Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone enjoy recreational riding the rain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 02:08 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Pretty much what the title asks: is there anyone that actually enjoys riding in the rain? Where when you just want to go out for your normal after work or weekend morning or whatever is a normal ride for you, you look out the window and see the wetness, it doesn't change your plans, and perhaps even excites you?

I'm not talking about situations where you have little choice. I've done it on tour when there was really no option. I've done it on charity or group rides where I was already committed in one way or another. I've done it when I commuted on a bike, sat around somewhere a while, and in that time the weather changed. I just can't generally bring myself to go out when I know I am going to get wet just for the sake of riding. Just curious how many people still go out and ride as they normally do, and smile when doing it!

And no, this is in no way affected by looking out my office window at dark clouds and a radar map of green coming my way, and debating whether I ride in a storm or sit in rush hour traffic I normally avoid by riding for a while
Old 09-08-16, 02:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
No.

But many people enjoy bragging about it.
Old 09-08-16, 02:21 PM
SHK

Bikes: 13 Raleigh Cadent FT1/ 16 Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me strange but I used to love riding the trail behind my old place right whenever a thunderstorm was about to hit or starting to subside. Something about that smell in the air with the eerie lighting and wind blowing gets the adrenaline pumping a little.
Old 09-08-16, 02:22 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.

Some of my most memorable rides include rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1382-Edit.jpg (99.0 KB, 353 views)
Old 09-08-16, 02:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I'll usually pass on the optional rides (not commuting, or I didn't pay an entry fee) if it's raining. That said, when it's a gentle shower and it's been hot as heck for a month, a rain ride is sometimes quite nice!
Old 09-08-16, 02:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on an unusually cool August afternoon I rode a new-to-me bike home in the rain. First bike I've owned with fenders. Actually made the ride somewhat pleasant. And I had my rain jacket on, although at temps over 60F I get just as wet from sweating.
Old 09-08-16, 02:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I wear glasses, so I prefer not to ride in the rain.
Old 09-08-16, 02:47 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll usually pass on the optional rides (not commuting, or I didn't pay an entry fee) if it's raining. That said, when it's a gentle shower and it's been hot as heck for a month, a rain ride is sometimes quite nice!
this! Don't like to do it but the few times I've been caught in a quick sun shower it's been just dandy
Old 09-08-16, 02:50 PM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I wear glasses, so I prefer not to ride in the rain.
Same. I don't mind if a gentle misty rain happens mid ride, but if I look out the window and see it's currently raining (like this morning) I go "nope nope nope".
Old 09-08-16, 02:57 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I call it commuting.
Old 09-08-16, 03:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
OP excluded both commuting and getting caught out, as I understand ti---the question was does anyone, seeing it is already raining, decide to go riding, and if so, does rain weigh the choice to wards "yes."

For me, n. I don't mind it, and like most longtime riders here have done many, many a mile in ugly weather ... but as a rule, I think of soaking wet shoes which won't dry by the next ride and that ends the discussion.

I hope (now that I own another pair of shoes) to be a little braver about it this fall, because I lose too many good bike days ... it always seems to rain just when i have time to ride.

However, I find rain-riding generally isn't quite as relaxing---too many added things to consider, and mostly safety-related so they Have to be considered ... and when it rains hard. I can't see if I don't have eyewear and can't see if I do, which is something of a situation when traveling swiftly along a wet road.
Old 09-08-16, 03:33 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends if its a warm or cold rain.

Like riding in the rain on a August afternoon in Phoenix is pretty awesome as long as it's not flooding. Riding in the rain on a November afternoon in Michigan would not be awesome.

Old 09-08-16, 03:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Every now and then, yes. Most of the time, god no.
Old 09-08-16, 03:57 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
You have fenders, and it is fun.
Old 09-08-16, 04:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yes and no. Mostly no.
But I do like the brag, upon completion.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-08-16, 04:03 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day as I was riding is a light sprinkle, it was sprinkling when I started, that it was quite pleasant. I was riding on the MUP. I only saw a couple of other people on the trail, zero pedestrians. I did have a rain coat on and have fenders on this bike.
Old 09-08-16, 04:06 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I don't know about "fun" but here we have passing showers aka "mauka showers" and they aren't bad if it weren't for the cleanup afterwards. Also agree that when I have to look over my glasses I'm kind of riding blind.

scott s.
Old 09-08-16, 04:51 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No doubt. Me not.
Old 09-08-16, 04:57 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I do not enjoy riding in the rain, but living in the pacific northwest I do ride in the rain a bunch,
Old 09-08-16, 05:26 PM
Yellowbeard

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I love rainy days in general and I go riding on them occasionally, with a few caveats:

-Have to have fenders on. Hate the constant splashing against the downtube, seattube and arse otherwise. I use Crud Roadracers for my road bike and they're great, but it sucks trying to mount them for an impromptu ride.

-No street clothes. Full lycra kit is the most comfortable in the rain. I don't own any raingear.

-Temperature has to be high enough. I like rain, but I don't like freezing in it.
Old 09-08-16, 06:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Riding in the what now?
Old 09-08-16, 06:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Man, I was expecting at least one person to come out and tell me they're the crazy one that would rather be out in a downpour!

Originally Posted by benaroundawhile
Some of my most memorable rides include rain.
Actually brought me to a follow up question I forgot to originally ask, to see if there was any difference between those on road bikes and those on mountain bikes.

Originally Posted by Leebo
I call it commuting.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
OP excluded both commuting and getting caught out, as I understand ti---the question was does anyone, seeing it is already raining, decide to go riding, and if so, does rain weigh the choice to wards "yes."

For me, n. I don't mind it, and like most longtime riders here have done many, many a mile in ugly weather
Yep, I was going for more of a if you are just going out for fun ride, with no reason you have to go other than you want to, do you still do it. Commuting and touring is more of a you have to do it, not much way around it. I view that as a bit different.

Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
Yes, I love rainy days in general and I go riding on them occasionally, with a few caveats:

-Have to have fenders on. Hate the constant splashing against the downtube, seattube and arse otherwise. I use Crud Roadracers for my road bike and they're great, but it sucks trying to mount them for an impromptu ride.

-No street clothes. Full lycra kit is the most comfortable in the rain. I don't own any raingear.

-Temperature has to be high enough. I like rain, but I don't like freezing in it.
Yeah, I learned most of that on a tour that turned out to be three and a half days of rain out of five total, with the exception of having raingear. By the time I did, rain became far more tolerable, although I still can't say I particularly enjoy it.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Riding in the what now?
In some parts of the country, water falls from the sky onto you when you are trying to enjoy the outdoors. Shocking concept, I know
Old 09-08-16, 06:38 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have never actually started out on a ride... in the rain.

I have, and do, ride when I know there is a good chance of rain occurring while I am out riding. Mainly because so many days carry a rain warning of some percentage of a chance. I'd miss too many days riding if I avoided days with some chance of rain... or distance dark clouds. So... I do ride in the rain.

I don't like riding when there is lighting! I do like feeling like a bad ass (LOL) riding during a storm. I don't like getting really cold.
Old 09-08-16, 06:43 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One time when we were teenagers we went riding in the rain through big puddles and stuff. Was fun but i think I did get terribly sick after that. Pretty sure there was a photohut in the parking lot.
Old 09-08-16, 06:44 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
Same. I don't mind if a gentle misty rain happens mid ride, but if I look out the window and see it's currently raining (like this morning) I go "nope nope nope".
It's bad enough when it's cool but humid out in the morning and my glasses keep fogging up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.