Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do I need this chain guide?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 08:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts

Folks,

I’m perplexed by this chain guide thingy which came on my bike. It seems like it cannot be positioned to really do anything, so I’m wondering if I cannot just pull it off without concern.

It’s a 1 x 10 setup, with a guarded 40t chainring and 11-42t cluster.

I have the guide/keeper positioned as close to the guard as I can get it, aligned so that it doesn’t rub in any gear, but the trailing end is dropped as low as it can go, in hopes it might catch some chain if it decides to come off and do something to retain it. Could it be installed improperly?

It strikes me as a really clunky piece of kit if not an utterly useless one; I’ve seen some pretty discreet chainkeepers— if that is, in fact, what this thing is— but this huge piece looks like a fixed derailleur. I tied to spice it up with some anodized bolts, but visually I’d rather be rid of it, so if it’s superfluous or there are better options, any insight would be appreciated.

As you can see in the pic, it’s well proud of the chain and not capturing it at all. The guide channel is not wide enough to overlap both the ring guard and chainring, so it cannot be lowered, and the guide plates are to thick to slip between the ring guard and chainring, so it cannot be lowered to capture more chain for that reason, too.

Really, I cannot get my mind around this piece; is it only effective when in the
40/42 combo? I don’t get it. Please help!

Thanks!

Old 12-16-20, 11:25 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The chain guide is likely there to prevent a dropped chain. When you shift in the rear, a wave propagates up to the front and may lift the chain off the ring.
Old 12-17-20, 12:16 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
If you don't have a clutch rear derailleur, you'll want to keep that on there or the chain will likely drop occasionally while shifting gears or riding on bumpy ground/pavement.
Old 12-17-20, 01:25 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
As you can see in the pic...

How'd you get your name onto the chain stay?
Old 12-17-20, 04:45 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Unless you have a narrow-wide chainring and a clutch derailleur, you need some means to keep the chain on it.

If you don't like the guide, you could do something more discreet, like putting a chainguard on both sides of the ring. My Dahon folding bike has the chainring "sandwitched" between 2 chainguards and it works. Sometimes I hear a metal "clank" when shifting and it's the chain hitting the metal guard, so they seem to do their job.
Old 12-17-20, 07:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by 2_i
The chain guide is likely there to prevent a dropped chain. When you shift in the rear, a wave propagates up to the front and may lift the chain off the ring.
Is there any other reason for a chain guide?

I didn’t realize that simply shifting would cause chain drop. I thought it took bumps or shocks to do that, especially across the upper run, where the chain is under tension...or are you saying the wave travels backwards, across the bottom and lifts the chain from the underside of the chainring? Such a chainguide would seem to be in the wrong place for a mechanism like that.
Old 12-17-20, 07:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If you don't have a clutch rear derailleur, you'll want to keep that on there or the chain will likely drop occasionally while shifting gears or riding on bumpy ground/pavement.
it’s a Deore Shadow Plus, so it is clutched; you think the guide is superfluous, then?
Old 12-17-20, 07:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Amt0571
Unless you have a narrow-wide chainring and a clutch derailleur, you need some means to keep the chain on it.

If you don't like the guide, you could do something more discreet, like putting a chainguard on both sides of the ring. My Dahon folding bike has the chainring "sandwitched" between 2 chainguards and it works. Sometimes I hear a metal "clank" when shifting and it's the chain hitting the metal guard, so they seem to do their job.
I dunno if if the ring is “narrow-wide,” but the RD is clutched (Deore Shadow+).

I’ve payed attention to it but cannot hear any contact between chain and guide in any gear. It came preinstalled on the bike, and when going over it out of the box, it seemed positioned so high that there was no way it could have contacted the chain, so I brought down, in as close as I could to the chainring and without any rub in any gear.

This is my first 1x setup, so I’m not familiar with problems specific
to that kind of setup, but I see lots of 1x bikes without such a guide and wonder what the difference is that this bike needs one. Given it seems unlikely it could even do anything, I’d really prefer to remove it if it is indeed unnecessary.
Old 12-17-20, 08:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by BCDrums
How'd you get your name onto the chain stay?
Oh, I get vinyl transfer decals made for most
of my rigs! There are lots of online shops who make them, and I like https://www.customvinyllettering.net/.

Here are a few of the others:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-17-20, 08:07 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

I dunno if if the ring is “narrow-wide,” but the RD is clutched (Deore Shadow+).

I’ve payed attention to it but cannot hear any contact between chain and guide in any gear. It came preinstalled on the bike, and when going over it out of the box, it seemed positioned so high that there was no way it could have contacted the chain, so I brought down, in as close as I could to the chainring and without any rub in any gear.

This is my first 1x setup, so I’m not familiar with problems specific
to that kind of setup, but I see lots of 1x bikes without such a guide and wonder what the difference is that this bike needs one. Given it seems unlikely it could even do anything, I’d really prefer to remove it if it is indeed unnecessary.
It's probably tehre because the chainring isn't narrow-wide. If you remove it it'll probably derail.
r
Old 12-17-20, 08:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

It's probably tehre because the chainring isn't narrow-wide. If you remove it it'll probably derail.
r
thanks. I’ll see about fitting a “narrow-wide” chainring then.
Old 12-17-20, 09:12 AM
Amt0571

thanks. I’ll see about fitting a “narrow-wide” chainring then.
You can try if it derails with the included chainring first though. My bet is that its going to work in normal conditions, and probably derrail if you shift over bumps.
Old 12-17-20, 10:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You can try if it derails with the included chainring first though. My bet is that its going to work in normal conditions, and probably derrail if you shift over bumps.
I looked up NW rings and went out to check the bike, and it does have one already. So this is perplexing, because it has a clutch RD and a NW ring, so why does it have that clunky guide on it??

I guess I'll just take it off and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-17-20, 10:05 AM
Amt0571

I looked up NW rings and went out to check the bike, and it does have one already. So this is perplexing, because it has a clutch RD and a NW ring, so why does it have that clunky guide on it??

I guess I'll just take it off and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
Take it off then. You shouldn't need it.
Old 12-17-20, 10:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It costs you nothing to remove it and just how it works. I have a fatbike with a non-clutched rear derailler and a "poor man's" 1x drivetrain -- I took the large ring off the crankset and I'm using only the small ring. I removed the front derailleur entirely, I don't have a chain device, and the chain ring is not a narrow-wide design. Despite that, I haven't dropped a chain yet. I couldn't say that it'd never happen, but it's been fine so far. You could remove it and see how you make out. It'll cost you nothing but time...and perhaps some greasy fingers if you do drop the chain once or twice.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-17-20, 10:32 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It costs you nothing to remove it and just how it works. I have a fatbike with a non-clutched rear derailler and a "poor man's" 1x drivetrain -- I took the large ring off the crankset and I'm using only the small ring. I removed the front derailleur entirely, I don't have a chain device, and the chain ring is not a narrow-wide design. Despite that, I haven't dropped a chain yet. I couldn't say that it'd never happen, but it's been fine so far. You could remove it and see how you make out. It'll cost you nothing but time...and perhaps some greasy fingers if you do drop the chain once or twice.
Well, if you drop the chain unexpectedly when sprinting, for example, it can cost you your teeth
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 12-17-20, 12:32 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Is there any other reason for a chain guide?

I didn’t realize that simply shifting would cause chain drop. I thought it took bumps or shocks to do that, especially across the upper run, where the chain is under tension...or are you saying the wave travels backwards, across the bottom and lifts the chain from the underside of the chainring? Such a chainguide would seem to be in the wrong place for a mechanism like that.
The wave along the bottom is dampened by the tensioner. It is the one going along the top that can cause the drop without provisions of one sort or another. On bikes with front derailleurs it is the derailleur cage that prevents the drop. The clutch that is on in a clutched rear derailleur reduces the wave on top.
Old 12-17-20, 01:09 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I was dropping the chain on my Diamondback 1x9 all the time. It had a chain guide too. Of course Murphy's Law dictated that it only happened at the most embarrassing moments. Switching to a narrow-wide ring was like night and day -- no drops since then.
Old 12-17-20, 01:47 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
My 1974 Carlton never had one, but it was only 1x5, and the only time was when I did something stupid with a badly worn chain. My brother's 2x5 would, if the lever wasn't quite in place.
Old 12-17-20, 02:09 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The chain guide isn't meant to work with that style of bash gaurd so you might remove one or the other. The chain guide is pointless as currently setup. If you don't have a narrow wide chainring I'd loose the bash and keep the chain guide, even on a gravel/road bike that could be useful. The bash is pointless unless you are actually mtn biking.
Old 12-17-20, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Take it or leave it probably not a bad thing but with a clutch and a NW you should be fine. Heck my NW with a non-clutched derailleur (old XT 8 speed) works just fine and dandy and I haven't yet dropped a chain (at least not that I can remember)

I do like the pink bolt on it so I would vote to keep but only for that bolt.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-17-20, 07:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Canker
The chain guide isn't meant to work with that style of bash gaurd so you might remove one or the other. The chain guide is pointless as currently setup. If you don't have a narrow wide chainring I'd loose the bash and keep the chain guide, even on a gravel/road bike that could be useful. The bash is pointless unless you are actually mtn biking.
That’s what I thought...it certainly does not appear to be able to do anything as-is. The bash guard, however, also protects the pants leg from brushing the chain, so I’m preferring to keep it for that. Ditching it, though, does open up the possibility of a fiting a tricked-out chainring! Bespoke Chainrings has a couple of dope ones in stock right now which would look so swass...