Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Disk brake on a track frame?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-18-16, 04:39 PM
Co1Ev

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is more food for thought really and not something I'm particularly looking to do anytime soon, but it'd be pretty handy to have that more efficient stopping power to combat rain-soaked roads. Has anyone seen/heard of/actually done this before? Just to clarify, I'm talking about just the front brake ('cause no c00l kids ride fixies with a rear brake). I'm assuming it'd just be a case of swapping out whatever fork that's being used with a disk compatible fork, but then again I know absolutely nothing about disk/hydraulic/etc brakes.
Old 01-18-16, 04:47 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 9 Posts
Fixed gear or single speed?

On a fixed gear, it would be way overkill. Even when I do have a front brake I can go weeks without even touching it since planning ahead/slight back pressure is enough to stop yourself in a hurry in 99% of the cases. A good dual pivot front brake with decent pads is PLENTY stopping power for a fixed gear.

I live in Seattle and did a 30 mile ride on rain soaked roads on Saturday...never once felt the need to touch my brake lever.
Old 01-18-16, 04:55 PM
Co1Ev

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
Fixed gear or single speed?

On a fixed gear, it would be way overkill. Even when I do have a front brake I can go weeks without even touching it since planning ahead/slight back pressure is enough to stop yourself in a hurry in 99% of the cases. A good dual pivot front brake with decent pads is PLENTY stopping power for a fixed gear.

I live in Seattle and did a 30 mile ride on rain soaked roads on Saturday...never once felt the need to touch my brake lever.
Fixed gear. I'm running a 105 front brake and sometimes find it lacking in stopping power, particularly from having to clear all the crap off the rim first before any braking to really take effect. My main thought behind it is that I'm working as a messenger and after 5+ hours in the saddle a couple days a week your legs get pretty tired. It may be extra reassurance where it's not particularly necessary, but like I said, it's something I'm not seriously considering right now, more just juggling with the thought in my head.
Old 01-18-16, 05:07 PM
Huffandstuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know someone with a fixed gear/front disc, He likes it.
Old 01-18-16, 08:24 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
No reason you couldn't do it, as long as you have a disc fork/wheel.
Old 01-18-16, 11:17 PM
street_sweeper

Bikes: ones with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can run the nature boy disk fixed cant you? or just get another cx fork and front wheel.
Old 01-19-16, 11:07 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Amaro Lollobrigida - Pedal Room

Old 01-19-16, 12:16 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Sticking a disk fork on the front of your bike may mess with the geometry and handling to some degree... which you may, or more likely may not notice. When considering disk forks, get one as close to crown to axle and offset measurements for the original fork as possible.
Old 01-19-16, 01:40 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Likes For johnnytheboy:
Old 01-19-16, 02:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Go for it, no real issues if you have a disc fork and it is relatively similar to your old fork or you don't mind a slight change in geometry. Though to save some cash you might try using much nicer pads on your current brake and see how that works. Swissstop or Dura Ace pads are a good way to go just make sure you get the right ones for your rims (ceramic pads are for crabon rims) Also sometimes a better brake lever could help. Some of those levers geared towards fixed gear bicycles are really just designed to look cool but not provide enough lever to really stop properly.