Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Building a 12 pound fixed speed bike. Possible?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Building a 12 pound fixed speed bike. Possible?

Old 11-26-17, 10:09 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
I really feel like there ought to be an event for these bikes - fixed-gear hill time trials so that people who want to put drillium in the titanium have a raison d'etre.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/red-bull-bay-climb-2017

Or

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/gallery...um-hill-climb/
Old 11-27-17, 02:42 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Why is it always roadies that get a bug up their ass for a FG/SS/Tarck bike who make such a big deal about having one that is ultra-light?

I see that same 1100g weight claim you made for the frameset everywhere - but without substantation, and not being made by C'dale themselves...so perhaps your premise is not based in reality.
And why do so many people think they can be rude and act like jerks on the internet?
See https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1547/2...a52f38_c_d.jpg for the frame weight.

Originally Posted by Bandera
It may have something to do with the lack of mountain passes to climb on the average Velodrome.

-Bandera
Your not seriously telling most everyone on this forum rides their single speed on a veledrome are you? A quick search of Velodrome in this forum shows one thread in 16, two in 14 and one in 13.

How many velodromes are there even in the entire USA, 25? So I'm guesssing all these "track" bikes are ridden on the street like a road bike.

Last edited by raria; 11-27-17 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 08:30 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Your not seriously telling most everyone on this forum rides their single speed on a veledrome are you?
Should we clarify matters by referring to bikes exclusively raced on the Velodrome as "Track-Bikes" and those which share the design elements of track ends, "track" geometry and FG drivetrain operated on the open public roads as "Track-Likes"?

That would throw some serious shade on the Track-Like and dissolve the cache' of the intrepid FG rider taking to the street from the Velodrome with Nelson Vails-like power, speed and catlike reflexes, but I'm good with that.

PS:
There is an entire sub-forum on BF dedicated to Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area with 45,846 posts.
That's where the Track-Bike riders are.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-27-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 08:55 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Basically what I want is the second one with a fixed-only category. I noticed that there is a US National Hill Climb too.

OP, one thing you are missing about the whole track-bike thing is that the feature of track bikes that is most prized is stiffness. Track racers sacrifice lightness for stiffness because of the tremendous amount of pressure that they put on their bikes. I suspect that there is probably a lot more stress on the bikes in fixed gear climbing as well because of the inability to switch gears, so I'm not even 100% sure that if we had an ultimate weight-weeny even for fixed gears that the bikes would end up that light.
Old 11-27-17, 10:41 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok. We hate light bikes.

Back to the topic at hand. Dig a little digging and paging someone that knows about riding a super light SS. Now if only the photo wasn't gone...

Originally Posted by Aka_ricerocket
This is my Commuter Bike. When I don't feel like paying for parking downtown I ride this instead. It was my dream Bike for many many years, and when I heard of a local guy selling his in my size. I picked it up no questions asked.

I contacted trek to see how rare it is, and they said they made 300 of them just for the "one year". Thats across all the sizes, So there are probably less than 75 of these Trek District Carbon in a size 52cm.

hope you trek lovers enjoy current weight as pictured is 11lbs even.

Edit: Google is your friend.

Old 11-27-17, 10:43 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Basically what I want is the second one with a fixed-only category. I noticed that there is a US National Hill Climb too.
It's a Century old British tradition:

"Chris Boardman was three times hill climb champion from 1989-1991 on a fixed gear. And, with a tradition going back to 1887, when the Catford CC climb held its inaugural competition, before the derailleur was ever invented, that’s hardly surprising."

Building a Classic Hill Climb Bike - Magazine - Ride Velo
Old 11-27-17, 11:09 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
Ok. We hate light bikes.

Back to the topic at hand. Dig a little digging and paging someone that knows about riding a super light SS. Now if only the photo wasn't gone...

Edit: Google is your friend.

[sw8 fixxay]
Oooh! Goody! Now we can argue over his complete lack of a rear brake!

(Or is that a belt-driven fixed gear? Which, I thought, is not recommended... )
Old 11-27-17, 11:20 AM
Moose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one that claims to be under 9 pounds! Clearly not made for track riding, front and rear brakes included. Of course the price of admission is 4 g's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8kg-Rad-S...YAAOSw~RVZ~Zn7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
s-l1600 (Small).jpg (39.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-27-17, 11:33 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
Oooh! Goody! Now we can argue over his complete lack of a rear brake!
Brakes aren't important if you only ride up hill.
Old 11-27-17, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If I were building one of those hill climb bikes I would go Holland ExoGrid Ti/Carbon tubing. Benefits of carbon and Ti and it looks so cool and since it is a hill climb I wouldn't be going super fast so people could peep at it.

I don't know if he does a frame with track ends but I bet he would and it would be so freakin' sweet.