Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road ID ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 07:50 PM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Road ID ?

Howdy All;

Just getting back into peddle-powered movement and the idea of
being 66 (soon to be 67), with COPD and being out an about in an
area where I've only lived for almost 3 years (it's very rural), and
English is a second language for the larger amount of the population
(Southwestern N.M.). So, ... not many folks know me, yea they've
seen me drive by in the pick-up, but they don't know me.

For those of you that do have a Road ID, what type of medical info. do
you consider imperative to include. Also, I'm getting all my health care
from the VA and if any of y'all do likewise and have moved you understand
how your records do NOT follow you from State to State or district to district.
There is NO National VA record deposit that I have been able to locate ...

Thoughts ... recommendations ... Ideas ???

Thanks for your consideration.

hank
Old 02-12-16, 09:17 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a little velcro wallet in my back jersey pocket. In it I have a photo of my drivers license and some cash. My phone is in the pocket on the other side. My hope is that if someone finds me unconscious on the side of the road they will
1. Use my phone to call 911
2. give my location, apparent condition and ID info to the 911 operator
3. talk to me by name, saying that help is on the way.
4 If #3 is beyond them, then they are welcome to the cash, providing they completed #'s 1 and 2.
Old 02-12-16, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I carry my regular wallet, with IDs, emergency contact info, etc. Sometimes I leave my debit card at home and carry enough cash for minor emergencies. I've considered getting a thinner wallet of synthetic material since my leather wallet gets damp when I carry it in my pocket rather than in the handlebar bag. But it's a hassle swapping stuff between wallets, and a risk of forgetting something important.

Regarding emergency medical care, there's always a risk anywhere that we won't be covered. When I worked for the federal government and had various HMO plans (Sanus, Cigna, etc.), I was surprised to discover my insurance did not cover anything other than major emergencies when I was on duty away from my home city. My job involved travel throughout north central Texas, and occasional travel to Chicago for training, but I wasn't covered for anything other than major medical issues, and even then only with prior approval -- which would be difficult to obtain in an emergency if I was unconscious or otherwise unable to call the insurance company for approval.
Old 02-12-16, 11:00 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I prefer the Road ID. Actually, I still have mine on from this morning. I wear it whenever I ride. I usually ride to the gym every weekday morning, and wear the RI instead of packing my wallet. In an accident your wallet or phone may not end up anywhere near you.

My wife and I bike tour for extended periods, and have been using RI for 9 years.8

I have the following info on mine:
Full name, yr.of birth, city, state, country,home phone, wife,s first name and phone, critical medication, organ donor, allergy, blood type.

It all fits on the regular size wrist band.
Old 02-13-16, 05:08 AM
billbunton

Bikes: '09 Specialized Roubaix Pro SRAM, '11 BMC RM-01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Road ID Interactive. So the band or dog tags have my name and year of birth, my wife's name and phone number, plus the phone number and website to go to go get the info on my. At the website I've got the profile almost fully completed (they keep adding new information, and I think I'm lacking a passport number at the moment).
Old 02-13-16, 06:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
I leave my house, the Road ID is on my wrist....period. Information provided when accessing the site was helpful to the ER personel when I was in the ER following the bike crash when I broke my neck.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-15-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 07:12 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My RoadID is always on my wrist when I'm on the bike. It contains the usual (my name, address, and emergency contact name with phone). It has "Stent in Mid-LAD" in the bottom line.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 02-13-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:19 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I almost always ride solo and have a Road ID on my left ankle, (hate 'stuff' on my arms/fingers). They had a special on colored bands awhile back, so I'll ride with a contrasting color to whatever kit I'm using that day, (usually either red or black). I do not carry my wallet, but do carry about $30 in a little baggie with a slip of paper with emergency contact info. Here is what is on my Road ID:

First Middle Last / 1951
Palmdale, CA USA
Jane 800-555-1212 Friend
Jim 800-555-1234 Brother
Kaiser #7240000 - NKA
Diabetic T2 - O Pos Blood

That should have everything important when they find my crumpled body laying along the side of the road. Health insurance info, No Known Allergies, blood type, age, diabetic desig., and contact info. "USA" because of riding in foreign countries.

Last edited by volosong; 02-13-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 02:14 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got the Road ID with the usual contact information and Heart Attack and Stent with the date. I also have my blood thinner and beta blocker noted. I also wear a dog tag with the same information.
Old 02-13-16, 02:48 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I use a credit card with excellent travel health/accident insurance. I write my blood type, etc. on my chest with a Sharpie. My bypass scar will be self-explanatory.
Old 02-13-16, 04:44 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My Rode ID is on my wrist as long as I'm on the bike. Period! On the tag I have:
  • my name / year of birth
  • city of residence (there may be more people with my name)
  • wife's phone number
  • daughter's phone number
  • See JV-PM Hx in iPhone Notes app

The last line tells the first responders where all my medical information is located and to take the phone with them. I don't lock my phone so they won't be needing a passcode to get to the information. In my phone's Notes app, I have a complete medical history including residence info, medical info, medications and allergies, doctor's names and contacts and insurance info. My phone sits on my aerobars so it's not like they have to search for it.

I can tell you this, as a retired paramedic, it's not a good idea to carry your ID and medical info in a wallet stuck in your jersey pocket unless others riding with you know to tell the first responders where it's located. It's even a worse idea to put your wallet in your saddle bag because no one will bother looking for it. If you are unresponsive, the first responders primary purpose is to get you to the hospital in the shortest time possible and not to look for your identification. Jerseys are cut off and left on the scene and first responders will not take the time to go looking for a wallet in this situation. You will be admitted as a John Doe until someone on the scene finds the wallet and gives it to law enforcement to take to the ER. Unfortunately, at times, it may be too late; especially where allergies to medications are concerned. If you don't carry a smart phone on your rides then get the Road ID with the 800 number on it so they can call the number and get all your medical history. Of course, if your responsive after a crash, all this is a moot point since you can give them the information yourself. But still carry a RoadID.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-13-16, 06:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
My Rode ID is on my wrist as long as I'm on the bike. Period! On the tag I have:
  • my name / year of birth
  • city of residence (there may be more people with my name)
  • wife's phone number
  • daughter's phone number
  • See JV-PM Hx in iPhone Notes app

The last line tells the first responders where all my medical information is located and to take the phone with them. I don't lock my phone so they won't be needing a passcode to get to the information. In my phone's Notes app, I have a complete medical history including residence info, medical info, medications and allergies, doctor's names and contacts and insurance info. My phone sits on my aerobars so it's not like they have to search for it.

I can tell you this, as a retired paramedic, it's not a good idea to carry your ID and medical info in a wallet stuck in your jersey pocket unless others riding with you know to tell the first responders where it's located. It's even a worse idea to put your wallet in your saddle bag because no one will bother looking for it. If you are unresponsive, the first responders primary purpose is to get you to the hospital in the shortest time possible and not to look for your identification. Jerseys are cut off and left on the scene and first responders will not take the time to go looking for a wallet in this situation. You will be admitted as a John Doe until someone on the scene finds the wallet and gives it to law enforcement to take to the ER. Unfortunately, at times, it may be too late; especially where allergies to medications are concerned. If you don't carry a smart phone on your rides then get the Road ID with the 800 number on it so they can call the number and get all your medical history. Of course, if your responsive after a crash, all this is a moot point since you can give them the information yourself. But still carry a RoadID.
Will your phone still be on your bars after an accident?
Old 02-13-16, 10:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I'm fortunate to have no significant medical issues - the cheap dog tag on a neck chain that I wear 24/7 has my name & address and ICE/wife's name and cell number.
Agree that ID/info on your person while cycling is #1 if injury or accident makes you non-communicative. I usually have my wallet in a bag on the bike but the dog tag is always under my shirt.
If you end up in the care of EMS or ED personnel, yes any significant medical info could be helpful but immediate lifesaving care will happen with or without ID or medical info.
Blood type? That info would never be used to determine what type blood is transfused. If there is no time for crossmatching, then type O negative blood is sometimes given.
Old 02-14-16, 12:04 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V

Glad that you reposted - the topic was covered a year ago or so. Your comments were the reason my wife and I got Road ID's. We have the usual contact information for each other on them. My wife is dilligent to ask if I'm wearing the Road ID before heading out for a ride, and I usually reply "yes, I have my Road Kill badge on". Hopefully will never need to use it ... but the odds are ...
Old 02-14-16, 12:10 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hankaye
Howdy All;

English is a second language for the larger amount of the population
(Southwestern N.M.). So, ... not many folks know me, yea they've
seen me drive by in the pick-up, but they don't know me.

For those of you that do have a Road ID, what type of medical info. do
you consider imperative to include. Also, I'm getting all my health care
from the VA and if any of y'all do likewise and have moved you understand
how your records do NOT follow you from State to State or district to district.
There is NO National VA record deposit that I have been able to locate ...

Thoughts ... recommendations ... Ideas ???

Thanks for your consideration.

hank
Wife's cell phone number, HMO, Medical File #. I got road ID because I run and carry virtually nothing.
Old 02-14-16, 12:15 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hankaye
Howdy All;

English is a second language for the
Yeah I can see where all the extra ID info you could carry..... Might not be a bad idea.
Old 02-14-16, 06:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Been wearing a RoadID since 2012, started with the standard version, had the particulars about my various health issues, and my contact information on the plate. I went to the Interactive version in early 2014, glad that I did as I got my diagnosis for Parkinson's Disease in November 2014. My wife has the same version, she uses the slim line band that you see on the race commentators during the TdF, etc. My neurologist noticed mine during a visit, he wanted the details about them, for dementia and Alzheimer's patients to wear. I keep mine on all of the time, I rotate between several different colored web bands.

They have several different types, the web type bands, slim line (rubber,) shoe lace attachment pouches, dog tags, and a few others as well. Good folks, fast service and it gives Monica peace of mind to know that my medical data is accessible for the medical professionals. I also have the smartphone app that will send a text to your contact person should you not move for a specified amount of time, this is GPS based.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-14-16, 08:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Thanks for the thread and the timely reminder.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-14-16, 08:20 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
All my medical info is on-line in My Chart 'MyChart' so my user ID and password will get ER people to everything but family contact info.
Other medical systems use different on-line programs.
Only problem is prescription information has never been correct.
Old 02-14-16, 08:50 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This is what I went with:

•my name / year of birth
•city of residence
•wife's cellphone number
•Son's cellphone number
•Health Ins Name and Number
Old 02-14-16, 09:58 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Will your phone still be on your bars after an accident?
Luckily, I have not been in a crash involving a motor vehicle but I have been in some pretty good crashes with other bikes and while riding solo. As of yet, my phone has never fallen out of the case it's in nor has the case ever left the mount. That's not to say it won't ever happen but so far it hasn't. I think that the type of case you use and the way it's mounted has a lot to do with losing a phone during a crash.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-14-16, 11:00 AM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
BTW, for an extra $5 they will etch additional info on the back of the RoadID tag. You have to e-mail them about doing this. The last line on the front of the tag on mine (and my wife's) says "MORE INFO ON BACK!", so I essentially have 11 lines of info. Also I think it is better to have full date of birth (rather than just the year) as that is the key to medical records, especially with duplicate names.

I also use the FREE RoadID app so my wife is notified if I stop for more than 5 minutes, e.g. lying in a ditch somewhere (you can manually suspend this feature if you stop somewhere for a break). She can check my location anytime too.

Last edited by dicktill; 02-14-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 11:48 AM
SirrusEliteDisc
Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the interactive version and wear it 24/7. A word of caution tough; some of the First Responders in small communities have no clue what a Road ID is so make sure it stands out from the other "bands" you are wearing.

Last edited by SirrusEliteDisc; 02-14-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-14-16, 12:23 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I use a road ID bracelet. Got it after I went unconius while riding due to dehydration on a local bike path. Luckily the person that found me also found my phone and called my wife after calling 911. Now I do not leave home on the bike without it on my wrist. Also bought wife one to wear.
Have name, wife's phone number, daughter in law's phone, medical info ( am diabetic)
Old 02-14-16, 01:49 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame

I also have the smartphone app that will send a text to your contact person should you not move for a specified amount of time, this is GPS based.

Bill
What's the name of the app? Sounds interesting.

A friend of mine has an app on his iphone that allows his wife to see where he is while he's out riding. Not sure if it sends text msgs though.

I use an Android phone, will have to check the Google Play store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.