Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First fixed gear!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

First fixed gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 09:14 PM
rmc2112

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First fixed gear!

Looking to get my first fixed gear after years of road and mountain biking. I am debating on building a state 4130 frame up with some miscellaneous parts I have lying around plus a Mavic wheelset from velomine or just buying a Surly Steamroller complete. Anyone have any insight? Both frames look to be 4130. After pricing everything out it looks like the State build would be about 300 bucks cheaper with all of the parts that I have.
Old 02-10-18, 09:34 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rmc2112
Looking to get my first fixed gear after years of road and mountain biking. I am debating on building a state 4130 frame up with some miscellaneous parts I have lying around plus a Mavic wheelset from velomine or just buying a Surly Steamroller complete. Anyone have any insight? Both frames look to be 4130. After pricing everything out it looks like the State build would be about 300 bucks cheaper with all of the parts that I have.
If you have the tools to build a bike and know how to get a good chainline, by all means build one! It is so much fun. Definitely a good learning experience and a chance to buy more park tools lol. All kidding aside, building your own bike will let you customize it to your preferences/specs/fit. A steamroller could be modified too, but might cost even more if you don't like the stock components.

Dave
Old 02-10-18, 09:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Building or buying is strictly up to you.

However, give some though to the rear triangle. First of all, you want horizontal dropouts because you want to be able to move the wheel forward and back. Then you might want narrower rear rear axle width. Tyical road frames are wider than needed for SS use, and while you can get a wider hub and still have decent chainline, it's easier with a narrower frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-10-18, 09:46 PM
rEVOLVED

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some of State's frames are indeed 4130, but they are nowhere near the same quality as Surly. If you can afford the Steamroller, and you know that you are going to love owning a fixed gear, go for it! Also, I think the State has much less room for wide tires. Do you plan to do mostly road riding, or will this bike ever become a SS/FG gravel/winter bike? From what I've ridden from State, I would totally use one of their frames, but probably only if I was willing to upgrade components. Again, not the same caliber as a Steamroller.
Old 02-11-18, 12:25 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why not build up a steamroller?