Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good experience with Shipbikes.com

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-05-17, 03:48 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I recently shipped two bikes from NYC to Tampa using Shipbikes.com. Online, that company sold me FedEx shipping labels appropriate for the size and weight of the two bike boxes that I packed. I attached the labels and took the boxes to a FedEx location; they arrived in Tampa four days later. The cost of the two labels was around $150, a bit over half of the cost had I bought the labels directly from FedEx. I have no connection to Shipbikes.com.
Old 02-05-17, 04:36 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
oh SUUURE you don't.......
Old 02-05-17, 05:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
sheesh, not every post with a link is spam. Someone that has over 200 posts on the board is not spamming.

I have good luck with bikeflights.com Never had any reason to use shipbike
Old 02-05-17, 05:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 2,034 Posts
I've used Ship Bikes. It was about $65 WI to UT and I dropped off at the local Fed Ex location. No issues with them. With shipping any bike box size matters. You should play with the box dimensions to find the cheapest price. Cutting off 1 inch of box can make $$$ difference.
Old 02-05-17, 08:14 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm lazy and not as price sensitive as I once was so I use the AirCaddy and love it. i have used a regular bike box once and the AirCaddy is a lot less time and not that much more expensive. I've used the same box three times and the next shipment will require some extra tape but I'm pretty sure it will make the trip. Ship Bikes has always performed well for me, as has FedEx.
Old 02-06-17, 04:04 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I shipped some wheels I sold on ebay via shipbikes.com last May. They got there two days later and had no problems at all. I'm happy.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-06-17, 05:10 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lol dumb question here lol. Wouldnt it be more fun to ride your bike to where your going to ride lol..or have the person ride it home lol.

Boxing a bike cannot be easy
Old 02-06-17, 06:49 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you have all the time in the world riding to your destination might be an option. The last time I did ship my recumbent trike it was from Las Vegas to Minneapolis for the Midwest Recumbent Rally. Even at 75 miles a day that would have taken up all of the rest of my vacation for the entire year. Retired now but shipping the trike to Wisconsin would still be (maybe this summer) my choice. This time I would NOT use the airline but ship it ahead. Too much of a hassle dealing with a boxed bike and my own luggage. Boxing the bike was the least hassle compared to schlepping it around the airports.
Old 02-09-17, 10:55 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They are based in the town I went to high school in. Thanks for the heads-up. I will give them some business one of these days.

I did a bit more looking around. It appears to be part of lickbikes dot com, which in turn is all of what is left of my childhood LBS (Lickton's Cycle City). They've got some mixed reviews, so it would be good to check.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-09-17 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
Lol dumb question here lol. Wouldnt it be more fun to ride your bike to where your going to ride lol..or have the person ride it home lol.

Boxing a bike cannot be easy

Sure. When I have the time again. These days, if I am travelling out west from the east coast it's not something practicable. Once upon a time I took Amtrak from Philly to Seattle and then rode home and on to the New Jersey shore. Nearly four months on the road with no SAG.

And boxing a bike is not hard at all. I have boxed bikes for air travel more than a dozen times. Boxing for Amtrak, which I have done several times, is even easier. These days, however, I been having a LBS do it when I ship via bikeflights.com for tours far away from home. The LBS packs it really well and walks the boxed bike around the corner to the FedEx/Kinko's store for pickup. I have a LBS in the city where the tour starts assemble the bike so it's ready for me when I arrive. The shop will also hold my box free of charge. When the tour is done, I simply roll the bike back into the shop, give them the shipping papers and go have a beer. I could do all that myself, but I have the means to pay to have it done for me, so why not? Besides, when I tour I mostly camp and cook my own dinners, so It's not like I spending gobs of money on the vacation every day.
Old 02-09-17, 11:08 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used Shipbikes.com when I sold my Venge. GREAT service! Just as advertised. I used the UPS option. The box I bought from Shipbikes was excellent! The bike arrived at the buyer's without any damage.

The Shipbikes service is basically the same as using UPS or FedEx, except you get a nice discount through the Shipbikes account with the carrier.

It's a great concept, and works flawlessly. The boxes they sell come with extras that ensure that you can pack your bike really professionally. I took it one step further and wrapped cardboard around all the tubes of the frame.

If I should have the need again, I will definitely be using them again.
Old 02-13-17, 12:36 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I haven't tried Shipbikes, but I did use Bikeflights once. They were a bit slow in getting the FedEx shipping label to me, but they were cheap. I shipped a frame from Maryland to Michigan for $25.
Old 02-13-17, 01:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
They were a bit slow in getting the FedEx shipping label to me....
Really? When I have purchased far in advance I have always gotten emails with the shipping labels 10 days in advance, as promised. When have purchased shipping for the next day I have gotten the labels with the estimated 30 min.

What I don't like about their system is this....There is no option to request that labels be sent to you more than 10 days prior to your ship date. That means that if you are touring for more than 10 days, you can't get your return shipping label prior to the start of the tour. That, in turn, means you have to find computer and printer access while out on the road (not always easy to do in small town America, where libraries are often open only on select days and/or for limited hours) or make sure you finish the tour at a location and at a time where and when you will have access to a computer and printer.

I would really like the option of being able to get shipping labels for both legs prior to the start of the trip so I don't have to run around at the end of a tour like I have had to.
Old 02-13-17, 03:19 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Really? When I have purchased far in advance I have always gotten emails with the shipping labels 10 days in advance, as promised. When have purchased shipping for the next day I have gotten the labels with the estimated 30 min.

What I don't like about their system is this....There is no option to request that labels be sent to you more than 10 days prior to your ship date. That means that if you are touring for more than 10 days, you can't get your return shipping label prior to the start of the tour. That, in turn, means you have to find computer and printer access while out on the road (not always easy to do in small town America, where libraries are often open only on select days and/or for limited hours) or make sure you finish the tour at a location and at a time where and when you will have access to a computer and printer.

I would really like the option of being able to get shipping labels for both legs prior to the start of the trip so I don't have to run around at the end of a tour like I have had to.
My thought was that they were staging for a flight container. Just a guess, but it was several days before I got a shipper.