Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Road Bike Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 01:51 PM
insignia100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
Road Bikes Options?

Hey guys,

I've restarted my cycling journey. Over the last 3 months I've lost around 26 lbs primarily by dieting, but also increasing my time on my Catrike (~144 miles from January thru March). In April my wife and I started hiking as well, and I'm up to comfortably being able to do 5-6 mile hikes on varied terrain. In February I bought a Giant Escape (can't remember the number) hybrid and have just started riding it.

I took a 4.5 mile ride today, which isn't much, but considering last week I couldn't even sit on the bike for more than 10 minutes before my butt was in excruciating pain, that's progress. And honestly, my legs were the limiting factor. As an aside, I've found that while I can ride my Catrike 20 miles pretty easily, a bike requires slightly different muscles that haven't yet been developed.

I'm considering upgrading to a decent road bike if I continue riding and can lose 25 more pounds. Right now I'm 282 lbs (down from around 308 at the start of the year), and I'd like to get to the 260 lbs range before getting a road bike.

My only problem? The options! Does it really matter which brand? Are bikes in similar price ranges comparable? Is it just a matter of finding a bike that feels good to ride, regardless of brand? Are there any brands to outright avoid (Walmart/Target specials being the obvious example)?

Edit: Tried to edit my title be

Last edited by insignia100; 05-06-18 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 05-06-18, 02:01 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
What is your price point? Are you willing to buy used?

I am 360 pounds at 6'3" and ride an Orbea Orca in 60cm frame, but have test ridden a Bianchi last year that was a dream to ride.

Bianchi, Orbea, and many other brands are good buys for guys like us. Set your price and find a bike in that price point knowing you will upgrade things like saddle, bars, and maybe even wheels.

Buy what you want to ride and have a good bike fit done (more than just raising and lowering saddle and making sure frame is correct size).

My Orbea retailed at $3500.00, but due to it being a 2013 model when I bought it new in 2015 I paid $1700.00 out the door. I then put a $200.00 saddle on it, but the saddle had been in the shop's inventory for over a year so I paid $100.00 for it. I then changed bars and stem to carbon fiber bars ($300.00), and upgraded the drivetrain to Ultegra 11 speed from 105 10 speed. The kicker were the wheels which I purchased new due to their design and weight which are the Rolf Prima Vigor RS (OEM) that cost $900.00.
I completed these upgrades over time, but am now thinking of a new saddle.

Buy what you want to ride, make the component changes you want, look at your local bike shop for last year's models to save money, and ride ride ride.
Old 05-06-18, 02:18 PM
insignia100

Budget is somewhere below $1500, and I plan on having to get new wheels to accommodate my weight. Not interested in carbon frames, so I figure I can get a slightly better alloy framed bike than a similarly priced carbon framed bike. I also hear good things about the Shimano 105s being a good bang for the buck, and bikes with those aren't difficult to find in my price range.
Old 05-06-18, 09:43 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
If you have Performance bike in your area, take a look at the Breezer Radar Pro. Steel frame for decent ride quality and very durable.

It can take very big tires, comes with 45c tires, and has pretty beefy double walled rims intended for offroad use.

Bigger tires mean less stress on the wheelset and more comfort for you.

You could always get a better wheelset later, but the bike will be fine for you as is, maybe a saddle swap if you don't like the one it has.

Heck of a lot of bike for $1500, and usually you can find a deal.
Old 05-06-18, 10:08 PM
minerva79

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new 105 set should be coming out on next year bike's model. For some brands, those models would be selling as soon as third quarter this year. If you ain't in a hurry, I would wait on the new bike models next quarter.
Old 05-28-18, 08:42 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I love my Specialized Sequoia Elite, it is a great road bike with different tires.
Old 05-28-18, 10:37 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I'd start with something like this, bit more relaxed geo, has disc brakes so better stopping power and modulation. Cannondale has lifetime warranty on framesets to the 1st owner. I'd get at least 105 or rival grouppo for your $1500. This synapse comes with 34/32 climbing gear so it will get you up 99% of the paved public roads.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...5-305245-1.htm

If you're a steel is real dude then ths maybe the ticket
https://www.konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-29-18, 10:54 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'd start with something like this, bit more relaxed geo, has disc brakes so better stopping power and modulation. Cannondale has lifetime warranty on framesets to the 1st owner. I'd get at least 105 or rival grouppo for your $1500. This synapse comes with 34/32 climbing gear so it will get you up 99% of the paved public roads.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...5-305245-1.htm

If you're a steel is real dude then ths maybe the ticket
KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove ST
Great suggestion. I would throw in that changing wheels is not a given; I've ridden from 300 lbs on the stock wheels that came with my Diverge. If someone "must" spend extra money, they would probably enjoy their new bike more after investing in a bike fit. A bike fit may be free at that price point anyway.
Old 05-29-18, 11:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100
Hey guys,

I've restarted my cycling journey. Over the last 3 months I've lost around 26 lbs primarily by dieting, but also increasing my time on my Catrike (~144 miles from January thru March). In April my wife and I started hiking as well, and I'm up to comfortably being able to do 5-6 mile hikes on varied terrain. In February I bought a Giant Escape (can't remember the number) hybrid and have just started riding it.

I took a 4.5 mile ride today, which isn't much, but considering last week I couldn't even sit on the bike for more than 10 minutes before my butt was in excruciating pain, that's progress. And honestly, my legs were the limiting factor. As an aside, I've found that while I can ride my Catrike 20 miles pretty easily, a bike requires slightly different muscles that haven't yet been developed.

I'm considering upgrading to a decent road bike if I continue riding and can lose 25 more pounds. Right now I'm 282 lbs (down from around 308 at the start of the year), and I'd like to get to the 260 lbs range before getting a road bike.

My only problem? The options! Does it really matter which brand? Are bikes in similar price ranges comparable? Is it just a matter of finding a bike that feels good to ride, regardless of brand? Are there any brands to outright avoid (Walmart/Target specials being the obvious example)?

Edit: Tried to edit my title be
Since you just bought your hybrid just a few short months ago, stick with it for another season or two so you can learn what is important to you. $1,500 is a more than reasonable budget, but then again, if wheels are a concern, maybe you need to budget more. Or maybe if you drop enough weight, budgeting for heavy duty wheels on a light weight bike might not e as much of a priority. Shimano 105 is very good, but then again, so is Tiagra, and even Sora. You don't really need and 11 speed drive train, but I imagine it might be nice to have, if you are buying a brand new bike. (full disclosure, my bike is a 3 x 9, and I would not trade those ratios for any 2 x 11, as it seems to me, today's compact road doubles are not optimal for bigger guys). Some road bikes are coming with hydraulic disc brakes, and clearance for wide tires. All of these things might matter to you, or then again they might not. My bike has cantilever brakes, which I like enough, or at least don't dislike enough to replace my entire bike. Clearance for wider tires is, IMO, a very good thing, especially for larger riders.
Old 06-01-18, 08:13 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Many of these comments/ concerns is why i bought a gravel bike. More sturdy wheels, solid frame, and lower gearing from the factory.
Old 06-01-18, 04:25 PM
insignia100

I've pretty much decided that I'll go with a gravel bike.... eventually. Still working on my distance and weight loss, though I'm gradually increasing the former and decreasing the latter! My longest ride so far was 13 miles (this morning), but I felt like I could have gone longer. I didn't, though, because it was getting hot here in the desert. Note to self: I'm going to HAVE to start getting up earlier if I want to beat the heat and keep progressing.