Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

$300 Bike Choice?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

$300 Bike Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 02:56 PM
cyprusx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$300 Bike Choice?

Hey im about to get into riding for fitness, nothing serious. Its very overwhelming i know nothing about bike parts.

im looking at 3 bikes which one is better? I would like to do some basic off road and on road, im also 6"2 . The bike from Anaconda is half price

Pedal Patriot Black

or

https://www.anacondastores.com/cycli...e/p/BP90071631
or

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-mtb-pro.html

But allot of people are telling me to buy a second hand bike instead from here, if you guys seen anything good ones?

mountain bike in Coorparoo 4151, QLD | Bicycles | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds | Page 12

Last edited by cyprusx; 09-01-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 03:15 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd go to a bike shop.

Old 09-01-16, 03:59 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Go to a bike shop. Figure out what you like best and get ideas. If you do not like their selection, or prices too high, look at used.

The hardest part is that you are 6'2" (as am I), so you have to look for a ~21" frame and pass on the smaller frames, despite how good of a deal they are.
Old 09-01-16, 04:08 PM
cyprusx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you guys recommend new bikes even tho I could get a 2nd hand bike with better parts?

Yes im tall so does that mean a 19 or 20 in is too small?

thanks!
Old 09-01-16, 04:14 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you don't know bike parts, how are you sure you're getting better parts?

Buying used is a great option if you know what to look for and know what you're getting. As a beginner who isn't sure what size they need and don't know exactly what they're looking for, I'd recommend a shop to them over buying online or used.

At a shop you can ride the bike, try different sizes, see whats right. If you don't like a certain setup, you can try something else. It might cost you a bit more, but in the long run, you'll probably be happier with your purchase overall, and if anything goes wrong, you can take it back to the shop and ask for help.

Old 09-01-16, 04:30 PM
cyprusx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess thats why im on here to get help from you guys on choosing a bike.

I understand about frame and wheel sizes its just all the other stuff.

What bike is the best one from those 3 please?

I cant go to a bike store and ask him to tell me about other bikes from other stores, he'll be biased
Old 09-02-16, 07:14 PM
cyprusx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so you think a new bike "on sale" could be better than a 2nd hand.

In regards to new bikes, these 2 bikes are on sale. Which one is better

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/x-trail-29er.html

or

https://www.anacondastores.com/cycli...e/p/BP90067183
Old 09-02-16, 07:33 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
At your price range, used would usually be the way to go. Occasionally you can get an amazing deal on a mail order bike. None of those are in that category. Big Box stores have bikes like this. There you can at least look at the bike itself.

Spend a little time on component parts and where they fit into the manufacturer's line up to get an idea. Read reviews on the forks to see what's inexpensive and what's just cheap.

You'll learn
Old 09-04-16, 02:26 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How much offroad do you plan on doing and how rough are the trails. You could probably get a lot more of a bike without the suspension fork.

Old 09-05-16, 02:25 PM
cyprusx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you think is better from these

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/po...-mountain-bike

or

https://www.anacondastores.com/cycli...e/p/BP90067183

Ill be on roads/paths 90 percent of the time with an occasional offraod basic trail , so i did want larger wheels for more top speed and comfort im also 6 2
Old 09-06-16, 05:59 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am skeptical about buying online mail order as it is hard to tell just what you will get,, That being said, can you buy from BikesDirect. We actually have a BikesDirect store near us, and could look at the bikes in person and try them. We got my son, who is 6'1" a large motobecane 529HT, fits him well. And is a great bike for the price. 29er Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 529HT
Old 09-07-16, 12:08 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Save more money. The experience you will get from any of those three bikes will be disheartening.

$600-800 is a much better price range to get into. Newbies really need the help you get from a bike shop.
Old 09-07-16, 12:29 PM
CosmicF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey im about to get into riding for fitness, nothing serious.
Absolutely ANY bike will fit this bill. Go to Walmart, and save yourself half of what you'll get for twice the money.
Of course the tech-heads will say, hey, a bike shop bike will be tighter. And, they will be correct. But, you are just getting into this. You want to have fun, and get in shape, and as soon as you've worn this one into the ground, you will know exactly what you really want. ANY bike can fit this bill, so avoid spending the whole $300, and get one for $125 at a department store, and that'll give you some left over for a helmet, some pads, and a cheap rack to put on your car to take your bike to some cool new places.

When, you and your bank account are in better shape, then go to a bike shop and know what to ask for.
Old 09-07-16, 12:43 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have to disagree with go to WalMart, Big box store quality, some are OK, some are really poor. But their bikes are almost all medium size frames for average 5'9" riders, and will probably not fit someone 6'2".

If it doesn't fit, it won't be comfortable or fun to ride. If it is not fun, you won't ride and it becomes a waste of money.
Old 09-07-16, 12:46 PM
CosmicF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is more funny than a guy on a Huffy catching air on a cool mountain trail, is a newbie on a $1200 bike that can't bunny hop a log across the trail.
Old 09-07-16, 12:47 PM
CosmicF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cool thing about WalMart, and I am not a typical WalMart shopper, but at least you can set on them, and even ride them a tad around the toy aisle.

Just my $0.02, it's you're money.

Last edited by CosmicF; 09-07-16 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 09-07-16, 03:03 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CosmicF
What is more funny than a guy on a Huffy catching air on a cool mountain trail, is a newbie on a $1200 bike that can't bunny hop a log across the trail.
I see tons of of newbies on $1200 mountain bikes because $1200 is a good introductory price for a proper mountain bike.

Old 09-07-16, 03:29 PM
CosmicF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Huffy for years during and after college. I'm 6'2". Yes, my friends all had much better bikes than me. But, for me it was either a cheap bike or nothing. Sure, I was dropped on long trail rides in the State Parks, but eventually, I was getting air, bunny hopping rocks and roots, and keeping up with the big boys. Then, when I had disposable income years latter, (18 years ago) I bought my first Specialized HardRock. It is a world of difference, yes, yes, yes. But the OP just wants to have something for fun and fitness. If I had of dumped a $1000 into a new bike in college, I would have probably struggled more back then, or hocked it to get back into the black financially.
Two wheels, a seat, a chain, some good sprockets... it got me some skills. And, I greatly appreciated my bike shop bike years latter.

It's not fair IMO to suggest that the only way to get into riding the trails is by dropping big bucks. Jeesh, I hate Walmart. But, the guy wants to ride. And, he doesn't have the income yet. What's wrong with suggesting something that will get him rolling?

anyways, he is here, reading up on the issues. He'll probably make the decisions he wants to make. Ha ha, it's ironic to me, that a small business owner would even concider suggesting WalMart, ha ha. But, I was in those poor man shoes once too. And, one day, you'll have a garage of parts, bikes, and gear also.

Just ride, have fun, and remember that skill beats gear every time.
Old 09-07-16, 03:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Considering how badly assembled the Wal-Mart bike Might be, he'd probably be just as well off getting something with a rigid frame from Craigslist.
Old 09-07-16, 06:03 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I rode a Huffy for years during and after college. I'm 6'2". Yes, my friends all had much better bikes than me. But, for me it was either a cheap bike or nothing. Sure, I was dropped on long trail rides in the State Parks, but eventually, I was getting air, bunny hopping rocks and roots, and keeping up with the big boys. Then, when I had disposable income years latter, (18 years ago) I bought my first Specialized HardRock. It is a world of difference, yes, yes, yes. But the OP just wants to have something for fun and fitness. If I had of dumped a $1000 into a new bike in college, I would have probably struggled more back then, or hocked it to get back into the black financially.
Two wheels, a seat, a chain, some good sprockets... it got me some skills. And, I greatly appreciated my bike shop bike years latter.

It's not fair IMO to suggest that the only way to get into riding the trails is by dropping big bucks. Jeesh, I hate Walmart. But, the guy wants to ride. And, he doesn't have the income yet. What's wrong with suggesting something that will get him rolling?

anyways, he is here, reading up on the issues. He'll probably make the decisions he wants to make. Ha ha, it's ironic to me, that a small business owner would even concider suggesting WalMart, ha ha. But, I was in those poor man shoes once too. And, one day, you'll have a garage of parts, bikes, and gear also.

Just ride, have fun, and remember that skill beats gear every time.
I'm not suggesting he spend a ton. I was simply saying that $1200 isn't much for a mtb with decent parts. For many people, that's a decent introductory price.

For someone who is only looking to spend $300, buying used is an option but is hard to find something if you don't know what to look for. A department store bike would work, but they're heavy, not put together well, and quality can be sub par. It might be a better option to spend a couple hundred dollars now and buy a bike that can be upgraded over time.

Old 09-07-16, 06:30 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skill beats gear every time.
While this may make you feel good for some reason this is simply not true.

Two riders with equal skill:

The rider on the better, more durable, lighter bike with better wheels/tires and brakes will beat the Walmart dude. Assuming the Walmart dude's bike survives a "real" MTB ride.

Just the facts.
Old 09-07-16, 06:58 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by benaroundawhile
While this may make you feel good for some reason this is simply not true.

Two riders with equal skill:

The rider on the better, more durable, lighter bike with better wheels/tires and brakes will beat the Walmart dude. Assuming the Walmart dude's bike survives a "real" MTB ride.

Just the facts.
,,,Unless the walmart riders Is more comfortable In the hurt locker, has bigger kahunas, a death wish, or maybe just crazier

Sorry I just couldn't help myself
Old 09-07-16, 07:43 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
,,,Unless the walmart riders Is more comfortable In the hurt locker, has bigger kahunas, a death wish, or maybe just crazier

Sorry I just couldn't help myself
Which part of "equal" did you find confusing?
Old 09-07-16, 08:33 PM
CosmicF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll ride a Huffy in group with you guys. I don't have extraordinary skills or anything, but the OP said for fun and fitness. He didn't say on a mountain side slolumn or on highly technical run. Heck, I'll drag out my 17 yo daughter's Huffy and feel confident on a moderately technical track. Ha ha!

It's a bike. People used to ride all sorts of clunkers. A guy either can either have fun on what he can afford or wait till he has the dough to hang out with the bro's at the bike shop and slap gear ratios and fork frap back and forth, but when push come to shove, it's the human body that is doing the magnificent stuff.

Like I said, when one gets the money, the light and tight bike shop bike will feel like riding on air. They are better machines, but ultimately between the two bike, it's the rider doing the work. It's the human having the fun and fitness. A skillless dweeb will have no advantage over another skillless dweeb, by riding a $7000 bike. The bike doesn't hop itself over logs, nor does it make the jumps for you. And, when one gets to bunny hopping on a Huffy, I'll guarantee you that he'll rock an S-Works latter on.

I see no reason to discourage someone from getting a steel framed bike, if they just want to ride. Sure, try Craig's list, or the local trade day, or even see if someone at the lbs wants to sell their old bike for an upgrade. But, if you have to wait till your coffers can cough up a $1200 bike, then he'll be missing out on some days in woods. Just saying... All in all, it's the OP's call. But, I'd have no hesitation taking a Huffer out for some dust and grind any day, if my only other option was setting at a computer watching YouTube videos or talking gears and fork flap with kawabungas at the lbs, ha ha. The objective is getting outside and learning to handle a bike in the wild.
Most Huffys come outfitted with Shimano now a days anyways. At least my daughter's did. Maybe the bias comes from folks never having owned one. If you jumped straight into Treks and Cannondales, you may have no idea... But, many of us grew up with these things.
Old 09-07-16, 08:43 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I'll drag out my 17 yo daughter's Huffy and feel confident on a moderately technical track. Ha ha!
How do you define "moderately technical track"?

A skillless dweeb will have no advantage over another skillless dweeb, by riding a $7000 bike.
Two riders with moderate skills - rider on the non-Wallyworld bike will have a definite advantage.

Most Huffys come outfitted with Shimano now a days anyways.
This response highlights your lack of understanding.

Shimano, like other component brands, offers a wide range of products. From really crappy to really good.

Guess which level comes on the Wallyworld Huffy bikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.