Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Style versus Tradition versus what we are used to...

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-25-15, 07:46 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I have fallen backwards into liking these SSs as much as I do. Now, I am updating mine to get the look a bit better from my perspective. I asked for and got great feedback. Yet, after reading that and some C&V stuff and some roadie stuff, I was left wondering how much of this is just traditions some folks cannot get past or what people have come to expect. Our current styles are both loved and hated by equal quantities. Someone who loves the styling of a Venge is unlikely to like a C&V, even if it is a great example, and vice versa. Maybe someone needs to write a rule book, for some to follow and others to make fun of....

So, what camp are you in? Why? Do you even know your prejudices? And, can you honestly say you just do not care (knowing some folks will lie about this question)?
Old 07-25-15, 10:11 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
office_space.jpg (37.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-25-15, 10:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
It's very simple to me. It's bike, you turn the pedals to make it go. If you do that often and long enough, it'll eventually wear out, and you'll get another. Looks don't matter, as long as it goes when you turn the pedals, nothing else matters.

Of course you want it to be easy to turn those pedals for many hours, so mechanical considerations do count, but that's not difficult.

Yes, I'm not lying. I don't care and I never cared.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-25-15, 10:31 PM
Kindaslow

A few examples. It appears that gumwalls are popular and viewed as "attractive" right now in the FG/SS world. I personally think of my childhood bikes when I see them, and I do not see them as attractive. For a lot of folks in the C&V world, Japanese parts on an old Italian or French bike is a sin, but for some of them it is a great way to get use out of a pretty old frame. In the Roadie world, the thought of clip pedals (yes a personal example) makes some of them cut their legs shaving. Yet, a lot of folks would not really notice a power delivery difference. Sorry, no good examples from the MTBing world.
Old 07-25-15, 10:32 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's very simple to me. It's bike, you turn the pedals to make it go. If you do that often and long enough, it'll eventually wear out, and you'll get another. Looks don't matter, as long as it goes when you turn the pedals, nothing else matters.

Of course you want it to be easy to turn those pedals for many hours, so mechanical considerations do count, but that's not difficult.

Yes, I'm not lying. I don't care and I never cared.
i am willing to believe you, if any of your older bikes have mismatched parts....
Old 07-25-15, 10:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
i am willing to believe you, if any of your older bikes have mismatched parts....
Mis matched how?

I tend to build bikes with straightforward groups because it's easier and cheaper, ie a Ti road bike with Chorus 10s. So they do start out with somewhat matched groups, however the rest is what I have laying around, or swiped from other bikes. But over time, they do get unmatched, ie. tires are replaced as needed, with whatever I have at the time. If I wreck a wheel, I'll rebuild, and often end up using a different rim.

But, my bikes don't get very unmatched, because they tend to last for years. My oldest still used bike is my track bike from 1969, and it's almost all original, except for the wheels (FB hub/Nisi rim front, SA 2s fixed hub/Mavic rim rear. (I sold the original wheel early on).

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-25-15, 10:50 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Mis matched how?

I tend to build bikes with straightforward groups because it's easier and cheaper, ie a Ti road bike with Chorus 10s. So they do start out with somewhat matched groups, however the rest is what I have laying around, or swiped from other bikes. But over time, they do get unmatched, ie. tires are replaced as needed, with whatever I have at the time. If I wreck a wheel, I'll rebuild, and often end up using a different rim.

But, my bikes don't get very unmatched, because they tend to last for years. My oldest still used bike is my track bike from 1969, and it's almost all original, except for the wheels (FB hub/Nisi rim front, SA 2s fixed hub/Mavic rim rear. (I sold the original wheel early on).
Sounds great to me. What motivated this thread for me, was that it appears that some folks truly care about what other people ride. I find that fascinating. And, it appears to me that a lot of this is based off of what people have gotten used to as "being" or "looking" right. Right being pretty darn squishy.
Old 07-25-15, 11:03 PM
FBinNY 

Sounds great to me. What motivated this thread for me, was that it appears that some folks truly care about what other people ride. I find that fascinating. And, it appears to me that a lot of this is based off of what people have gotten used to as "being" or "looking" right. Right being pretty darn squishy.
My "new" bike is 13 years old now and has seen it's share of rough service. Sometimes someone will ask about it, and I'll say how old it is. They'll sometimes say something like "looks it", not understanding that I'm proud that my bikes look well used (they are).

You had mentioned gum tires. I ride tubulars so have little choice about wall color when new, but all my tires are an uneven gray side wall from the aluminum dust washed out from the rims.

Old 07-25-15, 11:07 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always prefer chocolate chip cookies that are a little bit soft even though a lot of traditionalists prefer them a little crispy.
Old 07-25-15, 11:16 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
I always prefer chocolate chip cookies that are a little bit soft even though a lot of traditionalists prefer them a little crispy.
I LOVE CHEESECAKE a lot but only if it's of the cream cheese variety (get that ricotta otta here)
Old 07-25-15, 11:26 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
...it appears that some folks truly care about what other people ride. I find that fascinating.

I only care when they are riding something nicer than what I have and that rarely happens.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
112124650.5LVkkQAn.jpg (36.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by andr0id; 07-25-15 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 11:56 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
C&V does nothing for me. I like the more modern aero style frames.
Old 07-26-15, 04:15 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Like your bike, ride your bike. As long as it works for you and doesn't endanger yourself or others on the road, who cares?
Old 07-26-15, 05:33 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You start lots of threads homie.
Old 07-26-15, 05:53 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by t13
you start lots of really dumb threads homie.
ftfy
Old 07-26-15, 05:55 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
ftfy

Doh!
Old 07-26-15, 06:20 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I would rather see threads like this than which is better Leader or State.....or I am looking for the best fixie under $300. Those are far worse.
Old 07-26-15, 06:21 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree, totally.
Old 07-26-15, 07:49 AM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think anyone cares "what other people ride." It's unhelpful to describe it that way; they care whether bikes are as good as they can be. Of course not everyone cares so much about bikes, but everyone has ideals they want to see met, and is disappointed when they are not even approached. I also think people have ideas about appealing characteristics, for lack of a better word, that they like to see in bikes. Some people like simplicity and straightforwardness, others prefer complication and mystery. Some people prefer delicate subtlety, others prefer bold brashness. However, most can appreciate anything if it's done well enough, and most prefer some kind of balance.

People only get caught up in stereotypes of specific styles (e.g. "classic" or whatever) because a norm is established that addresses these preferences, as well as functionality, in ways that are readily recognized; a taste for something different has to be learned or acquired.
Old 07-26-15, 08:34 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I don't think anyone cares "what other people ride."
Are you reading the same forum as I am? I've seen jerks here comment on bikes where tire labels have been in the "wrong" place.
Old 07-26-15, 09:38 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by andr0id
I only care when they are riding something nicer than what I have and that rarely happens.

This might be the most honest answer ever given...
Old 07-26-15, 09:40 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by T13
You start lots of threads homie.
Sorry, I am on vacation and there are a lot of hours left after riding or hiking, reading, etcetera. I will be going back to work soon....
Old 07-26-15, 09:42 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by IAmSam
ftfy
Show the way to really smart threads....
Old 07-26-15, 09:45 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by mdarnton
Are you reading the same forum as I am? I've seen jerks here comment on bikes where tire labels have been in the "wrong" place.
This is what I have noticed, too. It is certainly not the majority, but enough to make me wonder. Also, I get a lot of folks totally hung up on my clip pedals on nice bikes, which also made me wonder.

T13, I am going on a long hike today, so no threads today....
Old 07-26-15, 10:20 AM
tomatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
FWIW, if you get a flat, it can make it easier to find out what caused the hole in a tube if you always line up the valve stem to the label. You can find the puncture location in the tube and then the corresponding thorn, etc. in the tire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.