Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

About two Georgena Terrys

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

About two Georgena Terrys

Old 04-26-18, 10:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Ben- I didn't know that Georgena raced. I believe she did a few time trials locally for her fun. Is that what you meant? Or do you mean riders who she helped to sponsor raced with you? With only one fully working leg she would have been at a big disadvantage against able bodied riders. Andy
I didn't know about her leg and never met her. I was under the impression she raced the New York/New Jersey road scene. Maybe I am wrong. (Those years were also around my head injury.)

Ben
Old 04-27-18, 06:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Toe overlap is almost never a problem on any bike. Check out your own. Except for making a u-turn in the width of a normal 2-lane road you never turn the handlebar enough for it to matter.
I don't usually worry about it for my own bikes. It bothers some people a lot. My current road bike has overlap with fenders, I think, haven't experienced it lately. It is disconcerting, and happens at low speed where it's the biggest problem. But for many smaller people on poorly designed bikes, it's "foot overlap," not "toe overlap" I am pretty sure that in most cases when it has happened, I power the wheel past my toe. If that isn't possible, then you are going down hard. I consider that a problem.
Old 04-27-18, 09:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Most of my bikes have toe overlap. Even my long wheelbase Raleigh International has it. I assume it's because I wear size 12 shoes and have my cleats way back. Lucky for me it doesn't bother me. I use 170mm cranks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-27-18, 09:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I've busted fenders when I realized it was power past the hangup or crash. Usually if my toe/toeclip clears or near clears the tire, fenders will just push aside then pop past but if my foot absolutely doesn't clear the tire, the fender may end up eating it. Oh, my knees like 175 cranks and really don't like change, so all my bikes are 175. (I keep hearing that short cranks are a plus for knees, especially knees with chrondomalcia patella. Not my knees!)

Ben
Old 04-27-18, 10:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've busted fenders when I realized it was power past the hangup or crash. Usually if my toe/toeclip clears or near clears the tire, fenders will just push aside then pop past but if my foot absolutely doesn't clear the tire, the fender may end up eating it. Oh, my knees like 175 cranks and really don't like change, so all my bikes are 175. (I keep hearing that short cranks are a plus for knees, especially knees with chrondomalcia patella. Not my knees!)

Ben
I was diagnosed with chrondo about 40 years ago. It was suggested that rest, muscle balancing exorcizes and raising my seat would help. Can't say if these helped as I didn't raise my seat, reduced my riding for a few years and was never good at off bike exercising. I still have some knee issues but now the Drs call it incident damage and arthritis. What I have learned is that RICE costs nothing and we all wear out sometime. Andy
Old 04-28-18, 03:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My 1 foray into DIY Frame building, I went off the norm, by making the top tube longer than the seat tube, 60/58,

so with mudguards on I avoided TCO.. having the wheel that wee bit ahead of my center of mass

did make the wheel feel lighter.

built in 1974~ish , still works ,

[I have A Pauls Flatbed Rack on the front, now..]

Old 05-01-18, 09:12 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Using small wheels should be an option for anyone making frames for shorter women. Or for that matter an average sized woman or guys with shorter legs. The odds that all the custom design features available that can be used with 700 wheels are pretty small. There are good reasons why regular wheels probably compromise a shorter women’s frame. 1st women tend to like their handlebars higher (around the same height as their seat) to take the pressure off of the sensitive areas of their crotch. And they are also likely to want to sit a bit more upright anyway. These require a more setback saddle. If they are set up on a fitting bicycle to find their balance point (so they aren’t putting too much weight on their hands when they are on handlebars or brake hoods) than it is probable they will need a seat angle less than 73º along with a seat post that has a decent amount of setback. This shallower seat angle is going in the opposite direction of solving toe overlap. Combine that with a short top tube matching their shorter arms and torso and the only sensible solution is to use smaller wheels.

It is a great option anyway – especially if using lugs. 650C or 559 MTB rim size wheels look more proportional on smaller frames and the top tube won’t be smashed against the down tube. And they provides more straddle clearance. They make a small frame look more normal. Wheel weight is lighter and if one is drafting they can sit an inch closer to a back wheel. I’ve never understood why a custom builder would try and use the same poor solutions production companies might like specing a 76º seat angle with a very shallow head angle.

While it is true that an accomplished rider pedaling at a decent speed will not notice some toe overlap when turning, that doesn’t mean it is smart to design a frame with toe overlap. There is always a chance that someone misses a turn and does a Uie in the middle of the road and without thinking “oh I need to remember my toe will hit my front wheel" and they will go down splat. Most likely they will blame the designer/builder as they should.

The difference in gearing between 700c and 650c wheels is about one tooth on the back cog in higher gearing. In other words a 14 tooth cog with 700 wheels is approximately equal to a 13 tooth cog on a 650c. For normal riders not racing or training at high speed, this is not a disadvantage.

Georgina Terry was also a good businesswoman and my guess as to why they kept using 24/27” wheels after 26” became available was for marketing reasons. It is easy to know a Terry bicycle without looking at the decals.