Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking at Brickell Tandem 7

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 10:51 AM
Mainiac65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I just recently bought a 1995 Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe from my local bike shop. While thinking about it and talking to my wife and daughter who both don't know how to ride bikes I thought a Tandem could possibly be an option to get them out riding. Neither has shown a great interest in learning to ride their own bike but the idea of the Tandem did interest them. To start it obviously wouldn't allow the three of us to ride together but I figured if I went out with each of them 2-3 times a week on the Tandem it may spark their interest and possibly even assist them in learning to ride.

While picking up the Schwinn today the owner showed me a used Tandem he had. It's a Brickell Tandem 7 and he's asking $450 for it. It's in decent shape thought it does have a fair amount of small scrapes and such and one of the seats has a small tear in the side. I tried doing some research on the bike but really couldn't find any reviews. I was curious if anyone has experience with this Tandem and if so what they thought of it. Also from what I can see the bike runs around $789 new so does $450 sound reasonable based on the condition?

I have looked a some inexpensive tandems on-line in the $300-$400 range such as the Kent Dual Drive 26 and Schwinn Twinn Tandem 26 among a myriad others. Most likely I would want to take the bike to the shop to be assembled or at least checked out after I assembled it so that would be an added expense. Any there any worthy ones on-line in that price range or would the Brickell be superior to the majority of them?

I obviously would be more comfortable buying from the bike shop assuming the Brickell is worth it. I really don't want to go beyond the $500 price range since if my wife and daughter don't take to the tandem I don't want to have invested a ton in it. If they both take to it and prefer just using that versus getting their own bikes then I would consider upgrading.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-09-18, 11:12 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
The Brickell looks like it would meet the type of riding you are wanting to do with the bike. The price sounds a little high, maybe offer him 350/375 and see what he says. It looks like they are a 7 or 8 hundred dollar bike new.
Old 04-10-18, 12:00 PM
Mainiac65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
The Brickell looks like it would meet the type of riding you are wanting to do with the bike. The price sounds a little high, maybe offer him 350/375 and see what he says. It looks like they are a 7 or 8 hundred dollar bike new.
Thanks. If my wife and daughter are interested in it I'll make him an offer. I did try to get him down a little on the Schwinn I bought but he wouldn't budge so I don't know if I'll have any better luck on the Brickell but it doesn't hurt to try.