Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need help picking my first “Athena” bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 09:02 PM
Bookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to love reading my bike but since becoming a mom and gaining soooo much weight during pregnancy and after, I haven’t been on a bike in 7 years. Now I’m 380 lbs and need help. I really wanted a pretty mint colored beach cruiser but I think I need to pass because I definitely want hand breaks and they all seem to be coaster brakes. So here are my wants:

1. easy to get on and off (step through?)
2. Cute (don’t laugh, this is important!) LOVE the look of beach cruisers so much
3. Hand brakes
4. Can handle 380 lbs (I’m doing WW and hoping biking will help my weight loss efforts)
5. Under $600
6. I’d like to sit as upright as possible which is another reason I like the idea of beach cruisers.
7. I don’t have time to build my own bike from used parts although I totally think you all who do are awesome!
8. 3 or more gears

is this possible? Can’t I just get a threesixzero cruiser that’s rated up to 300 lbs and put better wheels/spokes on it? Although I don’t think their cruisers have hand breaks.

Last edited by Bookgirl; 05-09-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 09:38 PM
minerva79

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're so keen on a cruiser, then go grab one. Just make sure you swap it for a sturdier rim and wide tyres. Best if you can visit a LBS and see if they have a deal for this requirement under your budget.

It's more important to get a bike you want to ride.

p.s. I'm around the 300lbs mark and ride around with a 16" wheel foldable bike.

Last edited by minerva79; 05-08-18 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 10:32 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bookgirl, I am also an Athena, mom, and huge fan of Trek bikes. I think this may also be my first post!

I recommend checking out a Trek FX Stagger, or an 820 women’s design. Both are step through, very inexpensive, yes one even comes in mint, and Trek bikes are great quality. I’ll admit I have never ridden either, but they may be worth a glance. As for weight max, Trek advertises the standard 300 lb but that would be a good conversation to have if you can visit a LBS that sells the brand. What Minerva suggests could be a good option if necessary.

Good luck and post if you find something!
Old 05-09-18, 03:35 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
2. Cute (don’t laugh, this is important!) LOVE the look of beach cruisers so much
3. Hand brakes
#2 - I'm not laughing. Matter of fact, when people post their typical "which should I get" questions my usual response is "which one do you think looks cooler" because if you don't like it, you won't ride it. Enjoy!

#3 - why? Coaster brakes are awesome on single speed bikes, but if you get a geared bike, you'll probably have to deal with hand brakes.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-18, 12:53 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I’d second the Trek recommendation but I’d recommend the Verve. Alternatively I’d look into a Schwinn Comfort Hybrid. I know they can handle your weight because that’s what I rode but if you’re seriously wanting to get into it and you have the budget the Verve would be a good place to start.