Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2017 Randonnees

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 06:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
2017 Randonnees

2017 Randonnees

The 2017 Randonneuring season began on November 1, so if you're riding randonnees this year, tell us about them.

Are you riding a Super Randonneur series with the hopes of getting into a 1200K randonnee later this year? Or are you just riding the randonnees for the fun, challenge, adventure, etc.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some Links ...

The "Les Randonneur Mondiaux" event calendar ...
les randonneurs Mondiaux

The "Les Randonneur Mondiaux" home page ...
les randonneurs Mondiaux

BC Randonneurs Links page ...
Randonneur Links

Audax Australia's Links page ...
Links

Audax UK's Links page ...
Randonneur sites

Audax Club Parisien's Links page ...
Offical Web Site of Audax Club Parisien

Randonneur USA's Links page ...
RUSA: Links

Last edited by Machka; 12-17-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 06:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday 6 November -- We cycled the Ranelagh Ramble Randonnee today. It is the first ride of the season and described as, "A lovely amble around some of the more delightful roads that the Huon Valley has to offer. Some gravel, a few hills and a bakery to begin and end the ride."

"They" also threw wind, rain, and a range of temperatures into the mix.

Distance: 98.4 km
Elevation: 1080 metres
Moving time: 5 hours 26 minutes 47 seconds ... 18.1 km/h average speed.
Elapsed time: 5 hours 51 minutes 42 seconds

Old 12-04-16, 06:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- Derwent 100K Permanent ... and Ride 2 of the Petite Year Round Randonneur

Since this was a Permanent, we had a route (which we adjusted with the blessing of the route owner), but we were allowed to choose the date and start time.

We chose today and 10 am.

Our ride had a theme ... Hurry Up and Wait!

We set off more or less downhill in the beginning at quite a brisk pace ... and came to a halt a few km down the road to wait for our turn at road construction.

Back on our way again, and down into Sandy Bay, through the traffic, up the hill, and dropping down into Salamanca. Saturdays are Salamanca Market days and we landed right in the middle of it all. So, we were off the bicycles and walking briskly through the market.
City of Hobart | Salamanca Market

Back on the bicycles again, we rounded the foreshore on the sort of, almost, bicycle path weaving between the pedestrians. (it's a bit puzzling where the pedestrians are supposed to be and where the bicycles are supposed to be) Then onto the Cycleway ... we were flying along!

I had to take a short break a few km up the Cycleway, and as we pulled in, a long line of people on bicycles, who didn't look like bicycling was their thing, moved slowly onto the Cycleway. Over the new few km we passed them all, but added to the confusion and congestion was another cycling club who had been out earlier and was on their way back. Plus the fact that the traffic we encountered at the road intersections was thick ... Christmas shopping perhaps? There were a lot of long stops at those intersections as we and these groups of cyclists tried to inch our way through the traffic ... or dash suddenly when a small break opened up. Definitely kept things interesting! You had to pay attention!

At last we had moved through the congestion and were onto a relatively open stretch of the Cycleway and then onto the road and eventually out to the highway. We kept up a really good pace to New Norfolk and about 4.5 km beyond to get our 50 km, then we turned and returned to New Norfolk to have a quite bite to eat.

On the way back, the main feature were all the motorcyclists. We knew they'd be gathering! Every year about this time the Motorcycle Riders Association holds a Toy Run, and a lot of motorcyclists get involved.
Home of the Motorcycle Riders Associations of Tasmania - Motorcycle Riders Associations of Tasmania
So many of these motorcyclists who passed us were carrying large teddy bears or had their bicycles decorated for Christmas, and a few were dressed up as Santa.

Back onto the Cycleway again, and the road traffic congestion at the intersections was even thicker ... almost standstill for the motorists which worked for us because we just slipped through it all.

As we reached the Hobart end of the Cycleway, we had a bit of a chuckle at all the motorists completely stopped. The roads were closed for the Toy Run. It was announced ... I just don't understand why you'd get in your car and drive when one of the main roads, and several smaller roads, have been closed. But we had bicycles, so we were good.

We stopped atop a small hill for a bite to eat and to discuss some strategy. We could hear the motorcyclists congregating and doing their parade, and knew there'd be a whole lot of them ... hundreds, at least. And we knew that the main road, the one we usually use, would be full of them and we'd probably not have a chance up that way.

So we decided to hug the foreshore which involved quite a bit of weaving and dodging of pedestrians, a few other cyclists, and some random traffic. And then we arrived at Salamanca. The Market was just starting to pack up ... and that's where the motorcyclists were gathering and parking.

Off the bicycles and walking again, through it all and up a steep hill, and then we were on the last leg of the journey.

I had been pushing the speed most of the way, and with about 15 km to go, my legs started turning to mush. So that last leg of the journey was a little slower. But we got there!

Very interesting ride ... no time for daydreaming, something happening all day long!

And we were both on our titaniums ... zippy, quick bicycles.

Weather
Temp: 18C (although Rowan's on-bike temperature gauge indicated 21C at one point)
Conditions: partly cloudy. The sun came out enough that we got a touch of a sunburn!
Wind: mostly ESE and kind of SE 15 km/h gusting to about 22 km/h

Stats
Distance: 100.1 km
Moving Time: 4:58:11
Elapsed Time: 5:33:33
Elevation: 953 metres
Moving Speed: 20.2 km/h

Old 12-08-16, 08:14 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I am considering LEL in 2017.
Old 12-08-16, 09:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
The focus of 2017 will be a grand randonee and a 24-hour race. If I don't get in LEL, most likely I'll sign up for a US 1200k.

One challenge this summer will be to adapt to the West Texas heat.
Old 12-09-16, 06:22 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I'm one of the 400 lucky ones to have pre entered LEL.
To train for that I will do a super series.
Old 12-09-16, 07:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm planning to attempt a full series and a 1000k with Great Lakes Randonneurs in 2017. Our season doesn't start until April. Trying to get in 60-80 miles/week between rollers and rides outside until the spring thaw when I will start to ramp up the milage.
Old 12-09-16, 11:00 AM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try to do 100k thru 1000k this year, Oregon Randonneurs 2017 schedule is still listed as tentative, and starts in January. I'll be doing the STP this year again also. This will be my first year Randonneuring and I may fail spectacularly, though I have been training like a maniac for about 18 months now, we'll see.
Old 12-09-16, 11:44 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I'm hoping to do the granite anvil next year. I missed out on doing a 1000k this year which was on the books but I didn't get my act together early enough in the year. So far I've been better about keeping some activity going in the winter.
Old 12-16-16, 04:19 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2016 was my first SR; I am shooting for Granite Anvil as my first 1200k this year. For a hot second I was thinking of shooting for a Can-Am with the Taste of Carolinas in the fall, but I don't think the budget will allow it.

Long-term I'd like to go heavy this year and complete a RUSA Cup 2018, then PBP 2019.
Old 12-16-16, 08:58 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
No specific plans. Just riding like I've been doing, I should get my Galaxy award late next year (100,000k in RUSA events). I'm open to several different ideas (possibly 1200k, possibly randotour, possibly other), but would be a lot more interested in those if some of my friends were riding them too. Local riding will get me two or three series, tho, possibly a 1,000k if I opt for that.
Old 12-17-16, 07:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
The Nova Scotia 1000k looks interesting. Since I haven't completed a 600k in a couple of years, I might have to do that in 2017 before anyone lets me into a longer ride. Not sure about anything else other than a series. I'm trying to keep my fitness up over the winter so that the SR series is easier.
Old 12-17-16, 07:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Calendars & Schedules

The Les Randonneurs Mondiaux calendar for 2017 has been posted. These are the really long rides ...

https://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/30-Calendar.html

And the complete schedule of BRM events worldwide has been posted here on the ACP site ...

Offical Web Site of Audax Club Parisien - Schedule of BRM Worldwide
Old 12-17-16, 09:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The Seattle International Randonneurs (SIR) don't have their 2017 schedule up yet, but bevets and populairs don't start here until March, so no great rush. Meanwhile, there's the Winter Solstice Ride with 100k and 200k options, also known as Crazy People Ride Through The Year's Longest Night. It starts at 20:00. Forecast is 40° and a good chance of light rain. Might the the nicest weather for it that I remember.

After that, we have the Winter Training Series, which rather toughens one up for the challenges ahead. Cold and wet are the usual themes. Those weekly rides start at 35 miles on January 7 and work up to a century. One does not have to be a member of anything to participate in the WTS.
Rides
Old 12-18-16, 09:16 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I'll have my first randonnee of 2017 on the first Saturday of the year. It's a 200 km course (out and back) - along the Pacific coast between Zushi in Miura peninsula and Izukogen in Izu peninsula southwest of Tokyo. I've ridden this course before, but not as a brevet.

I expect it won't be much above freezing at the start, but that's no colder than my last few rides into the mountains this month.

Like in the previous years I'm aiming for the SR series, but the 600 (which I've unsuccessfully attempted 3 times) is still a stretch. I know I'll be travelling on business when my regular club will be doing their 400, so I will try different clubs for the 400 and perhaps also the 600. The 200 km on January 7 will be my first brevet with a different club.

I've also been invited to join a Fleche in May. I've never done one before though I've successfully completed two 400 km rides, each time doing over 360 km in under 24 hours. If I join it, I hope I won't slow down the team too much :-)
Old 12-19-16, 07:42 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
I'll have my first randonnee of 2017 on the first Saturday of the year. It's a 200 km course (out and back) - along the Pacific coast between Zushi in Miura peninsula and Izukogen in Izu peninsula southwest of Tokyo. I've ridden this course before, but not as a brevet.

I expect it won't be much above freezing at the start, but that's no colder than my last few rides into the mountains this month.

I've also been invited to join a Fleche in May. I've never done one before though I've successfully completed two 400 km rides, each time doing over 360 km in under 24 hours. If I join it, I hope I won't slow down the team too much :-)
The coastal rode in Izu-Hanto is very nice, I cycled there a few times myself, also not as a brevet.
Can you post pictures after the ride?
Old 01-01-17, 05:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

New Year's Day!!

Rowan and I are working on the Petite Year Round Randonneur challenge which involves riding 100 km events each month for a total of 1200 km. The Audax/Randonneuring new year starts in November, so we've already done two of them. We had all January to do the third, but Rowan will likely be busy at work for the month of January, so we decided to tackle our 100 km today.

The forecast was not good. All week long, the prediction was for rain on Sunday. So Saturday night, while watching Sydney ring in the new year on TV, I packed my rain gear.

It did rain just before we drove out to the start location, but it was just heavily overcast, moderately warm, and very humid (90%) when we started.

We had decided to ride a new Permanent route which I created just before Christmas and had added to the Audax Tasmania list. One of the reasons to ride it was to check it to make sure it would be all right for other riders. Another reason to ride it was because we were pretty sure it was a route we could handle. Many of the routes here in Tasmania are simply too hilly for me to complete within the time limit.

The first 10-ish km of the route is quite flat, and Rowan took off like a shot. It was all I could do to keep up!! I struggled a little bit on the first hill and in the interests of preserving my knees for things to come ... granny and I became friends. We remained friends all the way through!

Back onto the flat ground again, and flying along until we reached the next climb. And that one is a big one ... the biggest on the route. I've ridden it several times. As I recall, the first time I rode it, I had to walk part of it. The next time I rode it, I had to stop several times on the way up. The third time, I made it up. This time, I also made it up, but my legs were protesting loudly and I had to appease them with promises of pizza when this was all over. I was also wheezing. I have been diagnosed with EIA, which presents problems now and then, but I haven't wheezed going up a hill in a while. We suspect it was the high humidity level.

A fast downhill and flat section again, and then a hilly section which I had actually forgotten about. I could see it on the elevation profile, of course, but couldn't remember what they looked like. Steep rollers.

Our turn-around point was a little shop where we acquired Pepsi Max and potato chips.

Back over the steep rollers, a bit of a slog along the flat section into the wind, and then we headed back to the start on a different, slightly less hilly route. Not the really big hill. But by "less hilly", I mean there was still a whole lot of climbs ... up, and then levelling off, up, and then levelling off, round the corner, and up, and levelling off ... and up and up and up ... but it wasn't as steep.

Nevertheless, what with the speed we had been moving, and the climbing we had already done, my legs had begun to talk union and there were rumblings of strike action. Management stepped in, and bribed the legs with 2-month old jelly beans found in a little baggie in the bottom of the handlebar bag.

At last ... the top and a fast descent to flat ground again. A light misty sort of rain started, but fortunately nothing soaking. And with the warmth (19C), and level of humidity (90%), this light rain actually felt kind of good. The wind was a bit more annoying. And then, all of a sudden just before the next climb, the sun came out for about 30 seconds ... just long enough for me to think, "Oh good timing ... sun and humidity on a climb!" And then it went away. Oops!

The last little bit of the route was a loop to make up the distance, which turned out to be slightly hillier than I had anticipated. But we made it! I just kept telling my legs they could have something to eat as soon as we got back into town.

Summary
Distance: 101.9 km
Elevation: 702 metres according to Strava, 994 metres according to RWGPS
Elapsed Time: 5:35
Moving Time: 5:14

And the results of the ride checking exercise ... a few modifications required. One of the issues is that there are certain sections of the route which are quite busy. We think there are ways around some of these which would put riders onto quieter roads, and also make more natural turns (not crossing traffic).

We had lunch and then drove home, and on the way, the rain began in earnest. 33 mm of rain in the next 3.5 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is our February Petite Year Round Randonneur ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/19372719-post11.html

Last edited by Machka; 03-05-17 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-05-17, 03:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- Rowan and I cycled the Tour de Granny Gear (not the official name )

Distance - 212.7 km
Elevation - 2,123 m (6965 ft)
Moving Time - 11:40:27
Elapsed Time - 12:48:25
Speed - Avg: 18.2 km/h; Max: 50.4km/h
Heart Rate - Avg: 144bpm; Max: 176bpm

Queen of the Mountain on a 58.8 km segment.

Challenging ride.

Hills: According to Ride with GPS, there's over 2400 metres of climbing ... Strava's total is a bit lower. Nevertheless there were a number of significant climbs (Cat 3 and 4) and numerous lesser climbs.

Weather: The temperature hit 29C, officially. My on-bike thermometer showed 37C at one point. Whatever it was ... it was surprisingly and unexpectedly hot. And believe me, slogging up a long Cat 3 climb in that heat was definitely more of a challenge than expected. And then we were hit with a strong sea breeze right at the end. Didn't need that.

Ride Length: Because of a last minute route change, the length of the route changed from about 203 km to 212 km, and yet it had to be completed within the same amount of time that a 200 km ride would be completed in. So not only were we faced with more hills than I usually do on a 200 km, but also 12 extra km.

But despite the challenges, it was a good ride. Although it was hot, at least we didn't have rain or much wind throughout the ride (until near the end). Plus, the event was well supported and the route was good. The ride organiser went out of his way to make sure we were fed and watered throughout the event.

For example, I have a set of waterbottles which are rather old but I'm still using them. Today I had a new waterbottle and an old one. The old one cracked mid-ride, so I could only fill it halfway up. The ride organiser met us between controls to refill our bottles because he knew it was hot and I was working with 1.5 bottles instead of 2.

So that's our March Century done and also my 32nd 200K.

Old 03-30-17, 11:21 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I am hoping to ride my very first brevet (a 200K) at the end of April. My longest ride to date was an imperial century (actually 111 miles including riding to and from the start) last August. I haven't done any road bike cycling since early November so I'm a little nervous about my fitness level with only a month to prepare. I'm going to try a 50 mile ride this weekend and see how that goes. Hopefully, this stuff is like riding a bicycle and comes back quickly!

I know this is small stuff to all you Super Randonneurs, but I am still at the point where even a 200K seems like a formidable (but achievable) challenge!
Old 04-04-17, 11:59 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
I know this is small stuff to all you Super Randonneurs, but I am still at the point where even a 200K seems like a formidable (but achievable) challenge!
For me there are no "easy" brevets, even after 5 years of randonneuring.

Sure, some brevets will leave me with more spare time at the finish than others and no real worries about making PC closing times, but any one day ride of an imperial century or more, particularly with time limits, is a challenge! But that's the whole point, we're not doing this because it was easy :-)

I'm signed up for a 200 this coming Saturday that I've done several times before. It climbs to 1100 m (3700 ft) of elevation near Mt Fuji from sea level at Tokyo, then a 20 km (12 mi) unbroken descent that ends at PC2. I have never made PC2 on this course with more than 15-20 minutes spare, 130 km (80 mi) from the start. PC3 has been similarly tight. The current weather forecast for the whole day is either "rain" or "light rain". Oh, well :-)
Old 04-16-17, 08:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Quick summary ... more detailed report to come.

This weekend was a 5-part saga.

Part 1 - Cycle a 300 km randonnee. Check! Completed on Good Friday. Rolled in at 11 pm - 17 hours of cycling.

Part 2 - Support riders on 300 km randonnee. Check! Completed on Saturday. We saw them off at 6 am, napped, then headed out to find them on the road.

Park 3 - Cycle a 200 km randonnee. Check! Completed today ... about an hour and a half ago - 12 hours and 11 min of cycling.

Part 4 - Relax. Commenced now.

Part 5 - Do some route checking for 400 km randonnee. We'll do that on Tuesday and it will be done by car.

So ... 500 km of cycling in just over 60 hours ... with a day off in between.
Old 04-19-17, 05:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Campbell Town Canter – Easter Adventure Weekend
300K & 200K

Part 1 - Cycle a 300 km randonnee. Completed on Good Friday. Rolled in at 11 pm - 17 hours of cycling.

Part 2 - Support riders on 300 km randonnee. Completed on Saturday. We saw them off at 6 am, napped, then headed out to find them on the road.

Park 3 - Cycle a 200 km randonnee. Completed on Sunday. Rolled in at 12 hours and 11 min of cycling.

Part 4 – Relax … plus a little walking.

Part 5 – Route checking for the upcoming 400 km.

We rode the 300 km as a Vollies ride on Good Friday to check the route and so that we could support the riders on Saturday.

We were fortunate to have a clear day with sunshine, and then later a near-full moon and lots of stars. We had a start temp of about 5C, a high of about 17C, and then a chilly night. And wind … we did, of course, have some wind.

I’m not a morning person, but chose a 6 am start because I like starting just before sunrise. There’s something about starting in the dark and riding while the sky gets light which I enjoy. And a randonnee is pretty much the only time you’ll see me up at that hour!

We cycled through a patch of fog at the bottom of small valley and then round a round-about and onto a lovely, scenic, somewhat hilly road heading south. It’s autumn and the leaves are turning, so we had the beautiful colours of the leaves and the orange of the sky at sunrise. When we topped the little hills, we caught views over the valley toward the mountains. And partway up one of the hills, a wallaby leapt out of the undergrowth and hopped up the road in front of me for a while.

We sailed through the little town of Longford and onto roads which remind of me of some of the cycling I’ve done in the UK with hawthorn hedges on either side. There’s a little wooden bridge we needed to negotiate on foot, and then we were onto the long road down to Campbell Town.

On the map, the road looks as though there are many intersections by the number of 90 degree turns along the way, but instead the road just follows property boundaries. Stay on the paved road, go straight through the few intersections there are, and you’ll be right. The road starts reasonably flat and gets hillier toward Campbell Town, but the really nice thing about that road is the lack of traffic.

We had a quick stop in Campbell Town and travelled up the Midlands Hwy to the turn that would take us out to St Marys.

The last time we cycled to St Marys, there was hardly any traffic on the road at all. This time it was really busy … just about bumper to bumper campers, large 4WDs, and SUVs pulling boats and caravans and all travelling between 80 and 100 km/h. We figured the whole of Launceston had headed out to the east coast. Fortunately there is something of a shoulder for much of the way, but nevertheless the constant traffic became somewhat annoying. We needed the break in St Marys!

Traffic was a little lighter on the way back to the Midlands Hwy, especially as we went further along, but let’s just say there were all sorts of odd people behind the wheel on Good Friday!

Another strange thing about that road are the signs. As you leave St Marys, the sign tells you that Fingal is 20 km away and Avoca is 48 km away. When you leave the dot-on-map town of Fingal, the sign says that Avoca is 20 km away. So there you are, at about 23 km from Fingal wondering where on earth Avoca has gotten to! The whole town couldn’t have gotten up and moved while you were eating ice cream in St Marys, could it?

The sun was just going down when we reached the Midlands Hwy and fortunately the traffic there was not too bad. Everyone was up the road on the east coast! About 10 km later, we turned a corner and were back onto the very-quiet back roads.

We had stopped just before we made that turn, and someone pulled up to see if we were all right. He said he was a cyclist too, and just wanted to check on us since we were out there after dark. That was nice.

Onward into the quiet part of the night and this was when the wildlife started coming out. A pair of possums over here, wallabies over there, a white rabbit hopping across the road … was that the Easter Bunny or were we suddenly part of Alice in Wonderland … and a white owl standing in the middle of the road.

And the twanging! The fields on either side are fenced and the sheep sometimes lean up against the fences so as we cycle past, they run away and their wool catches on the fence a bit which makes the wires twang. At times, it’s a wallaby coming through the fence then changing direction as we approach. At first it was startling, but after a while I got used to it and just readied myself in case a wallaby did suddenly appear on the road.

Back to the wooden bridge, back through Longford, and back to the start via the slightly less hilly road … and we were done before 11 pm!

I felt great! I felt like I could have kept going! Until about 5 minutes after we had stopped when all of a sudden, a massive wave of nausea took over.

We figured we really hadn’t eaten enough. I hadn’t felt particularly well to start the ride and hadn’t been eating when I should have been, then didn’t eat much during the ride. I’ve discovered that on long rides, I’ve got a small window of opportunity when it comes to eating. If I feel hungry, I must eat at that moment. I’ve got about 10 minutes to work with. If I don’t eat in those 10 minutes, I’m really not hungry anymore and it’s a struggle to eat … and then it’s a downward spiral. We think this is what happened.

We got into our cabin, showered, and I forced down a really tasty chicken soup … and went to bed.

4.5 hours later, we were up again, gathering documents, and stumbling out into the cold darkness to meet the three brave riders who were about to tackle the 300 km and get them on their way. It was cold! One of the riders told us later that his thermometer read -2C at one point that morning.

After seeing Paul, Holly, and Mike on their way, we headed back to bed to catch up on some sleep. Several hours later, we set off in the van to find the three. Fortunately Paul had a spot tracker so we had a pretty good idea where he was, and since we drove the route backward, we were pretty sure the others were behind him. We set up in a convenient spot, and within the space of about an hour and a half, all three came by. Then it was time for dinner … time for us to build up some strength for tomorrow’s ride! And back to the finish to await the arrival of the riders, all of whom finished the event in really good time. Congratulations!

For the third day in a row we were up before dawn, and on the road again at 6 am. This time we were riding 200 km with a rider visiting from Victoria, Helen.

This was the warmest morning of the three, starting about 7C and warming to nearly 20C, but we had a fairly strong north wind.

The route took us to Longford on a different road from the 300 km for some variety, but then the rest of the way to Campbell Town was the same as the 300 km. Across the wooden bridge, and down the long road that starts relatively flat and then gets hillier as we get closer to Campbell Town. That north wind pushed us all the way and we arrived in Campbell Town with a decent amount of time banked … and we needed it.

The next part of the route headed north, on a different road, to Cressy … straight into the wind. That was a slog! I kept trying to push it a bit and keep my speed over 15 km/h so we wouldn’t lose any time, but there were places where it was difficult to pedal that quickly.

Helen had gone on ahead of us after Longford, but we caught up with her in Cressy and more or less rode with her the rest of the way. After a quick, but much needed break in Cressy, we were back into the wind again.

By the time we got to Bracknell, the flaw in my training plan had made itself evident. I needed to have done more core work. My back was so sore and cramping. At times I wondered if I were trying to pass another kidney stone. Other times it felt like my whole spine was trying to escape and go lie down somewhere. By the end of the ride, I hurt from my right shoulder all the way down to my right hip. Yep … before the next big ride, I need to start focusing on my core.

Fortunately soon after Bracknell, the road turns and starts to make its way toward Westbury. I don’t know if the wind died a bit by then or if it was the trees, but despite the fact that the route became a little hillier, our progress felt easier. Maybe it also had something to do with the fact that, for reasons I don’t entirely understand, I really like that particular road. I enjoy riding it.

When we reached Westbury, we all decided it was time for ice cream! That really hit the spot.

On the main road, the distance between Westbury and Hadspen, the start/finish point, is about 20 km, but we were taking the back road … the scenic route! And we had about 40 km to go. The scenic route is also a little hillier just to provide a last challenge. However, accompanying the climbs were long, beautiful descents making it all worthwhile.

We rolled into Hadspen after 12 hours and 11 minutes of cycling. Our 200 km was a little slower than others we’ve done recently, but not bad at all given the fact that we had ridden a 300 km two days before and given the wind we had to deal with.

Congratulations to Helen who finished another 200 km in her quest to complete another Year Round Randonneur, and for whom this was her first interstate event.

And then we rested!

A few additional comments …

My usual randonneuring bicycle is undergoing some drivetrain issues and so I had to use my back-up randonneuring bicycle, the one I usually use for shorter climbing rides. We had adjusted the handlebars slightly to see if we could remedy a hand problem I was having, and it did help. I still want better gloves and will have to contemplate the handlebar area fit a bit more.

In addition, I opted to use my winter cycling boots which have thicker soles and therefore at the 140 km point of the 300 km, we had to raise my saddle slightly because I started having knee issues. Raising the saddle seemed to solve the knee issue, but I wonder if the saddle and handlebar adjustments contributed to the back pain I was having. We will have to contemplate my whole fit on that bicycle.

Core work is definitely something I’ll need to work on as we prepare for a 400 km in a few months’ time.

And one other flaw in the plan … I was nauseated both morning and struggled to eat during the whole weekend. It didn’t dawn on me what the problem was until about mid-way through the 200 km. Before both rides, I had a milk-based protein shake. I’ve had them before but had them with lactaid tablets to neutralise the effect of the milk. This time I forgot to do that … oops!

But setting those issues aside, I am thrilled to have completed 500 km in two rides in the space of 60 hours!
Old 04-21-17, 07:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

The routes and profiles from last weekend ...

This was the 300 km ...

And this was the 200 km ...

Old 04-22-17, 06:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Campbell Town Canter – Easter Adventure Weekend
300K & 200K

Part 1 - Cycle a 300 km randonnee. Completed on Good Friday. Rolled in at 11 pm - 17 hours of cycling.

Part 2 - Support riders on 300 km randonnee. Completed on Saturday. We saw them off at 6 am, napped, then headed out to find them on the road.

Park 3 - Cycle a 200 km randonnee. Completed on Sunday. Rolled in at 12 hours and 11 min of cycling.

Part 4 – Relax … plus a little walking.

Part 5 – Route checking for the upcoming 400 km.

We rode the 300 km as a Vollies ride on Good Friday to check the route and so that we could support the riders on Saturday.

We were fortunate to have a clear day with sunshine, and then later a near-full moon and lots of stars. We had a start temp of about 5C, a high of about 17C, and then a chilly night. And wind … we did, of course, have some wind.

I’m not a morning person, but chose a 6 am start because I like starting just before sunrise. There’s something about starting in the dark and riding while the sky gets light which I enjoy. And a randonnee is pretty much the only time you’ll see me up at that hour!

We cycled through a patch of fog at the bottom of small valley and then round a round-about and onto a lovely, scenic, somewhat hilly road heading south. It’s autumn and the leaves are turning, so we had the beautiful colours of the leaves and the orange of the sky at sunrise. When we topped the little hills, we caught views over the valley toward the mountains. And partway up one of the hills, a wallaby leapt out of the undergrowth and hopped up the road in front of me for a while.

We sailed through the little town of Longford and onto roads which remind of me of some of the cycling I’ve done in the UK with hawthorn hedges on either side. There’s a little wooden bridge we needed to negotiate on foot, and then we were onto the long road down to Campbell Town.

On the map, the road looks as though there are many intersections by the number of 90 degree turns along the way, but instead the road just follows property boundaries. Stay on the paved road, go straight through the few intersections there are, and you’ll be right. The road starts reasonably flat and gets hillier toward Campbell Town, but the really nice thing about that road is the lack of traffic.

We had a quick stop in Campbell Town and travelled up the Midlands Hwy to the turn that would take us out to St Marys.

The last time we cycled to St Marys, there was hardly any traffic on the road at all. This time it was really busy … just about bumper to bumper campers, large 4WDs, and SUVs pulling boats and caravans and all travelling between 80 and 100 km/h. We figured the whole of Launceston had headed out to the east coast. Fortunately there is something of a shoulder for much of the way, but nevertheless the constant traffic became somewhat annoying. We needed the break in St Marys!

Traffic was a little lighter on the way back to the Midlands Hwy, especially as we went further along, but let’s just say there were all sorts of odd people behind the wheel on Good Friday!

Another strange thing about that road are the signs. As you leave St Marys, the sign tells you that Fingal is 20 km away and Avoca is 48 km away. When you leave the dot-on-map town of Fingal, the sign says that Avoca is 20 km away. So there you are, at about 23 km from Fingal wondering where on earth Avoca has gotten to! The whole town couldn’t have gotten up and moved while you were eating ice cream in St Marys, could it?

The sun was just going down when we reached the Midlands Hwy and fortunately the traffic there was not too bad. Everyone was up the road on the east coast! About 10 km later, we turned a corner and were back onto the very-quiet back roads.

We had stopped just before we made that turn, and someone pulled up to see if we were all right. He said he was a cyclist too, and just wanted to check on us since we were out there after dark. That was nice.

Onward into the quiet part of the night and this was when the wildlife started coming out. A pair of possums over here, wallabies over there, a white rabbit hopping across the road … was that the Easter Bunny or were we suddenly part of Alice in Wonderland … and a white owl standing in the middle of the road.

And the twanging! The fields on either side are fenced and the sheep sometimes lean up against the fences so as we cycle past, they run away and their wool catches on the fence a bit which makes the wires twang. At times, it’s a wallaby coming through the fence then changing direction as we approach. At first it was startling, but after a while I got used to it and just readied myself in case a wallaby did suddenly appear on the road.

Back to the wooden bridge, back through Longford, and back to the start via the slightly less hilly road … and we were done before 11 pm!

I felt great! I felt like I could have kept going! Until about 5 minutes after we had stopped when all of a sudden, a massive wave of nausea took over.

We figured we really hadn’t eaten enough. I hadn’t felt particularly well to start the ride and hadn’t been eating when I should have been, then didn’t eat much during the ride. I’ve discovered that on long rides, I’ve got a small window of opportunity when it comes to eating. If I feel hungry, I must eat at that moment. I’ve got about 10 minutes to work with. If I don’t eat in those 10 minutes, I’m really not hungry anymore and it’s a struggle to eat … and then it’s a downward spiral. We think this is what happened.

We got into our cabin, showered, and I forced down a really tasty chicken soup … and went to bed.

4.5 hours later, we were up again, gathering documents, and stumbling out into the cold darkness to meet the three brave riders who were about to tackle the 300 km and get them on their way. It was cold! One of the riders told us later that his thermometer read -2C at one point that morning.

After seeing Paul, Holly, and Mike on their way, we headed back to bed to catch up on some sleep. Several hours later, we set off in the van to find the three. Fortunately Paul had a spot tracker so we had a pretty good idea where he was, and since we drove the route backward, we were pretty sure the others were behind him. We set up in a convenient spot, and within the space of about an hour and a half, all three came by. Then it was time for dinner … time for us to build up some strength for tomorrow’s ride! And back to the finish to await the arrival of the riders, all of whom finished the event in really good time. Congratulations!

For the third day in a row we were up before dawn, and on the road again at 6 am. This time we were riding 200 km with a rider visiting from Victoria, Helen.

This was the warmest morning of the three, starting about 7C and warming to nearly 20C, but we had a fairly strong north wind.

The route took us to Longford on a different road from the 300 km for some variety, but then the rest of the way to Campbell Town was the same as the 300 km. Across the wooden bridge, and down the long road that starts relatively flat and then gets hillier as we get closer to Campbell Town. That north wind pushed us all the way and we arrived in Campbell Town with a decent amount of time banked … and we needed it.

The next part of the route headed north, on a different road, to Cressy … straight into the wind. That was a slog! I kept trying to push it a bit and keep my speed over 15 km/h so we wouldn’t lose any time, but there were places where it was difficult to pedal that quickly.

Helen had gone on ahead of us after Longford, but we caught up with her in Cressy and more or less rode with her the rest of the way. After a quick, but much needed break in Cressy, we were back into the wind again.

By the time we got to Bracknell, the flaw in my training plan had made itself evident. I needed to have done more core work. My back was so sore and cramping. At times I wondered if I were trying to pass another kidney stone. Other times it felt like my whole spine was trying to escape and go lie down somewhere. By the end of the ride, I hurt from my right shoulder all the way down to my right hip. Yep … before the next big ride, I need to start focusing on my core.

Fortunately soon after Bracknell, the road turns and starts to make its way toward Westbury. I don’t know if the wind died a bit by then or if it was the trees, but despite the fact that the route became a little hillier, our progress felt easier. Maybe it also had something to do with the fact that, for reasons I don’t entirely understand, I really like that particular road. I enjoy riding it.

When we reached Westbury, we all decided it was time for ice cream! That really hit the spot.

On the main road, the distance between Westbury and Hadspen, the start/finish point, is about 20 km, but we were taking the back road … the scenic route! And we had about 40 km to go. The scenic route is also a little hillier just to provide a last challenge. However, accompanying the climbs were long, beautiful descents making it all worthwhile.

We rolled into Hadspen after 12 hours and 11 minutes of cycling. Our 200 km was a little slower than others we’ve done recently, but not bad at all given the fact that we had ridden a 300 km two days before and given the wind we had to deal with.

Congratulations to Helen who finished another 200 km in her quest to complete another Year Round Randonneur, and for whom this was her first interstate event.

And then we rested!

A few additional comments …

My usual randonneuring bicycle is undergoing some drivetrain issues and so I had to use my back-up randonneuring bicycle, the one I usually use for shorter climbing rides. We had adjusted the handlebars slightly to see if we could remedy a hand problem I was having, and it did help. I still want better gloves and will have to contemplate the handlebar area fit a bit more.

In addition, I opted to use my winter cycling boots which have thicker soles and therefore at the 140 km point of the 300 km, we had to raise my saddle slightly because I started having knee issues. Raising the saddle seemed to solve the knee issue, but I wonder if the saddle and handlebar adjustments contributed to the back pain I was having. We will have to contemplate my whole fit on that bicycle.

Core work is definitely something I’ll need to work on as we prepare for a 400 km in a few months’ time.

And one other flaw in the plan … I was nauseated both morning and struggled to eat during the whole weekend. It didn’t dawn on me what the problem was until about mid-way through the 200 km. Before both rides, I had a milk-based protein shake. I’ve had them before but had them with lactaid tablets to neutralise the effect of the milk. This time I forgot to do that … oops!

But setting those issues aside, I am thrilled to have completed 500 km in two rides in the space of 60 hours!

I'll never catch up.
Old 04-24-17, 09:17 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Got my first 200K out of the way for 2017, it was a lovely day with a high near 20C and almost no wind. Took it slow since I hadn't been doing a lot of winter training.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.