Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Strategic light placement to encourage safer passing?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-09-15, 12:48 PM
Buzzatronic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping to move into a new house this year and it will likely mean my commute changes from being 65% on a MUP to 95% on roads, some of which have a limited or no shoulder.

I'm considering ways I can light my bike to try and encourage safer passes from drivers. My first test will be to mount a tail light on my left side drop which extends out a few inches. My hope is that instead of focusing on my centered rear tail light when making the decision on how close to pass, drivers will instead use the left-most light and hopefully give me 3' of space from my shoulders rather than 3' of space from my seatpost (which turns out to be less than 2' from my actual body).

Here's what I have setup:

Has anyone had success with this sort of setup? Is there a better approach I should be trying instead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7180.jpg (60.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-09-15, 01:02 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's not something I tried or am likely to in the foreseeable future, but it seems like a good idea to me. IDK what you used to extend the light to the left, but ideally it would be flimsy enough not to cause you to crash if it brushes or gets brushed by something. Making yourself appear bigger and more prominent by wearing conspicuous colors during the day and reflective apparel at night is also a good idea.
Old 04-09-15, 04:28 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My son-in-law suggested that I use a flasher that moves left as a way of encouraging motorists to move that way and give us a little more room. He thinks it makes a difference and I think I have seen a little difference as well. I also keep a light on my left chain stay. I figure that few people really want to hit me. They just need a lot of help to figure out how to not hit me.
Old 04-09-15, 07:35 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
How about a bicycle flag placed horizontally to the left?
Old 04-09-15, 08:17 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
I'm hoping to move into a new house this year and it will likely mean my commute changes from being 65% on a MUP to 95% on roads, some of which have a limited or no shoulder.

I'm considering ways I can light my bike to try and encourage safer passes from drivers. My first test will be to mount a tail light on my left side drop which extends out a few inches. My hope is that instead of focusing on my centered rear tail light when making the decision on how close to pass, drivers will instead use the left-most light and hopefully give me 3' of space from my shoulders rather than 3' of space from my seatpost (which turns out to be less than 2' from my actual body).

Here's what I have setup:

Has anyone had success with this sort of setup? Is there a better approach I should be trying instead?
I have never done that. Instead of 'hoping' that the motorists' will give you three feet of clearance, when they pass. Use the three feet as a buffer zone, and 'take the lane'.
Old 04-10-15, 12:38 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go with a light that is so bright that it eliminates the possibility of target fixation. Dinotte sells such lights.
Old 04-10-15, 07:33 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Wave 'em through. Lights are nice but you need to participate and show you're there anyway.

PS People are trained to follow lights.
Old 04-13-15, 10:50 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I have a large blinky on the seatpost AND a smaller but very bright and faster blinking light on the left chainstay. Light are not going to dictate how closely people pass (not a force field) but they do make you more visible and most reasonable people driving get a better sense of your width when there are two lights.
Old 04-18-15, 07:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
A rack with paperboy baskets full of stuff and the rubber ends of busted pedals with the reflectors, or actual saddlebags doesn't hurt either...I keep to side roads and the less travelled main roads when it's darker. That sidewalk through town helps in that way actually.
Old 04-18-15, 09:37 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Wave 'em through. Lights are nice but you need to participate and show you're there anyway.

PS People are trained to follow lights.
+1

Not sure what you mean by 'wave em through'. But, The rest of what you said, I agree with.
Old 04-19-15, 08:55 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't think it matters much where you install the light as long as it is bright and visible at distance.

But after my experience this past week I can tell you what not to do.
-Don't put the light on your seat post. The other night while driving I saw more than one bike that I thought did not have any rear facing lights. In fact they were on the seat post and were partially blocked.
-Make sure the light is BRIGHT. Motor vehicle lights are bright. Drivers are used to seeing bright lights. Help the driver see you by making your lights bright.
-Consider multiple lights fore and aft.
-Did I say BRIGHT? Maybe two fore and two more aft split between steady and flashing.

Whatever your setup test it in the environment you will be riding. Modern motor vehicle lights are much brighter and bigger than those of even a few years ago for a reason.