out of our limited edition watch, "The Runwell". We are ramping up production significantly in the next few months and as of now, are the only company in the United States manufacturing American watches at production scale. I'm not trying to defend our "Watchmaking Capital of America" too hard, here, but those are the facts. We feel that the story is far more involved than merely "quartz watches assembled in America", again because of our significant investment into a manufacturing ecosystem that we hope to foster here in the Motor City.

Shinola is employing Detroiters, putting people with skills back to work in an industry that has a great deal of growth potential. We hope that if people consider our products, they consider the whole story, not just the individual parts.

Thanks again for the kind words of support. We really, really appreciate it!

PS: I'm a long-time forums guy, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better. Also, we definitely fixed our website. The last one wasn't so great, it's true. Thanks!
Old 03-20-13, 03:53 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I know that word, but what's shinola?" -Lisa Simpson

[Over-priced throw-backs from the 60's!]
Old 03-20-13, 05:10 PM
tpolley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://shop.americancyclery.com/prod...hinola-runwell

$3,500. God d*mn!

i don't think both my expedition and camry are worth that combined.
Old 03-20-13, 05:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by ShinolaBrian
Hello everyone. My name is Brian. I am the community manager for Shinola, and a lifetime Detroiter. I'd like to thank you, first of all, for the well-reasoned and thoughtful post about our products, and the conversation here. It shows us that people are interested, and we're happy to address any concerns anybody has about our bicycles. We want to be as open and honest as possible about everything we make and where our components come from.

I'd like to clarify our "Made in Detroit" stance; we're doing more than just assembling products here. We have invested significantly in a factory and shop where we are building watches and bicycles from as many American parts as we possibly can. Not only are we investing in manufacturing infrastructure, we're training and re-training skilled American craftspeople. It's hard to tell that story in a few words, but we are proudly Made in Detroit.

If any of you are local, I would love to invite you up to our shop and factory for a tour so you can see first-hand what we've built here.

Also, since this post was made last month, we actually have released and completely sold out of our limited edition watch, "The Runwell". We are ramping up production significantly in the next few months and as of now, are the only company in the United States manufacturing American watches at production scale. I'm not trying to defend our "Watchmaking Capital of America" too hard, here, but those are the facts. We feel that the story is far more involved than merely "quartz watches assembled in America", again because of our significant investment into a manufacturing ecosystem that we hope to foster here in the Motor City.

Shinola is employing Detroiters, putting people with skills back to work in an industry that has a great deal of growth potential. We hope that if people consider our products, they consider the whole story, not just the individual parts.

Thanks again for the kind words of support. We really, really appreciate it!

PS: I'm a long-time forums guy, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better. Also, we definitely fixed our website. The last one wasn't so great, it's true. Thanks!
ShiBri (),

I'm definitely interested to take you up on the tour offer; I was bummed I missed Drinks x Design!

I'm both a bike and watch guy, so I'd get a real kick out of visiting, and it would probably help me get 'on board' with the brand a little more, although as I said, I'm definitely delighted with the Shinola mission-- taking advantage of local resources like the CCS is awesome-- and am pro-Detroit resurgence; my criticism was more on the marketing side of things, I guess.

Anyway, I'm downtown every week-- I've got a wine importing company-- and could make time to stop by Shinola just about anytime. You can contact me using my username here AT sbcglobal, which is a .net domain.

Thanks for the reply here, too.
Old 03-21-13, 09:02 AM
ShinolaBrian
Shinola Community Mgr

Bikes: Shinola Bixby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
ShiBri (),

I'm definitely interested to take you up on the tour offer; I was bummed I missed Drinks x Design!

I'm both a bike and watch guy, so I'd get a real kick out of visiting, and it would probably help me get 'on board' with the brand a little more, although as I said, I'm definitely delighted with the Shinola mission-- taking advantage of local resources like the CCS is awesome-- and am pro-Detroit resurgence; my criticism was more on the marketing side of things, I guess.

Anyway, I'm downtown every week-- I've got a wine importing company-- and could make time to stop by Shinola just about anytime. You can contact me using my username here AT sbcglobal, which is a .net domain.

Thanks for the reply here, too.
Oh no. ShiBri That one's gonna stick.

I'll get you connected with our office manager who will coordinate with you for a tour. Generally, due to building security protocols, we bring people up on Fridays (we share a building with CCS, so there are students, etc.) so it will probably be on a Friday if that works for you. Looking forward to meeting with you!
Old 03-21-13, 10:56 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When someone claims to "make" a bike, I read that as making the frame. The frame is the unique part, and all the other commodity stuff just bolts to it. In this case the distinction doesn't matter to me, since I'm not one of their target customers. They do look nice, though.
Old 03-23-13, 05:27 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tpolley
https://shop.americancyclery.com/prod...hinola-runwell

$3,500. God d*mn!

i don't think both my expedition and camry are worth that combined.
Note that the frame is made by Waterford...
Old 03-23-13, 06:52 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I know the bikes are very expensive but it's nice to see this youth movement trying to bring back Detroit. There is nothing in this county as big and destroyed as Detroit. I hope they succeed.
Old 03-25-13, 03:06 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by THE ARS
Yeah, but bars, stem, post, brakes, crank, BB, headset, hubs, spokes are all available from US makers and they couldn't be bothered.
What companies would those be? I'm betting that they manufacture in Asia which would mean that you have no argument.
Old 03-25-13, 04:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
What companies would those be? I'm betting that they manufacture in Asia which would mean that you have no argument.
There are American component manufacturers, e.g. Phil Wood, Wheelsmith, etc.
Old 03-25-13, 04:35 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
There are American component manufacturers, e.g. Phil Wood, Wheelsmith, etc.
I know, but 3 things:

1. Their prices are not cheap
2. They are not high volume companies
3. The comment was essentially about ALL bike parts with the exception of the frame to complete the build. I think that would be a major stretch.
Old 03-26-13, 08:04 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
There's not doubt in my mind that Waterford gave them the retail price of the bicycle. What Waterford didn't tell them was they were only going to sell 2 or 3 of them a year.
Old 03-26-13, 08:23 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Makes no sense. How would Waterford know what Shinola was paying for components, transportation, labor, etc? And yes, they will sell more than 2 or 3.
Old 03-26-13, 09:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW, web surfing, I noted: Slingshot is still making bikes in Grand Rapids..
Old 03-26-13, 09:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
FWIW, web surfing, I noted: Slingshot is still making bikes in Grand Rapids..
Actually, I was at Detroit Bike City Expo last weekend, rode a new Slingshot boom tube, and talked to the guy, who said they've begun moving production to Detroit.

616 Fab is holding it down in GR, though! https://616fab.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.