Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Switched gyms

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 02:30 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I've had very few bad experiences at the gym (actually I can't think of any), and I go to a cheap neighborhood one 4-5 days per week. Obviously there are many people who don't use the equipment the same way I would. I don't let that bother me, they aren't hurting the equipment and they have no impact on my workout. One day I may learn to be a personal trainer so I can help people achieve their fitness goals. I think that would be rewarding.

I've always said if you don't like going to the gym, then don't join.
Old 02-27-18, 12:19 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think crossfit is responsible for encouraging women to lift heavy and train hard. There are a lot of very strong and very fit women doing crossfit. I remember way back in the 1980's women only did aerobics, today they are doing all the heavy barbell lifts which only men used to do.
A woman I used to train with (who is a fair bit older than me and was a powerlifter back in the 80s) was told in high school not to lift weights or "her uterus would fall out". The person saying that was serious. Times have definitely changed.
Old 02-27-18, 12:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
FWIW - nowadays a woman can get a bladder sling surgically installed. basically helps w incontinence as they age. no hindrance for any physical activities
Old 02-27-18, 12:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A pretty new thing, maybe the last 5 years, is the tremendous increase in strong women in gyms. One never used to see a woman doing long sets of bench presses or deadlifts. Same thing with boarding and skiing. So many strong young women in those sports now. We took gold in women's hockey! OMG.
Feels like about 2/3 the climbers in the Icicle (Leavenworth) are young women.
Old 02-27-18, 03:12 PM
OBoile

I've been going to various gyms in this town since 1979. Never saw anything scary or stupid. Everyone seems to know exactly what they are doing, even though their workouts may be completely different.
I find this extremely hard to believe.
Old 02-27-18, 04:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I find this extremely hard to believe.
Whatever. There are people who don't do stuff perfectly and who do stuff that one wonders why they're doing it, but not scary or stupid. Heck, I just learned to snap my benches today. Hard to be perfect.
Old 03-01-18, 09:02 AM
OBoile

Whatever. There are people who don't do stuff perfectly and who do stuff that one wonders why they're doing it, but not scary or stupid. Heck, I just learned to snap my benches today. Hard to be perfect.
I still can't believe you haven't seen any stupid stuff. I see it pretty much every day at the public gym. Why, just yesterday there was a guy doing incline db benches. He did two sets of 8 but then that fool couldn't do a single rep on his third set. I guess he couldn't get the dumbbells in the right spot to get started. He tired and failed. Tried again and failed. Tried one last time and failed again. Then he put the weights back hoping no one noticed.

I was a little annoyed. Normally I do 3 sets on that exercise but just 2 yesterday.
Old 03-01-18, 09:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Maybe carbonfiberboy's tolerance for stupidity is different than other people's.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-01-18, 09:31 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I still can't believe you haven't seen any stupid stuff. I see it pretty much every day at the public gym. Why, just yesterday there was a guy doing incline db benches. He did two sets of 8 but then that fool couldn't do a single rep on his third set. I guess he couldn't get the dumbbells in the right spot to get started. He tired and failed. Tried again and failed. Tried one last time and failed again. Then he put the weights back hoping no one noticed.

I was a little annoyed. Normally I do 3 sets on that exercise but just 2 yesterday.
By far the hardest part of DB benches is getting the frigging weights aloft the first time without injuring oneself or anyone in the area. I'm so weak that starting inclines is pretty easy.
Old 03-01-18, 10:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I was a little annoyed
got into a tif w a brute one time many years ago. we were both wearing ear buds so when he asked if I was done on the incline bench & I gave him a snide remark as an answer, he thought I gave him a vulgar answer & so began an insane toe-to-toe, peck-to-peck stand off. found a way to diffuse it cuz he coulda killed me & he realized he was escalating it. was tuff tho cuz neither of us are the type to back down. I was literally on the bench between sets getting ready for my next set & he asked if I was done. I told him "does it look like I'm done?" ... anyway I'm a bit more polite these days & haven't had anymore run ins w brutes
Old 03-01-18, 10:11 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
With the amount of yacking and gabbing at the gym I thought of a business idea for someone out there. The STFU gym. STFU would of course stand for (Silent, Transforming, Focused, and Unstoppable). If you use my idea I want the first T shirt. Thanks in advance, lets bring on cycling season, enough of this endless winter!

I'd join that gym because that would totally work for me. There are people who need other people to exercise, and then there are the solitary performers, and that's me. I do my best when my mind is focused on myself and my workout. Distractions like (political!) TV and conversations only take away from the workout.

I know not everyone's that way, which is why it's good to have choices.
Old 03-01-18, 01:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noglider
Maybe carbonfiberboy's tolerance for stupidity is different than other people's.
There was a skinny guy deadlifting like 450 pounds. He would lift the weight, then drop it onto the floor. Then lift it, then drop it. Had headphones on. The rest of the gym basically lined up to tell the guy to stop being a jerk.

I don't know that I'd call it dangerous, it's only going to hurt the floor, but it's stupid and obnoxious for sure.

But most of the annoyance is people using limited equipment like the power racks to waste time on their phones.
Old 03-01-18, 01:48 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

But most of the annoyance is people using limited equipment like the power racks to waste time on their phones.
I once went to a gym near my parents' house (a Goodlife for any Canadians reading) where a guy claimed a power rack (the only power rack, although there were several squat racks) for over an hour to do calisthenics. At no point did he actually use the rack other than to hang his towel, but I guess he felt cooler having his mat located inside the rack than on one of the many open spaces of floor where he wouldn't be in the way.
Old 03-01-18, 01:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Holy crap.

I try to be aware of my surroundings. It's just a good thing in life. If somebody looks like they're waiting for a rack when I'm using it, or the specific dumbells I'm using or whatever, I offer to share. "I have two sets left, but you can use this while I rest up for the next one, then we'll trade off."
Old 03-01-18, 06:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There was a skinny guy deadlifting like 450 pounds. He would lift the weight, then drop it onto the floor. Then lift it, then drop it. Had headphones on. The rest of the gym basically lined up to tell the guy to stop being a jerk.

I don't know that I'd call it dangerous, it's only going to hurt the floor, but it's stupid and obnoxious for sure.

Personally I would never drop my deadlifts because I prefer to get as much TUT as possible...But if the guy was dropping it on top of a proper lifting platform then it shouldn't be an issue, if he was dropping it without a lifting platform then he was just being a dikhead...As an example: dropping heavy barbells is standard practice when doing Olympic style lifts, that's why bumper plates were invented, but it should always be done on top of a proper platform or some special floor covering

That's not an annoyance, that's a very serious thing.

Planet Fitness has a lunk alarm, if you make a slightest bit of noise you can get kicked out of that gym, that place is one big joke.
Old 03-01-18, 08:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

In a real weight lifting gym, yeah, everyone drops the weight. But in a mixed use gym, it's a no-no, like using chalk.

Powerlifters go about 5 minutes between sets or even single reps. So it may seem like their being pigs, but that's what they have to do. We try to go when they won't be using the racks or else we skip those lifts.
Old 03-11-18, 12:02 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Holy crap.

I try to be aware of my surroundings. It's just a good thing in life. If somebody looks like they're waiting for a rack when I'm using it, or the specific dumbells I'm using or whatever, I offer to share. "I have two sets left, but you can use this while I rest up for the next one, then we'll trade off."
There are people who do their dumbbell bicep curls while standing right in front of the dumbbell racks. Have they ever considered they are blocking people from looking for weights they are not using?
Old 04-12-18, 06:02 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
they insisted on playing non stop political propaganda on their TVs

gyms have stationary bikes you know, all kinds, incl those you sit back on, almost recumbent. no need to use a shoulder ...
Really? If I left for those reasons I'd never have permanent gym. At the moment at PF and they have continuous repetitive canned music. Just get headphones. Then again, it's your money.