Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rockhopper bottom bracket cable-guide screw blockage

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 10:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts

Hey all,

Found (most of) a Rockhopper in the trash, workin on cleaning it up, getting it rolling again. It had no crankset or bottom bracket in the shell. I have a couple cartridge BB laying around (octalink, UN-55), and the standard threading seems ok, but there's a HUGE obstacle where the cable guide screw comes into the shell -- as well as extra metal there to hold the screw. Pic:

Got started filing it down, but it's gonna take a while. What kind of BB is supposed to go in there?

Here's a picture of the full bike:

Old 02-15-21, 11:45 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Traditional 3 piece BB slides right by-most likely what came out. One can remove the offending screw/bolt and cable guide, install cartridge BB and re install said cable guide and securing fastener. Power tools and threads can be a bad mix on this task.
Likes For Ross200:
Old 02-16-21, 03:15 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad

Ah, that brings back memories of a simpler time, when the plastic piece would crack and fall off the water bottle holder and we didn't bother to replace it
Old 02-16-21, 04:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A steel frame Rpckhopper. What a great find! Probably 25 years old.

I'm thinking that bike pre-dates cartridge bottom brackets so the separate spindle would miss that fastener. It's probably part of the under the bottom bracket cable guide. If It was my bike I'd see if I could pinch those two little ears together and push the BB guide out. Then I'd cut off the ears and hold the cable guide in place with a dab of 3M Badge and Trim cement (AutoZone has it). Now you can use a semi-modern bottom bracket. Oh - before you sbuy a bottom bracket, be sure to measure the shell width. It's probably 73mm but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be only 68mm. I'd check the dropout spacing too.
Old 02-16-21, 04:52 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I have a '93 and a '95 Rockhopper with the same BB, and I have UN55s in both of them. It's been a while but I don't remember either of them being a problem.
Old 02-16-21, 09:52 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Ross200
Traditional 3 piece BB slides right by-most likely what came out. One can remove the offending screw/bolt and cable guide, install cartridge BB and re install said cable guide and securing fastener. Power tools and threads can be a bad mix on this task.
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking that bike pre-dates cartridge bottom brackets so the separate spindle would miss that fastener. It's probably part of the under the bottom bracket cable guide. If It was my bike I'd see if I could pinch those two little ears together and push the BB guide out. Then I'd cut off the ears and hold the cable guide in place with a dab of 3M Badge and Trim cement (AutoZone has it). Now you can use a semi-modern bottom bracket.
Even with the screw backed out (as pictured), those two 'ears' block the insertion of a cartridge BB.

Pinching the ears together, that's an idea, maybe flexing them back and forth enough will just break them off, and then as you say, just cement the cable guide in place, it's not that critical of a part.

Or should I look for an old 3-piece caged-bearing BB with a narrower spindle?
Old 02-16-21, 10:04 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Are you sure that the protrusion is steel? It kinda looks like a removable threaded plastic push pin. You'll find out when pinching the ears together.
Old 02-16-21, 10:04 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It is likely the plastic piece is a 'clip' part of the cable guide. It is possible it does not require a screw at all. If the plastic sticks through enough to interfere with the BB, you can break off or drill through the cable guide to remove the clip and just use a screw. NB, throw away that rusty MF'n screw someone found in grandpa's toolbox. The hole in the BB shell of the frame is very probably M5 threaded and a water bottle bolt will thread in and hold the cable guide tightly.
If the screw is sticking out so much it interferes with a BB, cut it, dear Liza, CUT IT. It's not rocket surgery.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 02-16-21, 10:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hmmm, it seems to be filing down like metal, but if it turns out to be just a clip part of the guide, that would be great!
Old 02-16-21, 10:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Hmmm, it seems to be filing down like metal, but if it turns out to be just a clip part of the guide, that would be great!
The UN-55 has a narrow middle so the screw shouldn’t be a problem once installed. You can pull the cable guide out, install the bottom bracket, and reinstall the cable guide. If the screw is too long, you can file off the end of the retaining screw. I’ve had to file many screws to make them fit on bottom brackets that are wider in the middle than the UN-55.

You could also clip off the ears of the cable guide and use a slightly larger sheet metal screw. The screw would screw into the metal of the bottom bracket shell. This is a common way to hold the cable guide on the shell. Again, you will probably have to file the screw down to fit.

Lubricate the screw, by the way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-16-21, 10:58 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Jesus, just remove the cable guide, install the bb and then put the cable guide back on. Maybe you shouldn't be trying to tackle something this complicated.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-16-21, 11:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

'just remove the cable guide' -- if I thought/realized those were just plastic clips sticking in, I would have done that already. It seemed like a metal collar to receive the screw.
Old 02-16-21, 11:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It should be pretty dang obvious that they're plastic and part of the guide, and the the split is there so it can be installed/removed.
Old 02-16-21, 02:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
'just remove the cable guide' -- if I thought/realized those were just plastic clips sticking in, I would have done that already. It seemed like a metal collar to receive the screw.
Sorry I didn’t understand your concern. Your cable guide is similar to this one. This one isn’t exactly like yours and it is a design that isn’t very common but it’s around. Remove the screw all the way and you should be able to just pull the guide off. You might need to “persuade” the guide off with a screwdriver but it will pop off.

Once off, I’d proceed like I suggested above. Most newer designs don’t have the “ears” at all and just fit on the outside of the shell and are held in place with a screw.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-16-21 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-16-21, 04:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

awesome, thx. I'm sure that will get me where I need to go
Old 12-17-22, 02:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Did some updates on the stumpjumper today, thought I'd post a pic:

Tires (and whole front wheel actually) taken from a Huffy rejected from my work's Christmas bikes-for-kids drive, for having a fork welded together wrong so the dropouts are like 30-40deg off from straight forward.

I put that wheel on the front, not just the tire, because the previous wheel had a trouble with a burr or something on the valve hole ruining tubes.

I could probably have put the back wheel on the back to make a better match (7sp still), but it's a disc rim with decorative grooves, I wanted at least one wheel to have a proper brake track.

New pedals: Stolen/Thermalite in white
Old 12-17-22, 02:22 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Question:

That vintage 7sp shifter is really mushy and difficult to operate.

There is a 7sp shifter on the donor bike I could switch to.

Are all 7sp shifters going to be the same cable pull? Should it be a simple drop-in?
Old 12-18-22, 08:15 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Did some updates on the stumpjumper today, thought I'd post a pic:

Tires (and whole front wheel actually) taken from a Huffy rejected from my work's Christmas bikes-for-kids drive, for having a fork welded together wrong so the dropouts are like 30-40deg off from straight forward.

I put that wheel on the front, not just the tire, because the previous wheel had a trouble with a burr or something on the valve hole ruining tubes.

I could probably have put the back wheel on the back to make a better match (7sp still), but it's a disc rim with decorative grooves, I wanted at least one wheel to have a proper brake track.

New pedals: Stolen/Thermalite in white
Guessing that to be a 1990?
The grooves in the brake track are wear indicators on that front wheel. It was designed to be used on a disk or rim brake bicycle.
The obstacle in the BB is supposed to be cleared by the bb axle, if you use a cartridge bb you have to modify it by removing the screw and part of the plastic.
My 1990 rockhopper is converted to cartridge bb.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 12-18-22 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Someone said stumpy, it's not.
Old 12-18-22, 08:25 AM
Schweinhund

Question:

That vintage 7sp shifter is really mushy and difficult to operate.

There is a 7sp shifter on the donor bike I could switch to.

Are all 7sp shifters going to be the same cable pull? Should it be a simple drop-in?
Cable replacement on those are dead simple there's a little window for cable access.
That's a 1995 Rockhopper, not a stumpy Who said it was a stumpy???
Old 12-18-22, 09:34 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Have tied flushing the shifters with solvent? That should clean up the actions.

Looks like Shimano, Shimano 7 speed sis will be compatible with any Shimano 7 sis.
Old 12-18-22, 09:52 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Have tied flushing the shifters with solvent? That should clean up the actions.

Looks like Shimano, Shimano 7 speed sis will be compatible with any Shimano 7 sis.
That brifter assembly is circa 1990, as is the stem/bars. They are identical to what I pulled from my 1990 "Rockstumper"
It's a combo of a 1990 'hopper f/f and other parts pulled from a 1991 stumpy (strong arm cranks, wheels)
Old 12-18-22, 10:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
That brifter assembly is circa 1990, as is the stem/bars. They are identical to what I pulled from my 1990 "Rockstumper"
It's a combo of a 1990 'hopper f/f and other parts pulled from a 1991 stumpy (strong arm cranks, wheels)
Thx guys, my mistake on Stumpjumper, the frame 'clearly' says Rockhopper (and that's how I titled the OP).

The plastic cable guide got cleared up before, I should have realized from the pic where it is easier to see than when I was just looking with my old eyesballs.

The shifter is not original, most of the parts swiped from some other bike. I haven't tried solvent, not sure if I'll try that or just swap the shifter.

Good to know about that brake track is ok for rim braking! I might just swap that other rear wheel on so they match. It already has a 7sp on it
Old 12-18-22, 11:56 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I haven't tried solvent, not sure if I'll try that or just swap the shifter.
Open up the shifter housing, lightly solvent only where necessary, blow remainder away with an air gun, and then re-lube with your favorite liquid.

Ideal would be to remove and completely disassenble the shifter and rebuild it.