Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

REI 20/20 Discounts on...Junk?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

REI 20/20 Discounts on...Junk?

Old 05-27-18, 06:55 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Cabela's has an entire section for "hunting clothing" - where they sell hunting socks.

If you think Cabela's doesn't sell an image just as much as you claim REI does you aren't paying very close attention.
Everyone tries to sell an image. Obviously they try to sell what people buy, so it is the people's fault. I refuse to wear things that display the brandname (unless they pay sponsorship :-). Obviously backpacks etc. will show a brand name somewhere, but I try to keep that as small as possible.
What bothers me is the dishonesty and the fake image of the expensive stores that justify their high prices with a "good mission" of some sort. Ultimately a store is just a distribution center and all the stuff in thee is made in a sweat shop. "Brands" are just a design office that outsources production to some low cost factory.

Funny thing is most REI brand label people I see on hiking trails are the ones with hiking poles on a 1% slope. I'm not saying everyone who buys at REI is like that, mind you. In laws of mine shop there and so i get to see larger ones in Utah etc. It always puzzles me how i just hike with normal tennis shoes and socks, while REI tells me i need special $15 hiking socks. which of course are different from the $20 running socks and the $20 cycling socks.

as for politics, that should just stay out. Again, a store is just a (expensive) middle man between user and factory.
Old 05-27-18, 10:40 AM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
I went to rei the other day , first time , they have better bike stuff than all 3 of my lbs . they had best price on cassettes and brake pads cables . i was pretty impressed . they have a nice shop way better than dicks .
In terms of biking accessories, I can only think of one LBS that has anywhere near the selection as my local-ish REI, and I live in an area with a lot of LBSes. Being new to cycling, I have spent some time over the past few weeks visiting just about all of them looking at bikes/accessories to replace the "good enough" gear I am using now. Seriously, REI's selection of almost everything except bikes is pretty darn good. Sure, they don't carry every good brand but no one does. They are also the only one around that I am aware of that carries Revelate products. That they ended up not having the specific item that I ordered for in-store pickup was annoying but they emailed me an additional 15%-off "I'm sorry" code that I could use to order it and I would still use the anniversary code that I had previously tried to use. That brought the price down way below what I would buy it for elsewhere. I also picked up a couple of other items that were the same price or cheaper than what I was about to order on Amazon.
Old 05-28-18, 06:53 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD sandals at REI for 25% off. Can't get that deal anywhere else. And the fashion statement! And they will take a return on anything that isn't trashed. Have tried out 4 saddles this way ( I was very careful with the saddles, I don't want to be jerk with their policy).
Old 05-29-18, 12:29 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I buy stuff on sale at REI, mostly biking and hiking stuff and socks. I've purchased quite a bit of biking clothing from the clearance rack, most of it REI/Novara brand and have been happy with the quality. I stick to the lower priced brands/products, generally. I think some of the brands are waaaaay overpriced for my needs. Their quarterly sales and the Outlet/Garage (or whatever they are calling it today) often has pretty good finds. I got a nice, discontinued day pack for hiking at the outlet.
Old 05-29-18, 10:52 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Cabela's has an entire section for "hunting clothing" - where they sell hunting socks.

If you think Cabela's doesn't sell an image just as much as you claim REI does you aren't paying very close attention.
I stick with Darn Tough socks now. I see they've got them at Bass Pro, but REI is closer. Spent years wearing holes in the heels of Smartwool and REI brand merino wool socks on the mail route, then found out about Darn Tough and never looked back. Lifetime guarantee.
Old 05-30-18, 03:11 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I personally think some of the stuff in a Cabelas, Bass Pro, REI, or dicks is just a step ahead of walmart junk. Take those Yeti tumblers for example. The walmart ones do the same thing and are a lot cheaper.
Old 05-31-18, 08:02 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Part of this is that lots of people wear outdoorsy stuff every day casually. 25 years ago, brands like North Face and Patagonia made extremely high quality and pricey outdoorsy stuff that was actually designed for people who abuse stuff outdoors. I have a pair of thick canvas North Face hiking shorts that I purchased in 1990 for about $100 (a ridiculous sum at the time) that was built like a tank and was perfectly designed. Those shorts are still holding up (albeit with a few holes) and still better than any others I've found. This is not the case any more with that brand. Now (with a few exceptions) the North face, Patagonia, Marmot, even Mountain Hardware make commodity casual clothing for teenagers. That's what sells and that's what REI carries. You can still find the good stuff at REI but it's going to be (probably properly) expensive and limited. Their bike stuff is pretty rudimentary and geared towards commuters, again because that's what sells.

I have noticed that REI's online inventory is far better and has truly high quality stuff for enthusiasts.
Old 05-31-18, 12:43 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD sandals at REI for 25% off. Can't get that deal anywhere else. And the fashion statement! And they will take a return on anything that isn't trashed. Have tried out 4 saddles this way ( I was very careful with the saddles, I don't want to be jerk with their policy).
They'll take stuff back for a full year even if it's trashed.

One thing you can't complain about REI about is their bomb proof return policy. Iv'e seen people bring shoes and boots back after wearing them for 5 months and are unhappy that the tread wore down to fast or the leather ripped or something of that nature....REI says "Cool. Here's your money back"

There are restrictions. I think you have to be a member. And I'm assuming they track how often you return used gear and will cancel your membership if you abuse it.

Keep in mind that's different from normal returns. I bought it, it didn't fit, and brought it back unused is WAY different than I bought it, used it for 4 months and hated it and brought it back. Normal unused returns go back on the shelf for the next customer. Used product returns are what they put in the yard sales they run every few months.
Old 05-31-18, 12:45 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I stick with Darn Tough socks now. I see they've got them at Bass Pro, but REI is closer. Spent years wearing holes in the heels of Smartwool and REI brand merino wool socks on the mail route, then found out about Darn Tough and never looked back. Lifetime guarantee.
I've got 2 pair of darn tough socks. They aren't screwing around when they say they are lifeproof. (I think that's their catchphrase...though that might be someone else)
Old 05-31-18, 12:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I've got 2 pair of darn tough socks. They aren't screwing around when they say they are lifeproof. (I think that's their catchphrase...though that might be someone else)
REI was having a 25% off US retail on all things Ortlieb last week. Got a new handlebar and trunk bag out of it...
Old 06-01-18, 10:41 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Part of this is that lots of people wear outdoorsy stuff every day casually. 25 years ago, brands like North Face and Patagonia made extremely high quality and pricey outdoorsy stuff that was actually designed for people who abuse stuff outdoors. I have a pair of thick canvas North Face hiking shorts that I purchased in 1990 for about $100 (a ridiculous sum at the time) that was built like a tank and was perfectly designed. Those shorts are still holding up (albeit with a few holes) and still better than any others I've found. This is not the case any more with that brand. Now (with a few exceptions) the North face, Patagonia, Marmot, even Mountain Hardware make commodity casual clothing for teenagers. That's what sells and that's what REI carries. You can still find the good stuff at REI but it's going to be (probably properly) expensive and limited. Their bike stuff is pretty rudimentary and geared towards commuters, again because that's what sells.

I have noticed that REI's online inventory is far better and has truly high quality stuff for enthusiasts.
I have a North Face vest I bought when the company was switching from the high quality equipment used by active outdoors people to a department store brand 20+ years ago. It was a great deal and when I tell people how I got it they just kind of look at me like they don't understand what I just said.
Old 06-01-18, 12:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I can’t speak to the “discounts” but the REI 3.5” Camp Bed is pretty among the best $130 I have ever spent. As comfortable as a real bed.

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/r...g-sleeping-pad
Old 06-01-18, 02:04 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I can’t speak to the “discounts” but the REI 3.5” Camp Bed is pretty among the best $130 I have ever spent. As comfortable as a real bed.

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/r...g-sleeping-pad
Is that one of those matresses with the compressed foam inside?

I just got one of those (different brand) and they are awesome!
Old 06-01-18, 02:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Is that one of those matresses with the compressed foam inside?

I just got one of those (different brand) and they are awesome!
It is basically like a Therma-Rest.... but 3.5" thick.
Old 06-01-18, 02:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I must admit I bought a new cassette there last night. Only place locally that had what I wanted.
Old 06-03-18, 02:23 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
REI is a poor substitute for a LBS but I have had some success buying water filters and stove fuel there.

I have often visited an REI 3-hours away only to be told that I can order what they don't have from their website. "No kidding! I could have saved myself a trip too but I wanted to support you in exchange for the ability to try something on!"

Several of my annual 20% sale coupons have gone unused because I couldn't think of anything I wanted to buy from REI.

The Camelbak thing is ridiculous and has only served to further alienate me.
Old 06-04-18, 10:55 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bug Shield
REI is a poor substitute for a LBS...
Horses for courses. Here in Houston, I 've been to two REI stores and found their technicians reasonable, doing a good job. Had everything I requested done, even if under protest (increase the spoke tension in my brand new Randonee).

I have been through 4 LBSs, ranging from small boutique 'studio' to large multi-store Local Bicycle Stores, only one (Daniel Boone Cycles) passed muster.

The other three, lied to me about needed repairs and what they would accomplish, brought me the wrong product and called it my fault, were rude to me as a customer

(as in) 'I want a 10 speed chain', he brings me from the back a seven to nine,

'please listen to me, I want a 10 speed chain'

the employee says 'this will fit'

three salesmen and one tech are looking at me as my tone of voice indicated that I am somewhat frustrated...

I say 'no it won't'

the tech very rudely intervenes and admonishes me with an order 'be polite'.

I look at him in disbelief and ask whether 'will this make a 7-9 chain fit a 10 sp cogset' to receive a rather ominous 'be polite'

I walked out to avoid worse...

No adult supervision in sight...
Old 06-04-18, 12:14 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
Horses for courses. Here in Houston, I 've been to two REI stores and found their technicians reasonable, doing a good job. Had everything I requested done, even if under protest (increase the spoke tension in my brand new Randonee).

I have been through 4 LBSs, ranging from small boutique 'studio' to large multi-store Local Bicycle Stores, only one (Daniel Boone Cycles) passed muster.
Pretty much my experience too. LBS are, at the end of the day, small businesses. Some are run well, some aren't. I'd trust the lady at one of the REIs shops more than most LBS around me, despite REI being a "chain". Same goes for a mechanic at one of the local Performance Bikes. The other two REIs and PBs in the area? Eh, their door of head mechanic never stops rotating. The LBS? It is difficult in Michigan to keep a mechanic employed year round full time in a local bike shop that doesn't have other departments to keep it afloat, and part time seasonal work doesn't generally net you the talent.
Old 06-05-18, 10:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I did not know much about REI the first time I went to one. Honestly, I was just expecting a slightly better version of Dick’s (more outdoor rec, less hunting). I was not expecting to particularly like it.

i was pleasantly surprised. It seems like a good overall outdoors shop. No, it is not as good of a bike shop for high end stuff as my favorite LBSs, and not as good a kayak store as my two favorite small independent kayak/paddling stores, but they have most of what most people need, prices have been competitive in my experience, and I have always found the staff helpful in the three stores I have been to a few times.
Old 06-09-18, 02:14 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Pretty much my experience too. LBS are, at the end of the day, small businesses. Some are run well, some aren't. I'd trust the lady at one of the REIs shops more than most LBS around me, despite REI being a "chain". Same goes for a mechanic at one of the local Performance Bikes. The other two REIs and PBs in the area? Eh, their door of head mechanic never stops rotating. The LBS? It is difficult in Michigan to keep a mechanic employed year round full time in a local bike shop that doesn't have other departments to keep it afloat, and part time seasonal work doesn't generally net you the talent.
lol... my son joined REI with a pretty fair competency in road & MTB bikes, bike mechanics, backpacking, certainly strong enough for good customer service and product selection. What department was he put in? Snowboards.

Anyway, i think this thread has cheered me up somewhat. I am not a crazy old man, I hope REI turns it around and prospers.
Old 06-09-18, 02:19 PM
jefnvk

Well, I'll at least continue with my love affair of Garage Sales, even if thinking the company as a whole is entry level.stuff geared towards weekend warriors. Picked up a set of nearly new returned custom order 45NRTH Wrathchild studded 4.6" fat tires for $60 this morning, that generally retail above $200 each