Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cytomax (Tangy Orange) - Formula Change?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 10:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

I hope this is the best forum to post this....

I have been using Cytomax "Tangy Orange" as my go-to on-bike drink for about 10 years. Its taste is decent, it has the requisite carbs and electrolytes, and it has not caused any GI problems for me. I am able to buy it in bulk online typically for $25 for 4.5 pound bottles, and a bulk order of 4 or 5 bottles lasts me 6 months.

I recently ran low and bought another bulk order. Same retailer btw. But...

The most recent version of this drink mix is NOT the same. The name is the same. The label is different. I also notice that when I fill the bottle, the mix is a little frothy (which is new), and most importantly it TASTES different. Bad different. The previous version was a little sweet, not delicious but ok. This new version is bitter/sour and I don't really like it compared to the older version I am used to.

Has anyone else noticed this? I imagine I can try to get used to this since I bought a box of 5 4.5 pound bottles.
Old 04-15-18, 11:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I hope this is the best forum to post this..............I have been using Cytomax "Tangy Orange" as my go-to on-bike drink for about 10 years. Its taste is decent, it has the requisite carbs and electrolytes, and it has not caused any GI problems for me.....................
Some years ago I also used Cytomax. Had it on my first 140.6 Ironman and thought it was fine. Sorry that the flavor has changed.

I tried Crank Sports e-Fuel https://www.cranksports.com/efuel/ at the suggestion of a friend along with their e-Gels and found the taste to be superior AND the nutritional value to be superior.

You can see on the comparison table https://www.cranksports.com/comparisons/cytomax/

Used both on last Sunday's 167 mile Cross Florida.
Old 04-15-18, 11:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

double post sorry

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-17-18 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 03:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's been a common complaint about several long time favorite supplements. My best guess is supplement makers are finding different sources for amino acids. The newer stuff tastes different.

There's been a lot of negative comments on health websites and customer reviews about the raw sources for amino acids. The most common sources reportedly were animal keratin, from stuff considered offal -- hide, fur, feathers, even hair (including human hair). Customers who didn't know this before are now regurgitating the same shocked reactions on Amazon reviews and elsewhere.

Understandably, the new trend in marketing is tied in with the blockchain concept. Customers want to know the beginning to end sources, right down to the faces of the farmers or ranchers and everyone who handles their food products along the way. That's a tough sell when your source for BCAAs is anonymous and often unscrupulous manufacturers in China raking together duck feathers, dung, rotting hides and human hair into a foul pot that eventually becomes amino acids for supplements.

Reportedly more reputable marques of supplements are switching to fermented vegan based amino acids, sourced from one particular company in Japan that's willing to jump on the blockchain bandwagon and enable customers to trace the sources of their food supplements, including seeing photos of the people who handled the raw materials.

The downside is some folks claim the fermented vegan amino acids have a peculiar or bitter flavor while the older style stuff produced through the wonders of chemistry from animal sources don't have much flavor.

Just a theory about why so many customers are reporting changes in flavors and ingredient percentages in several well known food supplements.

Incidentally, I see some customer reviews claiming "such and such manufacturing admitted to me they make their BCAAs from duck feathers." I'm gonna call B.S. on that. No manufacturer of food supplements will reveal that much detail to one complaining customer. They might say "Yes, the source is animal keratin." But they aren't going to say "Sorry, yes, your supplement was made from duck feathers, chicken poop and the hair of executed political prisoners." Not gonna happen.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-16-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 05:18 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's been a common complaint about several long time favorite supplements. My best guess is supplement makers are finding different sources for amino acids. The newer stuff tastes different.

There's been a lot of negative comments on health websites and customer reviews about the raw sources for amino acids. The most common sources reportedly were animal keratin, from stuff considered offal -- hide, fur, feathers, even hair (including human hair). Customers who didn't know this before are now regurgitating the same shocked reactions on Amazon reviews and elsewhere.

Understandably, the new trend in marketing is tied in with the blockchain concept. Customers want to know the beginning to end sources, right down to the faces of the farmers or ranchers and everyone who handles their food products along the way. That's a tough sell when your source for BCAAs is anonymous and often unscrupulous manufacturers in China raking together duck feathers, dung, rotting hides and human hair into a foul pot that eventually becomes amino acids for supplements.

Reportedly more reputable marques of supplements are switching to fermented vegan based amino acids, sourced from one particular company in Japan that's willing to jump on the blockchain bandwagon and enable customers to trace the sources of their food supplements, including seeing photos of the people who handled the raw materials.

The downside is some folks claim the fermented vegan amino acids have a peculiar or bitter flavor while the older style stuff produced through the wonders of chemistry from animal sources don't have much flavor.

Just a theory about why so many customers are reporting changes in flavors and ingredient percentages in several well known food supplements.

Incidentally, I see some customer reviews claiming "such and such manufacturing admitted to me they make their BCAAs from duck feathers." I'm gonna call B.S. on that. No manufacturer of food supplements will reveal that much detail to one complaining customer. They might say "Yes, the source is animal keratin." But they aren't going to say "Sorry, yes, your supplement was made from duck feathers, chicken poop and the hair of executed political prisoners." Not gonna happen.
DANG, anything but SOYLENT GREEN is OK with me.
Old 04-17-18, 01:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Soylent Brown is poople.