Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cup and cone bearings - when are they beyond help?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 09:57 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

My road bike (1990 Schwinn World Sport) has developed a clicking in the cranks, generally once per pedal stroke, although it comes and goes to some extent. I noticed there was tangible play in both pedals, so I disassembled the pedals and discovered that there is pitting on the cones (and some, although less severe, on the spindle cups too). For now, I switched to a new pair of MKS Touring pedals that I had available, but I am wondering whether these pedals are beyond repair, or if that pitting won't be a problem with new balls and grease.

Unfortunately, the clicking has not gone away completely, so it appears the bottom bracket bearing also has issues. When moving the cranks by hand there is a definite and fairly substantial "catch" in the rotation, at the same place each time round. There is no side to side play in the cranks, however. I have not overhauled a bottom bracket before, so my question is, as with the pedals, at what point do you simply replace the whole thing rather than just replace the balls and repack the grease?
Old 08-15-18, 11:13 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
If I have the cash available, I replace the part if there is visible putting on a cup or race. Period.

If I am not able to replace a pitted part for some reason, I’ll clean and regrease the mechanism, and save up for the new bits.
Old 08-15-18, 11:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If the pitting isn't really bothering you, then there is nothing to require it that I know of. It's not like your life is going to be endangered, unless you routinely ride in high motor vehicle traffic and cannot risk any component failure. And remember, this thing is only spinning a very low rpm. So there won't be any parts flying out like shrapnel as does parts on a turbine engine that spins 10,000 to 20,000 rpms

Also, if you do decide you want to fix it, then you might also consider replacing the entire crankset and bottom bracket. Your chainwheels might be getting worn anyway if you put a lot of miles on it.

I get confused about some of the old Schwinn's with World and Sport in their name. Is this one of the <24 pound bikes?

Oh... the last time I had anything clicking that sounded like it was the BB, it turned out to be one of the pedals.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-15-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 11:38 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Originally Posted by Iride01
If the pitting isn't really bothering you, then there is nothing to require it that I know of. It's not like your life is going to be endangered, unless you routinely ride in high motor vehicle traffic and cannot risk any component failure. And remember, this thing is only spinning a very low rpm. So there won't be any parts flying out like shrapnel as does parts on a turbine engine that spins 10,000 to 20,000 rpms

Also, if you do decide you want to fix it, then you might also consider replacing the entire crankset and bottom bracket. Your chainwheels might be getting worn anyway if you put a lot of miles on it.

I get confused about some of the old Schwinn's with World and Sport in their name. Is this one of the <24 pound bikes?
So is the worst thing that will happen just the clicking and knocking? As long as there is sufficient grease in there, it won't rapidly degrade further, right? I don't actually think there's *that* many miles on it, maybe a few thousand over three years. Possibly the grease got washed out by too many times getting caught in the drenching rain.

I doubt the bike is under 24 pounds. It's Taiwan-made (by Giant), chro-moly main tubes and basic steel fork and stays.
Old 08-15-18, 11:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Grease gets washed out, dirt gets washed in, and bearing surfaces fail. It's cumulative, and you can arrest the process temporarily by cleaning and regreasing. Pitted bearings of course will never feel like new, but I agree it's not dangerous. Replace as you can afford it, bit by bit or entire bike.

Definitely inspect the BB.You will need special tools and skills. Cartridge BBs are not too expensive at the lower end.
Old 08-15-18, 12:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Assuming you correctly assemble and adjust them, then the worst I'd expect is that they'll wear quicker and you'll have to deal with them sooner than you felt like dealing with them this time. At the worst, they might just get harder and harder to turn, but that's more unlikely I'd think.

I think one or two model years of the World Sport were actually pretty light bikes compared to others that were built of cheaper tube for the mass market. Chome molly tube might get it down to where the true light weights start (IMO). I only asked that as for me and me alone, that is the point at which I consider if a road bike is worth it to me to spend money on. Your desires and situation are not mine so I won't make fun or deride you if you think spending money on it is well spent.
Old 08-15-18, 12:38 PM
Chesterton

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think one or two model years of the World Sport were actually pretty light bikes compared to others that were built of cheaper tube for the mass market. Chome molly tube might get it down to where the true light weights start (IMO). I only asked that as for me and me alone, that is the point at which I consider if a road bike is worth it to me to spend money on. Your desires and situation are not mine so I won't make fun or deride you if you think spending money on it is well spent.
It has been a pretty decent bike for me. I did a 200K brevet on it, as well as many informal metric centuries, etc. I think this was the last year of the World Sport. I am building up a new randonneuring bike soon and I think I will turn the Schwinn into a fixed gear once that's ready, just for something different. I don't want to spent much money on it since my focus is on the new bike, but since I do intend to keep it in one form or another I'll probably eventually have to replace the BB.
Old 08-16-18, 07:55 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
IN my area World Sports are commonplace and step thru models with low mileage are often available for $20 or less. If you have the crank puller parts swap is easy and takes less than an hour. I have 4 World Sports, and the last one I got in like new condition for $7.00.

This one is too nice to part out.

Original wrap and saddle, pedals in the bag

Last edited by okane; 08-16-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 08:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
There's a little pitting on the cups of my SS commuter's wheel hubs. With new bearings and fresh grease, they run as smoothly as any wheels I've used. So you might be surprised what can be accomplished with a proper overhaul.

Otherwise, as others have explained, you can replace or just keep riding. No biggie, if it doesn't bother you.
Old 08-16-18, 10:01 AM
Chesterton

I guess as long as it's not going to seize up or something, I will just continue riding it and live with the clicking until I get my new bike built up. Then I'll deal with it when I do the fixie conversion.
Old 08-16-18, 10:53 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Open up the BB and inspect it. If the cup and cone surfaces are not pitted and the ball have their shine, clean it up regrease it and go ffor a quiet ride.
Old 08-16-18, 11:40 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I like overhauling cup and cone bbs, but also keep in mind that a replacement sealed unit costs like $15. Still, all you need to overhaul the bb are crank pullers, a lockring wrench, and pin spanners some grease, and some new bearings. Honestly you can cheat the pin spanners carefully using a drift on the adjustable cone.
Old 08-20-18, 08:25 AM
Chesterton

Update: I opened up the bottom bracket and discovered that the spindle races are pitted. The cups look OK. The balls on the drive side all readily fell out of the retainer cage when I plucked it out of the shell, and they are dull and "burnt out" looking. The balls on the non-drive side are much shinier and tight in their cage.

Since the spindle is pitted, I was thinking of just installing a cartridge unit. However, there is a protruding bit on the bottom of the bracket shell that is threaded for the cable guide screw. It protrudes into the space by maybe 4 or 5 mm and the screw tip a few more mm above that. I can get a shorter screw easily enough, but will I have to saw off the metal bit? Will the screw still hold the guide on without it? How much room does a cartridge bearing unit allow for in the center?

Am I better off at this point just getting new retainers and balls and putting the original bearing back together?

Old 08-20-18, 08:51 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
You don't even need retainers. That way you can use 2-3 more balls per side for better load distribution. But I would get a new spindle.
Old 08-20-18, 09:01 AM
Chesterton

Originally Posted by Kovkov
You don't even need retainers. That way you can use 2-3 more balls per side for better load distribution. But I would get a new spindle.
Yes, that's true, I could just buy loose balls. I might rummage through the community bike workshop's parts drawers for a spindle in good condition. It's 137mm if I measured correctly, is that an unusual length? When you measure the spindle, do you include the threaded part where the nut goes, or just the square taper part?
Old 08-20-18, 09:17 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
Yes, that's true, I could just buy loose balls. I might rummage through the community bike workshop's parts drawers for a spindle in good condition. It's 137mm if I measured correctly, is that an unusual length? When you measure the spindle, do you include the threaded part where the nut goes, or just the square taper part?
Can't really help there, mine are cottered, never worked on a square tapered one.
Old 08-20-18, 02:21 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Just measure the square taper part. 136 would be uncommonly long but not impossible. If it's that long on the taper, I would not bother trying to find a spindle. If it is that long: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132377175081
Old 08-20-18, 02:43 PM
Chesterton

Some further research suggests that the "3L" printed on the spindle indicates 116 mm. I'll verify that tonight, but it sounds reasonable, with about a centimeter of threaded post at each end beyond the square taper.
Old 08-20-18, 05:22 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
That cable guide screw looks unusual, a sheet metal screw in a plastic anchor? Even the anchor looks like it'll interfere with a cartridge. If you change to a cartridge, you may need to drill out and tap that hole, or more likely a new hole, for a machine screw.

If you change to a cartridge, you'll also need the width of the shell, 68 or 73 mm usually, and may need a spacer which may affect your chainline.

116 sounds like a more reasonable length, and no, you don't include the threaded studs in the measurement. Your new spindle may have threaded holes and you'll get crank arm bolts with it, instead of nuts.
Old 08-24-18, 09:54 AM
Chesterton

All's well that end's well! I picked up a replacement (lightly used) spindle from the local community bike workshop for $1. Had to dig through the junk bins to find one with the correct length code and taper type and then hope it was less pitted than the one I had, but I finally found a decent one. Replaced the retainer cages holding 9 balls per side with 11 loose balls per side. Rode the bike to work today as a shakedown ride and it is buttery smooth now.