Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need some advice, PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-07-16, 11:57 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am getting back into riding! I am now 50 but still feel pretty young. I want to lose some weight too. I am 6'2 and about 245. Would like to get down to 215. I am pretty active still.
My bike is a hardtail and I want a full suspension to make it easier on my back. My existing bike is a hardtail old supergo frame with all Shimano Deore/XT components. Mavic wheels and hubs. Duke XC fork.
So I found a K2 Razor Back Team frame on ebay. I got it for 220.00 plus shipping. ITs coming from Poland and should be here in 1-2 weeks. Here is a pic of the frame.

So will my RockShox Duke XC be a good match for this frame? Its barely used! Holds air great! But I always thought it was kinda bouncy! So I am looking at a pair of used Marzocchi's.
Then I want Grip shift. Can I use Gripshift with my Shimano derailers? Well this is it I guess for now. Just looking for some good info from experience riders out there. ALOT HAS CHANGED!!! Bike prices are OUT OF CONTROL!!!
Old 09-07-16, 11:58 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-07-16, 01:19 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Can't comment on the frame/fork but Sram makes gripshifts made to work with shimano derailleurs. They have different names like MRX and Attack or whatever you just have to read the descriptions and make sure they say they are made to work with shimano.
Old 09-07-16, 01:39 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canker,
Thank you very much! I did not know that. Ok then I would think my 15 year old Shimano XT derailler would be just fine. Have there been any major differences in close to 15 years for rear high end derailler?
Thank you again.
Old 09-07-16, 10:22 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Pull ratios changed when they went to 10 speed and they added a clutch to help with chain slap. As long as you are sticking to 9 or less gears out back you are fine.
Old 09-08-16, 07:05 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is the Duke the same head style, I would assume this frame has a tapered head. also I hope that is not the actual picture of the frame they are sending as the upper shock mount is missing in that picture.
Old 09-08-16, 07:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Unless it is one of those through-body-pull-shock deals.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-08-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 09:30 AM
FrozenK

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
Is the Duke the same head style, I would assume this frame has a tapered head. also I hope that is not the actual picture of the frame they are sending as the upper shock mount is missing in that picture.
No, the upper mount isn't missing. The Razorback used a pull shock. It supposedly had some benefits, but never became popular.

The frame is probably early 00's and it has a straight steerer. The Duke should work. It isn't a particularly stiff fork but it should fit.
Old 09-08-16, 09:41 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
No, the upper mount isn't missing. The Razorback used a pull shock. It supposedly had some benefits, but never became popular.

The frame is probably early 00's and it has a straight steerer. The Duke should work. It isn't a particularly stiff fork but it should fit.
OH,, so it is an older razorback, I was comparing it to the new ones.
Old 09-11-16, 10:43 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Thank you for all the help Canker and everyone! Yes, the frame is a 2003 with a Fox Pull shock. The frame was barely used as you can see. They are awesome XC and or trail frames. They are super heavy duty!
The pull shock really pushes the rear wheel to the ground. They climb better without the shock locked out too! The Fox Vanilla has a lock out lever on it.
I have been waiting a long time to find this particular frame.
So my next question is this: I was thinking about a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 fork. Its a 2014 model is looks super nice. Reviews are very good on it. I think for my weight it would work well. 100mm travel w/ a tapered steering tube.
My frame is a 1 1/8 steering tube and takes a Canecreek 1 1/8 S2 or similar headset. However, I have read you can purchase a special lower adapter bearing set that allows you to be able to use a tapered steering tube.
Any advice with this? The fork is really nice, brand new and 85.00!!!!! Retail its over a 400.00 fork!
Thanks alot everyone! I really appreciate the help and am open to all help and suggestions!! Thank you again Canker!
Old 09-11-16, 10:46 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a pic. of the 1 1/8 head tube
Old 09-11-16, 10:55 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here a few more pics:

Last edited by ToddSantora; 09-11-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 11:53 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dirt jump forks are designed to take big hits and usually perform poorly as trail forks. A Marzocchi DJ doesn't seem like a good fit for that frame.

And that looks like a Fox Float shock on that frame. The Vanilla had a coil spring.
Old 09-11-16, 12:48 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok what would you recommend? Original fork was a Sid xc 80mm. I thought with my weight the dirt jumper may be pretty good.however with nearly 100.00 for a headset maybe a nom tapered steering tube may be better. I like the marzocchi superfly 2. It's a older fork but i heard was really good. As well as the bomber z2.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-11-16, 01:25 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSantora
Ok what would you recommend? Original fork was a Sid xc 80mm. I thought with my weight the dirt jumper may be pretty good.however with nearly 100.00 for a headset maybe a nom tapered steering tube may be better. I like the marzocchi superfly 2. It's a older fork but i heard was really good. As well as the bomber z2.
Thanks!!!
Rock Shox Reba or Revelation, you need a straight steerer so most likely a used one. Or a Fox Float (or Vanilla) again, you'll likely need to get a used one as they don't make them with straight steerer anymore. Fox forks will need more maintenance than Rock Shox.

Marzocchi went out of business last year (or year before maybe) I think Fox bought the brand, but no idea how hard will it be to find spares like seals, bushings, etc... which you'll need to service the fork.
Old 09-11-16, 01:39 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rock Shox Reba or Revelation, you need a straight steerer so most likely a used one. Or a Fox Float (or Vanilla) again, you'll likely need to get a used one as they don't make them with straight steerer anymore. Fox forks will need more maintenance than Rock Shox.

Marzocchi went out of business last year (or year before maybe) I think Fox bought the brand, but no idea how hard will it be to find spares like seals, bushings, etc... which you'll need to service the fork.
Thanks for all the info! I may just keep my duke xc!! It will fit right away and it's got rebound adjustment..
I really liked it 15 years ago and I bet they have less then 200 miles om them. They still have the same air on them. They got really good reviews too.
Hmm, oil change, coat of wax and a little fine tuning and I bet they will be good! I can always change them later...
Old 09-11-16, 02:09 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have there been any major differences in close to 15 years for rear high end derailler?
Yes. Clutch derailleurs.
Old 09-11-16, 02:10 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I may just keep my duke xc!! It will fit right away and it's got rebound adjustment..
I really liked it 15 years ago and I bet they have less then 200 miles om them. They still have the same air on them. They got really good reviews too.
Hmm, oil change, coat of wax and a little fine tuning and I bet they will be good! I can always change them later...
Dukes are OK, not particularly stiff but OK. I'd start with them.
Old 09-11-16, 02:10 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by benaroundawhile
Yes. Clutch derailleurs.
And two more speeds.
Old 09-11-16, 02:11 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And two more speeds.
Pull ratios were already mentioned.
Old 09-11-16, 02:17 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dukes are OK, not particularly stiff but OK. I'd start with them.
I read really good reviews on them. What I really want is very plush or really nice riding front forks. And I don't like the hunched over xc style. I like the bars up higher.a much more upright riding position....all mountain???
Old 09-11-16, 02:20 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read really good reviews on them. What I really want is very plush or really nice riding front forks. And I don't like the hunched over xc style. I like the bars up higher.a much more upright riding position....all mountain???
That's why I was very interested in marzocchi. I heard they had the best ride out of My fork. Oil bath with spring
Old 09-12-16, 07:21 AM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright I picked up a marzocchi z3 light with I think 70mm of travel. Should match my rear just fine as the rear I think is 80mm.
They are very clean, but look to need new seals. I will start rounding up parts this week. New seal and new oil. Its a 1 1/8 steering tube with 8.25 length. Should be good to go!!😁😁😁😁😁
Old 09-12-16, 09:53 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys I got the frame today. It is awesome!! It is no noodly weight weenie frame. Very heavy duty and it looks very well built.
Wow. I am fired up I got this frame!!! Finall.
Now marzocchi bomber z3 lite coming by Friday. Getting it all ready to go!
Thank you everyone!
Old 09-13-16, 08:24 PM
ToddSantora
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was looking at the frame today and noticed there are 2 shock adjustments on the rear Fox shock. A is for 3" and B is for 4" so I have some adjustments to the rear end as well. Very nice shock. I found the Fox booklet on it online and downloaded a copy. Tells me everything I need to know about the shock. Even how to disassemble and clean it!!! I am not sure when it has been done, if ever. The shock does however look to be in excellent condition. I suppose I should take it apart, inspect, clean and grease it.
The Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light should be here by Friday. I am ordering new seals for it tonight and fork oil I am also getting extra springs with it. Hey for 65.00 with shipping I am super happy!
So far, 340.00 w/ shipping for frame(came from Poland) so shipping was 120.00! Then 65.00 for new front Marz fork. So I am off to a great start for 405.00.
I am still fired up at how nice the frame is!!! WOW!!!!
Can anyone recommend a bottom bracket for this frame and crankset if I decide to purchase different and not use what I have now???
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.