Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crushed Campy dropout: How would you fix it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crushed Campy dropout: How would you fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 09:14 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
So does it ting or what?

I've found cracks in dishware that way.. couldn't see them easily, but that dull thud is a giveaway.

Still waiting... but I think its built up already, it may not be to dingable.
Old 11-19-19, 09:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It doesn't make sense, does it? Hopefully you mention that when asked for a review.
Sent raw and well packed, returned painted and not well packed and damaged in transit as a result.
Not the shipping company's fault. the Painter/packer.
No useful explanation as to why original packaging was lost.
I even included tapered wood pins to fill the head tube ends, fortunately no damage to that on the way back.

Lesson learned, face to face is best.
Old 11-19-19, 10:03 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Using very small directed flame to heat the back of drop out but not glowing hot, leaving adjusters in place... I would be incrementally squeezing the bulging sides of the dropout( protecting itfrom teeth) in the jaws of a big metalworking vise to original width, but leaving the dropouts in the vise as I worked, spreading the drop out open slowly. No matter which method I used to spread it, I would perform the two actions in conjunction.

I am a fan of tapping a fine tapering cold chisel or elelephant sized screwdriver into the mouth of the dropout. (Shaft of tool in line with chainstay.)

Good Luck! Eric
Not having access to a torch of any variety, my weapon of choice would also be a big-a$$ screwdriver and brute force judiciously applied. This "caveman tech" approach has served well for me.
Old 11-19-19, 12:33 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
The shippers insurance said, "tough luck, poor packaging".
They always say this, UPS and FedEx alike. Haven't had a case of damage with USPS yet. Sometimes they'll even claim insufficient packaging even when packed by a professional shop. But I will say, I hear BikeFlights and ShipBikes will refund in full even if the carrier rejects the claim as long as it was packed by a reputable shop.

Sucks on the 'not as described' claim. That's a permanent strike against the seller and I've only ever seen eBay force a full refund to the buyer, including shipping fees incurred both ways. If they just file a claim for any other option, including 'shipping damage', you can still settle amicably with the buyer without hurting anyone's reputation. Using "not as described" is basically bringing a nuke to a knife fight.
Old 11-19-19, 01:03 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Who you calling old? I resemble that remark!
@TenGrainBread has the wisest advice. You could probably cold set it back, but thatsa lotta bend in a very small region.

8" Crescent wrench is typically my tool of choice to open/close horizontal dropouts when they need just a bit. Note: works for 7 o'clock (Campy style) dropouts - the wrench hanger hole catches on the derailleur stop, which is hidden in this picture.

To open the hanger, a lot of tools would work, but an 8" Crescent handle is just about the right size and leverage. Note that the wrench I have above isn't a Crescent brand, but I've found that that the hole to hang the tool is about the same on all of them.
Good illustration. I would try Method #1 and make sure to leave the axle placement adjusting screw in place, it may keep the threaded hole from distorting some when the dropout is bent back to it's proper shape. And, I can't emphasize this enough--bend SLOWLY!
Old 11-19-19, 01:08 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Nice job in the procedure, by the way!
I'll second that--put a derailleur bolt in the hanger, too. You're hired! Seriously, the shipping casualty among my customers that bothered me the most was the guy who packed an immaculate Merckx 7-11 team frame without a rear axle in it; I was able to bend it back out with minimal damage but it never should've happened. Repeat, shippers--packing axle, old dead rear hub, the weight won't increase the freight!
Likes For Feldman:
Old 11-19-19, 01:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
And while we're at it, either remove the dam dropout screws or screw them in all the way, especially if they are original.

If they can't be then say so and it can be worked out BEFORE they become a bigger problem.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-19-19, 01:55 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by francophile
They always say this, UPS and FedEx alike. Haven't had a case of damage with USPS yet. Sometimes they'll even claim insufficient packaging even when packed by a professional shop. But I will say, I hear BikeFlights and ShipBikes will refund in full even if the carrier rejects the claim as long as it was packed by a reputable shop.

Sucks on the 'not as described' claim. That's a permanent strike against the seller and I've only ever seen eBay force a full refund to the buyer, including shipping fees incurred both ways. If they just file a claim for any other option, including 'shipping damage', you can still settle amicably with the buyer without hurting anyone's reputation. Using "not as described" is basically bringing a nuke to a knife fight.
It was a private party sale so no eBay involvement, althought it wasn't, consider a 'craigslist' purchase in which both buyer and seller had Paypal accounts. Fortunately the buyer checked all the right boxes when paying versus doing the usual 'friends/family/personal' or whatever Paypal calls it these days.
Old 11-19-19, 02:01 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by Feldman
Repeat, shippers--packing axle, old dead rear hub, the weight won't increase the freight!
Sometimes that's a hassle. I don't have any spare hubs, no wooden dowels etc.

I don't bother to block them anymore. Again, I'll update my 'how to pack a frame 101' thread with my revised technique.

Tip 1: Do NOT position the frames chain stays along the boxes bottom. Angle the frame so the down tube is along the bottom. This moves the dropouts up in the box preventing crush damage a pictured in this thread. It doesn't prevent the stays from being squeezed together but there's a free work around for that. Also, with the down tube along the bottom, box sizes are slightly smaller. If a frames borderline on L+G this saves a few inches.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 11-19-19, 04:02 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
I don't bother to block them anymore. Again, I'll update my 'how to pack a frame 101' thread with my revised technique.
For years I used details from your initial reply on packing which was (I believe?) your basis for the 101 thread. My memory is, frankly, crap these days. Thanks for it anyway. It never failed me. I was scared to ship a bike prior based on horror stories I'd read. I still sweat every shipment, though.

I've modified the method you posted quite a bit though. I definitely keep trashed high-flange rear hubs, got a whole box full from any frame or wheelset I scrap, even if they're in horrible shape. I normally use solid-axle hubs but also snag and keep ratty QRs for same reason. You can drill plastic dropout/fork-end savers and run an old QR through them to keep them in place without taping.

I just shipped a frame and fork today and used the highest 1960s bullet-hole steel high-flange hub ever, taller than any other high-flange I know. Some high-flange hubs are tall enough they'll act as a standoff for the hanger. This Sturmey hub I used lifted the hanger about 3/4" off the box floor. But I took it a step farther, since I have access to 1" and 3" dense packing foam sheets.

After installing old high flange hub, then foam-wrapping the chainstays, I'll cut a length of 3" foam just wide enough to squeeze between the hub flanges, long enough to go 2" past the hub and BB shell. I lay that piece of foam into it in that channel, then tape it to the stays. This gives the frame about 2" of rise across. I also lay a 1" sheet in the bottom of the box in case of bottom impact.

I hadn't thought about laying the downtube along the bottom. Lately, I've been foam-wrapping the fork and zip-tying it to a foam-wrapped TT or DT with a spacer in it. Then I take a box that'll fit in the front of the box, channel it so the head tube will fit into it. The box acts as a support or riser. I've been using a lot of boxes-in-boxes as isolators for things I don't want moving around.

Either way, your 101 thread is great.