Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tires and fixing flats on unsupported rides

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tires and fixing flats on unsupported rides

Old 11-10-20, 07:24 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I used Marathon and Marathon Plus for many years while commuting and agree they are the best for flat resistance. However, they ride like bricks. When commuting, time was a major factor as I had to catch a train and a flat was not good. Nowadays, retired, I have a little more time and use a slightly more supple tire, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Much lighter, more supple and very good flat protection. They are rather pricey.
Old 11-10-20, 07:28 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
yup, that's it
once you understand the concept, changing tires is a lot easier.

oh, Pedro's tire levers are highly recommended, stronger than most,and won't break with a hard tire and rim combo....yes different rims will be harder than others with same tire
Also , removing a tire a few times often makes it easier than when new--so practicing helps in this regard OP

ive used gatorskins a long time, but perhaps you need a tougher tire?

80 bridges? Holy bananas!
try not to ride too far over, more debris field, but perhaps a plus tire would be appropriate, only you would know if you can ride on them, you didn't say but I assume a road bike?

oh, a small pair of needle nose to pull out embedded car tire wires uber important, essential. Close inspection of a tire for hard to see wires by eye and feel essential or another flat will occur.

good luck
Old 11-10-20, 07:29 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SoobyDoo
Thank You to all who responded:
Tourist in MSN for keeping the focus on safety and the tire suggestion (wow were those trucks really passing on a two lane highway over a double yellow line??!!);
I thought the same thing BUT I think it is a van driving behind the truck going in the proper direction.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 11-10-20, 07:36 AM
djb

Back to 80 eighty bridges, if it were me, I'd seriously consider a tougher tire, given how much tire wires will be around.

And regular close inspections with reading glasses, with that many bridges and depending on how close you ride to wall, chances are lots of embedded wires.

only you'll know how it is when you're there debris wise
Old 11-10-20, 09:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I just did a google search, 42 bridges. Not sure how my brain doubled it, we rode a ferry from Key West to Marco Island, so we only went across each bridge once. Maybe my brain was assuming you would do an out and back, thus each bridge twice?

I only had one flat, that was in Big Cyprus, my touring partner had none. I had 40mm wide Schwalbe Marathon (with greenguard) tires. That is the only tour where I have had a puncture. So, I do not think you need to worry that much about flats. It is not like the thorns in the desert southwest. I have never ridden Gattorskins, so I have no opinion on them.

My route was on this map, and yes it is pretty obvious where the ferry ride was on the map.

Old 11-10-20, 05:43 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Long ago, not in another galaxy, but another century, I had little tire cleaners. They mounted on the fork crown and the rear brake bridge. they were a piece of wire for the mounting, then two pieces of vinyl plastic tubing, then a second piece of wire that approximated the contour of the tire. the idea was that an object would be swept off the tire before it could penetrate all the way.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 11-10-20, 09:21 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is the only tour where I have had a puncture.
both to Tourist and to the guy asking about this, I'm going to whisper this very very very very quietly-------but I've never had a flat on a bike trip.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-10-20, 10:40 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
both to Tourist and to the guy asking about this, I'm going to whisper this very very very very quietly-------but I've never had a flat on a bike trip.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
David, The reason you haven't got any flats on a tour is we somehow got your share. On one long tour we got 13 of them. I'd be more than glad to give your share back
Old 11-10-20, 11:19 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Having tires you can replace under the worst circumstances, which is when/where flats tend to happen, is pretty desirable.

I like to start big rides on new tires. The last thing I want is some microscopic piece of glass or wire that's been in there for weeks or months to cause a flat. I've had good luck with that strategy. An ounce of prevention.

The advice from others above, to be practiced at fixing flats, is worth its weight. Related, be very confident in your tools, particularly the pump. Also worth its weight.

I rode from Jupiter to Key West and back a few years ago, on Primo Comets which are known as flat magnets, without a single issue. OTOH I had four flats in two days on the same tires, in rural Kentucky. Who knows what your trip will be like.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-11-20, 12:01 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife had a flat shortly after riding through this flock of sheep. It was a pretty crappy job fixing it. Fortunately, I carry nitrile gloves in my tool kit.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-11-20 at 12:06 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 11-11-20, 03:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Doug64
...The reason you haven't got any flats on a tour is we somehow got your share. On one long tour we got 13 of them. I'd be more than glad to give your share back
I would like to thank you for performing my share of flat repairs too, if I ever meet you in a campground somewhere I owe you and your wife a couple of beers. And maybe a couple patch kits.
Old 11-11-20, 02:51 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
At the risk of jinxing myself, I've toured about 12000km, and have never had a flat. Firstly on Marathon HS420, then Mondials, both tubed with slime in the tubes. Switched to Surly ETs, tubeless. Latest iteration is Schwalble Moto-x, tubeless. I'm a big believer in high volume tyres because they can roll over most things, like rocks and curbs etc. I figure the last thing I want to do is fix a flat , I'm not out there to beat any speed records, so resistance isn't high on the list of requirements.
Anyway, if you are running tubes, slime is a good option. It'll fix most smaller punctures. Carry some tissues and and some alcohol wipes to get any slime off the outside of the tubes in the event you get a puncture, the glue won't stick to slime! Tubeless I've found using a two sealant system works. Initially I add a small amount of latex based sealant like Stans to seal any micro porosity in the tyre and seal it to the rim. Leave that in for a couple of weeks. Then I add a non latex based like Finish Line so I know I don't have to worry about it drying out/
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-11-20, 03:00 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Always the rear wheel, yes.
That is why I carry degreasing hand cleaner wipes - to scrub off the chain grease once I'm done.
I use surgical gloves.
Old 11-11-20, 03:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
I use surgical gloves.
I use a belt
Old 11-11-20, 03:46 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Doug64
My wife had a flat shortly after riding through this flock of sheep. It was a pretty crappy job fixing it. Fortunately, I carry nitrile gloves in my tool kit.
even though you've posted this one before, its still funny.
and she had a pinch flat right, from running over that lazy sob laying right in the middle of the road?

it really is a cute photo, and just so funny how they are nonchalantly looking at you two riding by.
Old 11-11-20, 03:49 PM
djb

I would like to thank you for performing my share of flat repairs too, if I ever meet you in a campground somewhere I owe you and your wife a couple of beers. And maybe a couple patch kits.
yup I agree, Doug has been a real stand up guy fixing all those flats that we thankfully didnt have all those years.
His selfishly taking on our quota is very much appreciated. Please continue.
Old 11-11-20, 11:23 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Did those 1970s-1980s tire cleaners actually work?
Old 11-12-20, 05:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by RandomlyWest
Did those 1970s-1980s tire cleaners actually work?
We called them tire savers. I just did a google search to look for a photo, found these.
https://www.ebay.com/i/143447988267

Keep in mind that in the 70s, we were riding on crappy clincher tires, size 27 inch. Did not take much pressure and had a lot of rolling friction. Those clinchers had no flat protection, other than heavy cord and fairly thick rubber.

Because the clinchers were not very good, some bikers, myself included, tried tubular tires (also called sewups) which had a lot less rolling friction. And the tubular tires of that day had zero flat protection and were built mostly for racers. So, flats were common and flat repairs were a major hassle. So, if you could do anything to reduce flats on tubular tires, you did.

The theory on those tire savers is that they had minimal friction, but could knock bits of broken glass off of a tire before the glass was firmly imbedded in the tire.

I used them for a while, not sure if they saved me from any flats, but even if it only saved you from 1 out of 10, with tubular tires it was worth it. But when I added fenders to my bike, the tire savers came off.

I have not ridden tubular tires for decades but still have the wheels that I had back in the 80s.
Old 11-12-20, 08:47 AM
djb

The theory on those tire savers is that they had minimal friction, but could knock bits of broken glass off of a tire before the glass was firmly imbedded in the tire.
I have a clear memory or riding once with a friend who I rarely see, lives in a different city, and he still rides tubulars a bit even now. On this ride, behind him, I noticed him sometimes reaching back and with a gloved hand (it was fall, very cold) rubbing his fleece glove on the rear tire, essentially doing the same thing as you describe. Took me a minute to figure out what on earth he was doing, but that was it.
Old 11-12-20, 09:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I have a clear memory or riding once with a friend who I rarely see, lives in a different city, and he still rides tubulars a bit even now. On this ride, behind him, I noticed him sometimes reaching back and with a gloved hand (it was fall, very cold) rubbing his fleece glove on the rear tire, essentially doing the same thing as you describe. Took me a minute to figure out what on earth he was doing, but that was it.
Doesn't everyone do that?
Old 11-12-20, 06:52 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't see anyone answer what seemed to be a serious question. If so: Yes, it's statistically more likely to collect punctures on the rear tire than the front; it also happens on motorcycles and cars. What happens is that a nail, screw, staple, even a shard of glass, will be lying flat on the road. The front tire rolls over it harmlessly but picks it up and flicks it into the air, where it often comes down sharp side up as the rear tire goes over it.
Old 11-12-20, 07:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Doesn't everyone do that?
BITD, but not anymore.

We have only theory suggesting it did any good. Like many things cycling, mythology and lore prevail over data driven conclusions
Old 11-12-20, 07:43 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hanson
I didn't see anyone answer what seemed to be a serious question. If so: Yes, it's statistically more likely to collect punctures on the rear tire than the front; it also happens on motorcycles and cars. What happens is that a nail, screw, staple, even a shard of glass, will be lying flat on the road. The front tire rolls over it harmlessly but picks it up and flicks it into the air, where it often comes down sharp side up as the rear tire goes over it.
I don't see the story of flying debris landing sharp side up as statistically convincing. Cool story, nice image, but not data.

I think I've had more rear flats than front, but that could be just because they are more annoying to fix on the road thus more memorable. I have no data, and even if i did that's only one person and really just another story.

Stories are cool, and even convincing, but not because they are correct. Good data and good statistical analysis is boring AF, often not convincing to the general public, and more often actually correct.
Old 11-12-20, 07:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
More weight and torque at the back? I doubt it is "flinging"that is the cause of it.
Old 11-12-20, 08:51 PM
djb

I've twice had new schwalbe rear tires get skewered by a long nail and a flat sharp long piece of metal, both times the long objects piercing the rears in an angle that clearly wasn't from just running over a flat object, so I believe in the "flick up" theory.

no slow motion video so no proof, but the weird penetration angle certainly seemed that way

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.