Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any good bicycle mirrors?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 12:37 AM
yayforebikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody know a really good mirror for my bicycle? I currently have a mirror that attaches to the helmet but A) it looks really dorky. B) it puts a little too much pressure to make it uncomfortable to put on my helmet. C) it's hard to see because when I look at the mirror I see double vision.
Old 10-28-15, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A) Get over the image thing . EVT | Safe Zone Mirror or there are handlebar mirrors.

Or just learn to look behind you , by stopping. ride a straight predictable line.. & worry less.
Old 10-28-15, 10:25 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by yayforebikes
Anybody know a really good mirror for my bicycle? I currently have a mirror that attaches to the helmet but A) it looks really dorky. B) it puts a little too much pressure to make it uncomfortable to put on my helmet. C) it's hard to see because when I look at the mirror I see double vision.
Hi Yay,
There are many handlebar mirrors available as mentioned above. After barely avoiding a few collisions with cars, I realized that I "needed: a mirror. The kind of handlebar mirror that fits in the end of the grip is no good for me as my bike has Trek's Isozone handlebar that will not easily, if at all, accomodate this type of mirror. So I went to my LBS and ended up with a Sunlite mirror:
Sunlite- Products

The clamp is kind of chintzy, so the LBS put on a better clamp. Here is a picture of the mirror on the bike:

Some may think this is kind of "dorky", but I love it. I feel so much safer with it. Plus it is a flat mirror, not convex, so the images are real, not shrunken like a passenger side car mirror.

Regardless of which mirror you choose, having one is much, much better than not!
Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mirror Turned 90-1.jpg (99.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 10-28-15, 10:28 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bingo. Just look over your shoulder.
Old 10-28-15, 10:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Ortlieb makes a good one:

Amazon.com : Ortlieb Ultra Light Bike Mirror Black : Sports & Outdoors
Old 10-28-15, 10:46 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Cateye Racing model. Attaches to handle bar end. It's a classic that's been around for ever. Use it on all my bikes. Five stars!
Old 10-28-15, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I use the Third Eye mirror with the clamp for helmet visors but instead of clamping on to the visor, I make a small fiberglass piece that attaches to the helmet securely with two small screw then mount the mirror on the fiberglass. Much, much more secure and places the mirror perfectly at the upper corner of my glasses.

An aside - I wish the helmet manufacturers and mirror manufacturers got together and created a standard whereby any helmet could mount the same mirror with a couple of small screws. THen other mirror makers could make their own to fit that mount. All helmets could then take mirrors. All mirror makers could get in on the action. And we riders would have much better choices; mirrors that worked really well, didn't fall off, easy on and off, no vibration and a nice clean looking mount. What's not to like? What I have been using for years works so well that I have to ask why others aren't doing it. Well others aren't doing it because at the prototype level it takes fiberglassing skills not everyone has. But as a production item? It would cost 50 cents to make. I am not a marketing whiz and this would be a very poor use of my time and energy (and probably money) so I'll not take this on. But it is a no-brainer that it would make cycling better for a lot of people it it existed and was universally available.

Ben
Old 10-28-15, 11:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
For those advocating "just look over your shoulder" - that 's advocating riding with less information. The over the should look takes far longer. That is time when you are not seeing anything in front of you. Might work fine for years. Might work fine on the open road, but when there is a lot of traffic, esp a vehicle right next to you, that advice can be suspect.

A real world example. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding an open road, beautiful day, good pavement edge but with a couple inch drop into dirt/gravel. No traffic. A farm truck approached from behind pulling as trailer. I thought nothing of it as I was wearing very bight colors and the lighting was perfect for me to be seen. The truck passed me very close, like less than two feet. The truck kept getting closer. I knew he had a trailer so I checked my mirror while he was beside me. And saw this was going to be VERY close, like inches. I pulled over to 4" off the pavement edge and observed that flatbed missing my hip by that same 4". The truck pulled into the next farm. I pulled up and got ordered to leave the farm property as I was trespassing. (It was quite ovbvious the what had just happened was no accident.) I called the incident in to the sheriff's non-emergency number. That farmer got a visit an hour later.

If I was still an "over-the-shoulder" guy I suspect the outcome might have been a little different. It was that look while the truck was very close that prompted me to hug the pavement edge. Getting that flatbed corner in my buttock would have hurt a bunch is my guess and the sheriff would have been hearing the farmer's story before mine. (Or maybe he would have just kept going. There were no witnesses.)

Ben
Old 10-28-15, 11:46 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use 2 of the smaller round Sunlite mirrors (I use butterfly bars, so I have the room - the left is set for upright riding and the right for when I'm on the front of the bars.)
Old 10-28-15, 11:50 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A) Get over the image thing . EVT | Safe Zone Mirror
I'll check this out. I have a Hub Bub mirror on my helmet at the moment, but the Safe Zone looks more easily adjustable.
Old 10-28-15, 11:52 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody know a really good mirror for my bicycle? I currently have a mirror that attaches to the helmet but A) it looks really dorky.
Some people think wearing a helmet alone makes you look like a dork. You can't win the Dork War. Just ride and be happy.
Old 10-28-15, 01:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Been using a Mirrycle for about a month. Fine for me and my comfy bike with upright bars. But it's very high profile and I need to fold it in to get through doors and narrow halls. And I remove it whenever I need to flip the bike to repair flats or other maintenance. Easily done - a single bolt - and easily reattached and adjusted.

When I drape my forearms across the bars for steep uphill climbs or into headwinds I need to adjust the mirror a bit to see. Usually I do this only in rural areas where there's a wide shoulder and little or no traffic, never in regular town/city traffic. I always sit bolt upright in traffic to be sure I'm visible.

No way I could go back to looking over my shoulder - permanently damaged C2 precludes that.

Only drawback is I can't quite see to my right, so I may add a smaller profile mirror to the right side. Occasionally I encounter intersections with traffic merges from the right.
Old 10-28-15, 03:17 PM
ksdog

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a combination of ortlieb ultra light bike mirror plus EVT safezone helmet mirror works good for me.
Old 10-28-15, 04:24 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have several different bar end mirrors. My current favorite is the Blackburn Multi Mirror
Blackburn Multi Mirror
I was using a Mirrycle that mounted to the top of my brake lever and I really liked it but I kept breaking it by bumping against walls and things. It was easier to change mirror styles than to pay more attention to where I lean my bike.
I can't get my head around far enough to see much behind me so I depend on my mirror. We all have to do the best we can to deal with what's behind us.
Old 10-28-15, 04:51 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Although I really like the Ortlieb mirror's huge field of view, I've broken three of them. They last a couple months for me, tops.

I've had much better luck with the Busch & Muller mirrors. They have more metal parts that hold up to bumps and crashes better. You can get them from Peter White, or I order them from zee Germans.

The B&M 901 models have a 2" mirror
the 903 models have a huge 3" mirror
the /2 variants come only with a bar-end plug, where all the other variants come with the bar end plug as well as hose-clamp style mounts.
Old 10-28-15, 04:57 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
A bit of a pain to align correctly but once done they are excellent.

The Italian Road Bike Mirror (IRBM) - www.AVT.Bike
Old 10-28-15, 05:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For those advocating "just look over your shoulder" - that 's advocating riding with less information. The over the should look takes far longer. That is time when you are not seeing anything in front of you. Might work fine for years. Might work fine on the open road, but when there is a lot of traffic, esp a vehicle right next to you, that advice can be suspect….
When I saw this thread, as a staunch mirror advocate, I was going to refrain from posting to this thread because everybody has an opinion about their mirrors. But I’m glad you wrote this reply to the naysayers. They are akin to the anti-helmet crowd. Why deter someone from perhaps a useless practice, though intuititively a safe one? As you note, it may be environmentally relative; I cite my experiences in heavy urban traffic, and going fast downhill on poor pavement with upcoming traffic.

Last year I wrote a post (with no reply) as to what are the real downsides sides of a rearview mirror? I came up with:
  • You might poke your eye out, with an eyeglass or helmet mirror

• You might spend too much time trying to use the mirror, distracting you from the road

• Maybe you’ll have a blind spot with an eyeglass or helmet mirror

• dorkiness, though non-cyclists who have seen my two eyeglass mounted mirrors have exclaimed “cool.”
Those are the detriments I can recall; there may have been one more. So in deciding to use a mirror, those are the factors against, IMO.
Old 10-28-15, 05:42 PM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
God ****'t it up... He should have given us cyclists a brown eye in the rear
Old 10-28-15, 05:48 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I was using a POS bar end mirrow from eBay and it was much better than no mirror. I later bought a helmet mount and have no problems with it at all.

What kind of bike/bars are riding?
Old 10-28-15, 06:35 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I cite my experiences in heavy urban traffic, and going fast downhill on poor pavement with upcoming traffic.
Yep, this is why I'd rather have a mirror than not, even though I also look over my shoulder for final confirmation before a lane change.
Old 10-28-15, 08:21 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Been using a Mirrycle for about a month.
Is there a version of this mirror that attaches to North Road-style bars?
Old 10-28-15, 08:22 PM
pataspen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Third Eye that mounts on sunglasses. Adjusts easily and I find it simple to use. The only drawback is that the attachment tends to break. So I tape it to the temple of my sunglasses. That has worked like a charm for multiple long tours.

I feel the mirror is possibly my most indispensible piece of equipment. It has saved my butt a few times when cars were approaching too closely. A helmet may have helped protect my head if a car hit me, but the mirror prevented me from gettting run over in the first place. If I had to choose between using a helmet and a mirror, I'd opt for the mirror.

Mostly, I like it because I can see what's happening behind me. I can tell if a car going is going to give me 6 feet of space or 6 inches and I can ride accordingly. I can see the car's blinkers and know if he is going to pass or turn. I can tell if I need to ride on the last 2" of pavement or if I can ride out in the road a little bit. And I actually once foiled a thieve in Buenos Aires who was tryng to grab something off the back of my bike at a stoplight.

The biggest problem is that at the begining of winter I instinctively look for the mirror while skiing.
Old 10-29-15, 12:21 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I use a beer view mirror clipped to my sunglasses.

Beer View Mirror
Old 10-29-15, 01:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
Is there a version of this mirror that attaches to North Road-style bars?
Dunno, I've only seen the Mirrycle on flat and upright type bars. Those North Road bars are good looking. Maybe a bar-end type made for drop bars - CycleAware or Sprintech? Although depending on the bike and tape wrap style a chrome mirror might look sharper. Bound to be something suitable out there.
Old 10-30-15, 09:46 AM
Mr Grinch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
A bit of a pain to align correctly but once done they are excellent.

The Italian Road Bike Mirror (IRBM) - www.AVT.Bike
Have these on four bikes. Won't ride without one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.