Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you been in an cycling accident? How long before getting back on bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 02:27 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been cycling for 6 years now (14,680 miles total) averaging over 2400 per year.
I have had to accidents with injury. This recent on took 4 months to get back on Trek.

Have you been in an cycling accident with injury?

After your crash/injury how long until you were cycling again?

Any changes in cycling since your accident?

It really amazes me the amount of injuries (scrapes/fall over don't count) cyclist have and still we get back on the bike again!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-17, 02:51 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on the accident and the injury, your doctor should decide, but for me personally, as quickly as possible.

I've never been in an accident that involved a motor vehicle while on a bike, but I've had my share of wrecks. I ride on average about 6-7,000 miles a year and crash one to two times a year. Unless I actually have an injury that prevents me from being on the bike, I make a point to get on the bike the same or the next day explicitly to prevent me from making any detrimental changes to how I ride.

While I try to learn from my errors and what not to do in certain situations, the last thing I want is for a crash to make me afraid to ride. My last crash broke my frame. I spend that day and the next building up an old bike and test riding replacements. The prior two crashes, I still had to finish my ride/ride home. The last time I was injured I tore my ACL to the point that my doctor was close to doing reconstructive surgery. He didn't let me ride on the road for about 6-8 weeks, but he did clear me to spin lightly on a trainer after 4.

Take it for what you will, but I would say regardless of eagerness to get on the bike, follow doctors orders.
Old 12-28-17, 02:53 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I crashed on single track in 2004. Jumped into a tree and was laid up with bruised ribs and subsequent bronchitis for a couple weeks. Took til last month for me to bother with it again.

Then again I crashed the day before a tour, pulled a groin and left a blood trail through the hotel getting back to my room from two cuts that probably should have been stitched up, and I was (not comfortably) back on a bike the next morning.

As far as changes? I'm no longer allowed to cycle with glass beer bottles in my pockets, as those shards were the source of the cuts.
Old 12-28-17, 02:55 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

2011 - 16 weeks in neck collar 24/7 (fortunately didn't need Halo), clavicle with arm in a sling for 4 weeks, Long Thoracic Nerve Damage (still to this day not healed).

Only walking allowed until brace was removed, could not even ride indoor exerciser

NOPE
Old 12-28-17, 03:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Meh. I have had just as many injuries (as you define them) from walking as cycling, if not more, including a bout of PF that pained me for a long time. Never kept me from getting back on my feet.
Old 12-28-17, 03:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Broke my clavicle back in August 2017 (slow fall). After speaking with orthopedic, I opted for the non surgical route, and letting it heal on it's own. I put upright handlebars on my rigid mountain bike and was able to ride it comfortably in December. I have yet to be comfortable on my other bikes, despite trying. I get x-rays every few weeks and it is still "healing".

I have no plans to change my cycling behavior once I am fully healed.
Old 12-28-17, 03:13 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Too much cycling is bad for you.
Old 12-28-17, 03:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
in the 70s.. typical broken bone healing time..
Old 12-28-17, 03:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I suppose it depends a lot on the accident.

I've had a couple of single-bike accidents in the last couple of years, and was back on the bike within 15 minutes. Perhaps deep bone bruises, or minor fractures.

The pain may actually get worse over the next few days. However, I'm pretty independent, and car-free. So, I ride as needed.
Old 12-28-17, 04:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts

Yes, more than a few times.

ASAP, but the "possible" has varied a lot. My big head injury - started riding rollers at week 15. On the road three weeks later. My first broke rib crash I was on the trainer in about 2 1/2 months. Next broken ribs, 1 1/2 months. Collarbones, three weeks or less.

Any changes in cycling since your accident
(s)?

Not much.

Ben
Old 12-28-17, 05:09 PM
PastorJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you don't carry glass items "anymore"

Originally Posted by jefnvk
As far as changes? I'm no longer allowed to cycle with glass beer bottles in my pockets, as those shards were the source of the cuts.
Glad you're cycling again AND that you don't carry glass items "anymore"

Jim
Old 12-28-17, 05:14 PM
PastorJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do we keep cycling!!! What I have learned.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Yes, more than a few times.

ASAP, but the "possible" has varied a lot. My big head injury - started riding rollers at week 15. On the road three weeks later. My first broke rib crash I was on the trainer in about 2 1/2 months. Next broken ribs, 1 1/2 months. Collarbones, three weeks or less.

Any changes in cycling since your accident
(s)?

Not much.

Ben
We get back to cycling, which is good that we don't get scared away.

I learned from my crashes:

1. You can get hurt going 0 Mph if you fall wrong.
2. Do not ride with a full bladder (empty it) or it can distract you causing accident.
3. Don't try things on your bike that they do on Tour de France.
4. Be careful of your judgment / decision making when in extreme heat of Summer.
Old 12-28-17, 05:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
I have been cycling for 6 years now (14,680 miles total) averaging over 2400 per year.
I have had to accidents with injury. This recent on took 4 months to get back on Trek.

It really amazes me the amount of injuries (scrapes/fall over don't count) cyclist have and still we get back on the bike again!

Thanks!
I got hit by a car in 1981 that required surgery to repair a severely lacerated knee. I purchased a replacement bike by about the 4th week while still on crutches. I was back to riding by the 6th week after the brace came off.

I stress fractured an old broken ankle in the mid90s that required surgery to remove the pins and plates. It happened at Thanksgiving, the surgery was about a week later and I still managed to get a ride in on December 31.

I'd much rather ride a bike than do PT.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-28-17, 06:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I took a spill on black ice, and broke a rib, a few years ago. I spent some time off the bike until the rib began to heal, because breathing and upper body activity were painful. Meanwhile, I ordered studded tires and was back on the bike before spring.

I had another health scare that resulted in some clinical attention, and part of the process involved answering a bunch of psychological questions. The gist is that health issues can lead to depression, and the medics are getting better at addressing that side of our health. I think if you've been sidelined by injury, it's a very good idea to keep a close eye on your mental health, because some of us may be inadvertently dependent on the psychological benefits of exercise.
Old 12-28-17, 07:05 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Depends on the accident. I know a young woman who was taken out by a driver 'who didn't see her'... twice inside a couple of months. Result, one ankle and foot messed up rather badly. More to the point, even once she was strong enough to begin riding again, someone who previously loved riding, couldn't get on the bike. It took her husband writing off the family car and forcing her back on the bike to get her riding again (no choice). She's still not up to full strength but the mental fear has faded and the cycling love is back.

So your answer is in two parts - you have to be strong enough to ride which doesn't mean full fitness (doctors just do not understand this and will keep you off the bike for too long in most cases) and you need your head in the right place.
Old 12-28-17, 07:14 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I had some minor accidents that didn't keep me off the bike and a serious one (hit by a drunk driver, broken scapula, sprained ankle). Took 1 month to be on the road again, no consequences.
Old 12-28-17, 07:21 PM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Until I got my bike checks and repairs as needed.

If I am not injuries much, I just got back on bike as soon as I want. But after bike check, that's it.

Even if bike got fatal, gone, trashed, I will find the way to get a new one . . . and I still keep ride it.

Basically, the only time I will not ride is my legs cut off.
Old 12-28-17, 07:33 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I had a slow speed tumble off my bike in June of this year. I fractured my hand, partially dislocated 3 of my knuckles on the same hand, had a large road rash on one my knee, and a hematoma on the other. I got back on an indoor bike 2 days later. I had a cast for a month and got on my brand new bike, that arrived while I was injured, about a week after my cast came off. It’s been very slow and steady progress, I couldn’t put weight on my hand or grip the bars and everything hurt after just a short ride at first. Several months of PT later, and I’m most back to normal except for pain and stiffness in my knuckles and a permanently bent pinky finger. I’m more cautious now but haven’t changed much else.
Old 12-29-17, 01:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have been in a few accidents. I try to get back on the bicycle the next day, but that doesn't always go well.

When I cracked my ribs, broke a toe and had a tetanus shot. I nearly threw up when I got on the bicycle the next day. So I waited a day.

Same when I separated a shoulder, had concussion, sprained my hand, bruised my left leg from hip to ankle and was covered in road rash at the 100 km point of a 200 km randonnee. I got back on the bicycle and finished the ride but it was 2 days before I attempted the 400 km and I only made it to 250 km before I couldn't go on.

I was off longer for a non-cycling-related injury.

Last edited by Machka; 12-29-17 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 06:05 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Took a tumble off the bike on a greenway, trying to pass a much slower moving family. Got irritated because they kept weaving and took up the entire path, cut over too quickly in front of them, and hit some mud. My knee managed to find a pointy rock. Road rash everywhere and busted the left knee up really bad - it swelled up so bad it almost tore the skin off. 10 miles back to the car was a lot of fun. Almost 4 weeks before I could walk any distance without that dang boot and 6 weeks before I could get back on a bike. ER doctor insisted I see an orthopedist so I avoided even my PCP till I was out of the boot.
For a while, I went back to really wide tires (I had just switched to narrow tires on a MTB I was using as a commuter) and I eventually sold it because I got nervous every time I got on it.
Been about 18 months now; the knee still hurts sometimes and I am far more careful on greenways now.
Old 12-29-17, 07:01 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I've had a couple of concussions falling off the mtn bike. I let my wife decide when my eyes clear up on that one.

Last Dec, I tangled with another rider on a mup, and wanged up my left arm and back pretty good, along with some road rash. I ended up with 5 x-rays that all came up negative, but it took me a few weeks before I could ride again with the back.
Old 12-29-17, 08:16 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two accidents, both the last couple of years near the end of each season. This November I fractured my pelvis in 3 places and had a small frontal lobe hemorrhage. Started spinning again after 4 weeks and was on a fat bike for very short distances after 5 weeks. I am now almost 7 weeks out. I was just starting to feel completely normal when I tweaked the pelvis wrestling with a snow blower last weekend. I am going to give it another try on the fat bike or trainer this weekend but will take it slow.
Old 12-29-17, 08:23 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Meh. I have had just as many injuries (as you define them) from walking as cycling, if not more, including a bout of PF that pained me for a long time. Never kept me from getting back on my feet.
I've never had a brain bleed walking.
Old 12-29-17, 09:31 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
I've never had a brain bleed walking.
My accident was a run in with a curb that misjudged. I went to the dentist shortly after still wearing the brace and explained it to the girl cleaning my teeth and she said “at least you were on a bike.” She told me she tripped on a curb while walking and ended up with a concussion. She’s a runner and fairly fit and active so not a dunce like me. It can happen. I could fall down the steps at work, or end up in a car wreck. I’m not going to stop riding because of one accident. Although I did refuse to ice skate every again after one fall, but I don’t enjoy ice skating.
Old 12-29-17, 09:34 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed into a tree at 14.5 mph mountain biking, in December. My left shoulder hit, hard, and the tree didn't budge. I finished the ride, after about a minute of recovery, but probably should have gone to the hospital in an ambulance. It still hurts, a little, but only a little. No permanent damage, I'm sure. Gotta get back on that horse! Besides, it was only five minutes into the ride. I wasn't gonna miss the whole thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.