Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How often do you check your mirror?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: How often do you check your mirror?
Never (don't use one).
39.44%
About every 3-5 seconds
18.31%
About every 10 seconds
12.68%
A few times per minute.
21.13%
About once per minute.
7.04%
Once in a while - less frequently than once per minute.
1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 11:45 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you use a mirror, how often do you look in it?
Old 12-05-17, 12:03 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Once a morning, when I shave.
Old 12-05-17, 03:04 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Said 3-5 seconds... but like every other aspect of cycling, it all depends on the type of traffic I am in... and what I need to know/do next.

For me, the mirror just sits there and I find I glance at from time to time and just note what traffic is doing...

It's quick glances to keep tabs on things... if traffic warrants it.
Old 12-05-17, 03:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm always aware of the mirror, but don't consciously look at regular intervals.I look when I'm setting up to turn or if I hear a vehicle approaching.

With the helmet mirror I turn and tip my head often, checking my peripheral vision for anything that's moving differently, relative to the surroundings. But I don't spend a lot of time looking directly at the mirror unless I'm planning to turn.
Old 12-05-17, 06:18 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
It does depend on traffic, but I answered about every 3-5 seconds, because I'm usually in heavy traffic. It sounds like a lot of checking the mirror, but for me it's second nature and not something I think about and I'm not only checking in the mirror, my eyes are darting all over the place, looking for things like left hooks
and other things coming at me from the sides and all other angles.
Old 12-05-17, 06:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I'd say the same as driving a car. If you want to know what's around you at all times then you need to be scanning the mirror every 3-4 seconds. Lots can happen in 3-4 seconds, especially with fast-moving cars.

On a MUP, I probably stop looking after the first few habitual glances.
Old 12-05-17, 07:13 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Same as others have said, I'm constantly monitoring whats all around me, including behind me. Maybe ESPECIALLY behind me. Whether that's every 3-5 seconds, I don't know, never paid much attention to timing. Just smart to know what's going on around you. I monitor EVERY car approaching from behind and make sure they are slowing and/or moving safely left to pass. For me personally, that requires a mirror.
Old 12-05-17, 07:32 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Said 3-5 seconds... but like every other aspect of cycling, it all depends on the type of traffic I am in... and what I need to know/do next.

For me, the mirror just sits there and I find I glance at from time to time and just note what traffic is doing...

It's quick glances to keep tabs on things... if traffic warrants it.
Speed is also a major factor, ie are there more vehicles/bike approaching or do you need to watch the ones your passing more carefully ??
Old 12-05-17, 09:37 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said: it depends. In my area, there are lots of small hills and winding roads, so, when I'm out on the road, I'm watching behind me, constantly. If I'm just going around the block (which is a 5+ mile loop), I know what to expect, and I look less frequently. On the MUP, I'm usually faster than most traffic, and rarely see anything coming behind me that I need to address, so I look even less frequently, concerning myself more with the obstacles in front.

I attended a safe driving course, long ago (yes, it was court-ordered!), in which the instructor said that we should spend "one out of every five seconds" looking in the rear view mirror. That's 20% of your driving time! I think that's excessive, unless you're one of those drivers that camps in the left lane.
Old 12-05-17, 09:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I often come up behind riders with a mirror going up a bridge and it's rare when anyone notices me in their mirror. Yesterday was the first time I can recall that a rider saw me so I suspect most riders probably look when they think it's necessary rather than continuously scanning.
Old 12-05-17, 12:13 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
If you use a mirror, how often do you look in it?
A LOT! My mirror is helmet mounted at eye level. So I am either looking at the mirror directly, or through my peripheral vision 100% of the time, unless I get distracted somehow. I can't imagine going 10 seconds without a direct peek at the mirror.
Old 12-05-17, 12:16 PM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by gregf83
I often come up behind riders with a mirror going up a bridge and it's rare when anyone notices me in their mirror. Yesterday was the first time I can recall that a rider saw me so I suspect most riders probably look when they think it's necessary rather than continuously scanning.
How do you determine whether or not they notice you in the mirror?
Old 12-05-17, 12:31 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Good question. I'm pretty sure I do nothing that reveals I see cyclists who approach me from behind.
Old 12-05-17, 12:38 PM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Good question. I'm pretty sure I do nothing that reveals I see cyclists who approach me from behind.
And initially I thought perhaps he meant approaching from behind in a car. Over bridges I take the lane and no car approaching from behind would think I saw them. But I don't know what I'd do on a bike with another bike approaching from behind that would give any indication I saw them, or if the poster expects something (?).
Old 12-05-17, 04:09 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And initially I thought perhaps he meant approaching from behind in a car. Over bridges I take the lane and no car approaching from behind would think I saw them. But I don't know what I'd do on a bike with another bike approaching from behind that would give any indication I saw them, or if the poster expects something (?).
Perhaps they express or demonstrate surprise when he passes?
Old 12-05-17, 11:36 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put 3-5 seconds, but that's more an average. Normal traffic, about that. No one behind me, I check less often to see if there's someone new. When I get close to where I need to turn left, my time is split 50/50 front and back, to figure out when I can cut across to the left turn lane.
Old 12-06-17, 07:40 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I usually have to get there attention before they move to the right side of the sidewalk/path. Once they know I’m behind they move over and hold their line. It’s not the widest path but cyclists do go both ways on it so there’s enough room for two. It’s not normally covered in snow but it’s the only pic I had.

Last edited by gregf83; 12-06-17 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 02:06 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I usually have to get there attention before they move to the right side of the sidewalk/path. Once they know I’m behind they move over and hold their line. It’s not the widest path but cyclists do go both ways on it so there’s enough room for two. It’s not normally covered in snow but it’s the only pic I had.
Sidewalk/path???

Oh! I use my mirror much more on roads than on paths.

On paths, I go by the first rule of Italian driving.

Old 12-06-17, 05:07 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
None of the above. I'll look when needed mostly. Getting near a turn lane or pothole or something. I also don't turn my head much unless I'm indicating where I am going. I only hand signal if I'm crossing right in front of somebody.
Old 12-06-17, 05:29 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don’t use a mirror but I am looking over my shoulder a lot. Although it depends on the road, amount of traffic and time of day.
Old 12-06-17, 08:10 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
more than 90% of what is going to kill you is coming from in front of you, or from the side.

excessive focus on a rear view mirror, when you're not looking to change lanes or move left is counterproductive

Instead of worrying about the diminimis risk behind you ( about which you can't do much anyway) your focus needs to be ahead and to the sides, which present a dramatically bigger hazard.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-07-17, 01:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I check my mirror more often on the MUP, often every few seconds. That's where I'm most likely to experience a close pass by someone I didn't hear coming. There are always a few guys using the MUP as their personal race track, threading between slower cyclists and pedestrians on a 4' wide sidewalk, rarely announcing or announcing as they're passing rather than before.

I don't know how often I've slowed to pass a pedestrian safely and courteously, only to find a wannabe racer threading the needle around or between us at 20 mph. I rarely encounter drivers who are as reckless as a handful of cyclists on the MUP. They don't represent the majority of MUP users by any means, but most of us would be outraged if we experienced that same behavior from drivers on the streets.

It's the main reason I avoid using the MUP during peak hours, or with groups.

And on the streets at night, as long as drivers are using their lights, I can tell whether they're behind me or off to the side by the appearance of my own shadow. Don't even need to check the mirror. And if they aren't using their headlights I won't see them in the mirror at night anyway.
Old 12-07-17, 06:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
more than 90% of what is going to kill you is coming from in front of you, or from the side.

excessive focus on a rear view mirror, when you're not looking to change lanes or move left is counterproductive

Instead of worrying about the diminimis risk behind you ( about which you can't do much anyway) your focus needs to be ahead and to the sides, which present a dramatically bigger hazard.
Not always. I ride some roads that have substantial distances between intersections with few driveways, yet plenty of high speed traffic overtaking me. Definitely more risk from the rear in these situations.
Old 12-07-17, 07:00 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What mirror?

Unlike Michael Keaton Batman, I can turn my head.
Old 12-07-17, 09:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Not always. I ride some roads that have substantial distances between intersections with few driveways, yet plenty of high speed traffic overtaking me. Definitely more risk from the rear in these situations.
I too have commuted on a similar type road and agree with your assessment of the relative risks from traffic when bicycling on such roads.

I also have found that it is futile to debate relative bicycling risks of various scenarios with individuals who cite all sorts of numbers and percentages apparently culled from thin air and/or imaginations/impressions to support the "fear from the fear" dogma advocated by ardent Vehicular Cyclists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.