Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Plus Tire (non electric) Folding Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 11:00 AM
JosephLMonti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I recently came across this vid of a guy who has modified his Brompton to take plus tires:

https://youtu.be/oxGwZB7pA9o

I'm am wondering if others have done this or have at least thought about running wide tires...please share your thoughts

Personally, I think it would be great for making folding bikes more capable of light trail duty
Old 02-05-21, 12:06 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
I recently came across this vid of a guy who has modified his Brompton to take plus tires:

Life unfolding - YouTube

I'm am wondering if others have done this or have at least thought about running wide tires...please share your thoughts

Personally, I think it would be great for making folding bikes more capable of light trail duty
This is why I don't own a Brompton. I want one, but I want balloon/fat tires on it (and a Shimano IGH hub too,...). Oh, how I wish this was the norm,...

Old 02-05-21, 12:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Here's the link to the site for the custom Brommie mods: Eerder Metaal Home
Old 02-05-21, 12:44 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. It was very interesting.
Old 02-05-21, 01:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
All this kind of light trail riding as in the video, as well as sand and snow riding, I do fine on regular width Brompton tires. However, for deeper sand, deeper snow and sticky mud, wider tires would have been good, as well as more space between tires and fenders. An alternative direction could be to go to 14" rims.
Old 02-05-21, 01:55 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
What size wheels is he using in the video?
Old 02-05-21, 01:57 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Kinetics now also has Brompton fork and rear triangle compatible with ETRTO355 wheels and wide tires like Big Apple.

Its rear triangle has an OLD of 135mm and is compatible with Shimano or Rohloff IGH.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 02-09-21, 12:20 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
All this kind of light trail riding as in the video, as well as sand and snow riding, I do fine on regular width Brompton tires. However, for deeper sand, deeper snow and sticky mud, wider tires would have been good, as well as more space between tires and fenders. An alternative direction could be to go to 14" rims.
Very true. As with many things we need to untangle the idea of cool from that of function. Back in the 1970s, before I became aware of BMX and before mountain bikes became something different I was riding my Carlton Continental road bike off road, even with drop bars, on standard road tires. Yes the thick clay and leaf mix would jam the 1 1/4 road tires in the calliper rim brakes, but I went everywhere - and probably did not look cool doing so

Today I do have a pair of off-road tires for my 24" folders, for use while winter offroading, the kind where you slide your bike sideways down slopes, but for summer I am usually on standard road tires.

BUT.... if you want to look hot, or at least your bike to look hot, go for those balloon tires.

Tigger in the snow

Tigger not in the snow
Likes For Geepig:
Old 02-11-21, 06:58 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Geepig
Very true. As with many things we need to untangle the idea of cool from that of function. Back in the 1970s, before I became aware of BMX and before mountain bikes became something different I was riding my Carlton Continental road bike off road, even with drop bars, on standard road tires. Yes the thick clay and leaf mix would jam the 1 1/4 road tires in the calliper rim brakes, but I went everywhere - and probably did not look cool doing so

Today I do have a pair of off-road tires for my 24" folders, for use while winter offroading, the kind where you slide your bike sideways down slopes, but for summer I am usually on standard road tires.

BUT.... if you want to look hot, or at least your bike to look hot, go for those balloon tires.

Tigger in the snow

Tigger not in the snow
What size are these tires? They can't be 20",...
Old 02-12-21, 01:38 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by tds101
What size are these tires? They can't be 20",...
No, these are 24", and they are 1.75" wide if I remember correctly. Currently the knobblies are sitting on my farm bike, where they work very well since we have only one strip of tarmac into our village and none in our yard.

When I next get a 20" bike in I do plan on using something fatter, just for the look.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 02-12-21, 10:26 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Geepig
No, these are 24", and they are 1.75" wide if I remember correctly. Currently the knobblies are sitting on my farm bike, where they work very well since we have only one strip of tarmac into our village and none in our yard.

When I next get a 20" bike in I do plan on using something fatter, just for the look.
Nice! I have Schwalbe Big Apple (20x2.15" & 26x2.15") tires on a couple folders, as well as Maxxis Hookworm's (20x2.1" & 16x1.95") on some of the others. Schwalbe is comfort, and Maxxis is speed. Plus I own a 29er with Schwalbe Big Ben tires (I believe they're sized at 28x2.25", but it's the same as the 29er sized tire), and some Continental tires on my Puma Biomega Nevis (built like a TANK!!! Takes either 700c OR 29er tires as well).
Old 02-15-21, 03:57 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by tds101
Nice! I have Schwalbe Big Apple (20x2.15" & 26x2.15") tires on a couple folders, as well as Maxxis Hookworm's (20x2.1" & 16x1.95") on some of the others. Schwalbe is comfort, and Maxxis is speed. Plus I own a 29er with Schwalbe Big Ben tires (I believe they're sized at 28x2.25", but it's the same as the 29er sized tire), and some Continental tires on my Puma Biomega Nevis (built like a TANK!!! Takes either 700c OR 29er tires as well).
I could do with a pair of wide 24" 36 hole rims, as one of my frames has a BMX type front fork for some unknown reason, and I really fancy seeing what I can squeeze between the seat stays
Likes For Geepig: